Talk

Advanced search

Should this policeman be allowed his police pension?

(15 Posts)
Doonhamer Wed 17-Jun-09 15:03:07

here and there's more
here about his legal aid
I knew this man, and trusted him as a policeman. I don't think he should be allowed his police pension, regardless of how long he was in the force, he betrayed the trust others had in him. I do know someone though who thinks he should be able to get it all.
I am genuienly interested to hear what others think

herbietea Wed 17-Jun-09 15:09:07

Message withdrawn

Doonhamer Wed 17-Jun-09 15:15:34

It is quite shocking isn't it? he was in my house on more than one occasion! it's shocking to think what he could have done

GrandadOnagar Wed 17-Jun-09 15:17:38

I understand the feeling, but you pay in for a pension don't you so I suppose that's got to be a seperate thing. If it was a reward for good service that would be different.

edam Wed 17-Jun-09 15:18:58

He only served seven years for two rapes? Bloody hell. Should be grateful he's not in for 15, not bellyaching about his ruddy pension. (I note he's still receiving part of it anyway.)

Would be appropriate if one of his victims sued. Although I expect the last thing they would want is to have anything to do with this scum ever again.

edam Wed 17-Jun-09 15:20:18

Onager, he is getting the part of the pension covered by his own contributions - just not the employer's contributions.

Doonhamer Wed 17-Jun-09 15:21:14

They probably see him a lot, as he is back living in Dumfries and walks about as bold as brass!hmm

PortAndLemon Wed 17-Jun-09 15:22:21

No way should he get the employers' contribution bit. As I understand it that's very clear from his terms of employment.

I am tempted to suggest that he should get all his police pension, but that his victims should be awarded damages against him that will conveniently eat it all up when paid in installments. Probably tricky to manage, though.

littleducks Wed 17-Jun-09 15:34:06

Morally he def shouldnt get it, but practically i suppose it depends on his terms of employment and contract, hopefully they were explicit and he will have no case

GrandadOnagar Wed 17-Jun-09 15:35:52

Edam, maybe that is ok then. I suppose it depends on the contract.

And yeah I'd have no problem with the victims suing and leaving him penniless. I do think an officer who commits crimes has committed an extra one because of his position.

Doonhamer Wed 17-Jun-09 15:40:21

D&G constabulary waited until he was charged and jailed before dismissing him

LeninGrad Wed 17-Jun-09 15:48:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doonhamer Wed 17-Jun-09 16:04:12

I'm inclined to think that rape is more than gross misconduct, but I get your point.

LeninGrad Wed 17-Jun-09 16:21:07

LeninGrad Wed 17-Jun-09 16:25:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now