Advanced search

world hunger reaches 1 billion

(14 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 18:43:40

Message withdrawn

MaryMotherOfGod Fri 19-Jun-09 18:51:51

madlentileater Fri 19-Jun-09 18:59:12

that's one in six of us.
Think of one in six kids in your dcs class or one in six of your friends and neighbours.

knockedgymnast Fri 19-Jun-09 20:28:32

That's so, so sad

LaydeeStardust Fri 19-Jun-09 20:44:53

It's just awful,disgraceful that some of the world is so "rich" while others suffer. I've been moaning on today about money worries ...but at least I can feed my children.

What can people realistically do to help? I donate to charities etc but it just seems like a drop in the ocean

Feel so helpless

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 20:46:49

sad We're so lucky having an endless supply of food.

dilemma456 Fri 19-Jun-09 21:45:14

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sat 20-Jun-09 08:17:12

Message withdrawn

wahwah Sat 20-Jun-09 08:43:56

Certainly puts most of my whines and worries in perspective.

I was just reading about New Look charging a couple of quid more for size 18 jeans, bringing it to a grand total of 12 quid. Makes you think about the luxury of being able to buy such cheap clothes and eating enough to get to that size.

sarah293 Sat 20-Jun-09 08:50:36

Message withdrawn

onagar Sat 20-Jun-09 09:51:55

What's the definition of hunger? I mean obviously it doesn't mean no food at all.

sarah293 Sat 20-Jun-09 13:04:51

Message withdrawn

policywonk Sat 20-Jun-09 13:17:09

I think hunger, in this sense, basically means food insecurity - not knowing where the next meal is coming from - and suffering from malnutrition. Of course, malnutrition has huge knock-on health effects, especially on children, and can affect an entire society's ability to function well.

Rising food prices are a big problem, globally, and have been for a few years. They are thought to be caused by the increase in China's food consumption, especially meat (as China has become more affluent). It's also the result of the USA and other countries converting food crops into biofuels.

What can we do? Write to your MPs and ask them to vote for increases in DFID funding to deal with the hunger crisis. If politicians know that their consituents care about this stuff, it will get more money. Donate to trusted NGOs and charities.

madlentileater Mon 22-Jun-09 19:30:20

Just wanted to add....in addition to pw's excellent suggestions-
(esp re writing to your MP)
buy Fair Trade stuff when you can and talk to your dcs about why,
bring you children up to care about what happens, and think that they can make a difference- talk to them about how things have changed in the past (eg women's vote, abolition of slave trade, apartheid)get them to find stuff out- people like Oxfam, CXhristian Aid have v accessible kids websites with games and stuff.
Also (sorry to go on) remember that climate change is causing hunger NOW and will continue to do so, again this is something that we can all do something about even if it's only a little bit, and let your MP know yu are hoping for serious progress at the talks in Copenhaged in December.
I'll shut up now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now