Talk

Advanced search

New abuse case at a nursery

(14 Posts)
purepurple Wed 24-Jun-09 19:07:00

How can we stop this happening?

www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Blackpool-nursery-sex-abuse-fears.5395385.jp

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Wed 24-Jun-09 19:09:46

You can't. Unless you can predict who will offend and poeple are happy to pay double nursery fees so the staff can double up then you can't. That assumes all checks and, crucially, references, are taken up.

It's awful, a complete horror but we have to realise how few cases there are overall and that in all faith the system is probably working.

And make sure everything is done to support the poor mites that have been affected sad

Ripeberry Wed 24-Jun-09 21:15:18

This is going to be bad for any men who work with children sad

TinyPawz Wed 24-Jun-09 22:46:20

I am becoming more and more inclined to think that capital punishment is the way forward!!!

fucking scum

SomeGuy Wed 24-Jun-09 23:18:51

But the previous nursery abuse case was a woman.

TinyPawz Thu 25-Jun-09 00:04:54

Male or female doesn't matter. They should be taken down an alley and shot!

purepurple Thu 25-Jun-09 07:23:01

Ripeberrr, my thoughts exactly.
Men in child care have overcome a lot of prejudice in recent years. This is not going to help at all.
I can see parents requesting that children are never left alone with one person. That will be very expensive, to have to double up on staff, and the industry couldn't sustain the extra costs without passing them on to the parents. This would make child care too expensive for many. Nurseries would be empty and I would be out of a job.
Maybe the onus should be placed on the other staff to be more proactive and report other staff members. Do we assume that because they work with children and have been police cleared that they are model citizens?
Will it create an environment where everyone feels 'watched' and under surveillance?
Some people might argue for CCTV. But how about children's rights for privacy and dignity at intimate times like nappy changing and toileting?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 25-Jun-09 07:40:28

ripeberry it is bad for men, but it is also bad for women as the most recent case in Devon evidenced that women are able to do this too.

I live close to the nursery in Devon where the woman worked and I was devestated for those parents who have experienced such stress over the last few weeks. But, it cannot stop DD from going to nursery again in Sept, it cannot stop us from letting her experience life. We have to do what we can to protect her of course we do, but we cannot remove risk completely without damaging her future (ie keep her at home)

sarah293 Thu 25-Jun-09 07:51:21

Message withdrawn

BellaBear Thu 25-Jun-09 07:54:45

Interesting about doubling up - what about childminders?

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 09:22:22

I couldn'yt pay for doublingup, DS4 starts in childcare a few hours nxt term so I can get the voluntary experience needed for my choice of job and it'll be enough hardship paying that

I am blessed to have a CM that I dore and totally trust, however there are a great many in our situation.

sarah293 Thu 25-Jun-09 09:39:53

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 09:46:39

Ahb yes LOL

Course mostly people dont need childcare if they have a job

MOST peoples entire list of ex employers haven't gone to the wall in the Recession <<thunk>> leaving them efectibely reference -less LOL <<sob>>

purepurple Thu 25-Jun-09 18:54:44

It is not uncommon for children to be alone with members of staff and 2 people are not required for nappy changes/toileting.

I work in a pre-school room of a day nursery. We have 3 rooms to use and we split up into smaller groups for some of the day, with one adult and eight children, as the ratio permits, in each room.

We don't have children in nappies at the moment, but might do in September when the new children move up. One person will do the nappies on their own, in a bathroom that is separate from the other rooms. Tolieting is done by one person too, as is changing children when they have accidents. We do tend to leave all the doors open so we can see/hear each other but we do sometimes close them to prevent the children running out of the rooms or when it is too noisy.
I don't know about other nursery's working practices.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: