Talk

Advanced search

What to do about this political dilemma?

(14 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Wed 17-Jun-09 14:42:28

I am planning ahead to next year's election. How do I vote?

Conservatives to scrap ID cards for sure

So. Do I run the risk of allowing the completion of the objectionable ID cards project? Or do I go against my life-long moral stance and vote Conservative? <<shudder>>

What would you do?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 17-Jun-09 14:45:53

I'd vote conservative. Think whether you dislike their policies or whether you just dislike them out of principle. If you don't like their policies then just find someone else to vote for, if it's because of the principle then it's time for a rethink!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 17-Jun-09 14:48:54

You've got to think about the bigger picture. ID cards are important but they are just one issue - you need to weigh it up against all the other Conservative policies and see if you could live with a Conservative government overall.
I agree with you about ID cards, but I would rather try to put pressure on Labour to scrap the scheme then vote for a party whose core polices I detest because they agree with me on this one issue.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Jun-09 15:03:08

Labour are thinking about quietly dropping the ID card thing anyway - it costs far too much and is unpopular. I couldn't bring myself to vote Tory and haven't voted Labour since Tony did away with Clause 4, but fortunately I have the SNP option.

Callisto Wed 17-Jun-09 15:06:52

Vote Conservative - there is no evidence that Labour intend to drop ID cards (they are already mumbling about it being cheaper to implement them than drop them at this stage) and they also want to bring in a host of other measure that aim to infringe civil rights in the UK - contact point and the Badman review to name just two. To me ID cards are the biggest issue at present and we are desperately in need of a party who believes in small government.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 17-Jun-09 15:21:35

Old Lady - where did you hear that?

I'd find it even harder to vote Labour than Con, at the mo (have never voted Labour), but I feel that for once in my life I ought to vote strategically rather than on principle.

Callisto what are 'contact point' and 'the Badman review'?

If I voted BNP and they got in, do you reckon they'd repatriate me to the Bahamas at cost to the taxpayer? wink

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Jun-09 15:27:06

I'm not sure where I heard it MrsMerryHenry, it may have been on Andrew Neil's show and so more "informed speculation" than "Government statement" iykwim. Seems logical to me though, on expense grounds if nothing else.

edam Wed 17-Jun-09 15:29:57

Contactpoint - massive database containing confidential details of all children in the UK, supposedly to help avoid another Victoria Climbie - except that apparently it's not secure enough for celebs and VIPs' children, just us plebs. Obviously no MP, govt. minister or person who has graced the pages of Hello has ever abused a child... hmm

I am seriously tempted to vote Tory for the first time ever in a general election on the ID cards issue, especially as they have written to the IT companies warning them it will be dropped if they get into power.

edam Wed 17-Jun-09 15:33:47

Oh, Badman review - following the Baby P case (where people in health, police and social services DID share info but were still useless). Badman is having a go at home education because clearly that would prevented Baby P, what with him being a baby and all. hmm

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Jun-09 15:33:57

The official line on Contact Point here, concerns about it here (and many other places.) Badman Review on home-educated children here, while these people have feedback.

LeninGrad Wed 17-Jun-09 15:41:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMerryHenry Wed 17-Jun-09 16:17:39

"I'd really like the lefty parties to sort out some agreements so they don't split the vote" - too blardy right.

Thanks all for info on contact point/ badman.

Tinker Wed 17-Jun-09 16:21:07

I'm not sure I could vote on a single issue. Could never vote Tory though so have no dilemma with this one

edam Wed 17-Jun-09 16:31:12

Some new Labour lickspittle said on the radio this morning ID cards were a manifesto pledge. I've checked, and the manifesto actually said, in a section on 'strong and secure borders':
"We will issue ID cards to all visitors planning to stay for more than three months."

And went on to say: "We will introduce ID cards, including biometric data like fingerprints, backed up by a national register and rolling out initially on a voluntary basis as people renew their passports."

So, not quite a clear warning to the general population that we will all be forced to pay for and have ID cards, and nothing about the extensive database. Hidden away in a section on immigration and described as voluntary...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now