Talk

Advanced search

OMG - boy drowns on beavers trip

(19 Posts)
PeedOffWithNits Wed 17-Jun-09 12:57:29

uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090617/tuk-river-tragedy-child-dies-on-scouting-45dbed5.html

sadthere are no strong enough words of utter disbelief and sadness at this story

GypsyMoth Wed 17-Jun-09 13:02:58

That's terrible!

My ds has his letter for beavers. There is a space free and letter says it's a 6:1 ratio of adult to children.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 17-Jun-09 13:05:07

sad

Truly awful. I have a 6 year old DS. That story really chilled me.

Poor, poor family.

PeedOffWithNits Wed 17-Jun-09 13:06:46

i cannot imagine how it could have happened

if you take kids near water, you get EXTRA adults in to watch them like a hawk! (I am a Rainbows guider)

so sad and shocking

psychomum5 Wed 17-Jun-09 13:10:21

OMGshock

how must the beaver leaders be feeling.....knowing that somehow something has happened so tragically that it has led to broken hearted parents.

terribly sad.

Hulababy Wed 17-Jun-09 13:11:10

How sad

How he ended up int he water is not yet known, so can't comment on safety aspects surrounding it, etc.

Just important to bear in mind that this should not prevent parents from letting their children attend similar activities. Sad as this is, it is rare - and remember these kind of tragedies can also occur when children are ut with parents with just a couple of children and two parents.

Poor boy and poor family

arfur Wed 17-Jun-09 13:48:19

Have been in tears since I heard this earlier. I am an assistant at my sons beaver scouts and we do a similar walk every year (did it about a month ago) and we do have loads of extra adults to help. So so sad for everyone involved. We are supposed to be off on our big beaver day out on Saturday, doesnt seem right now really sad

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 13:51:58

sadsad

That is so so sad.

2plus2 Wed 17-Jun-09 15:42:27

Taking our Beavers out on a visit to the woods next week makes you think twice. Not sure I would take them near water. So sad for the family and all involved. sad

herbietea Wed 17-Jun-09 15:44:12

Message withdrawn

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 17-Jun-09 15:51:47

I live quite near Sudbury. The same river runs through our village. The best friend of the boys mum was on our local news and it was so upsetting to hear her talking about him, she was distraught.

blametheparents Wed 17-Jun-09 16:09:36

So very sad sad

princessmel Wed 17-Jun-09 16:15:15

Awful ds is on the Beavers waiting list.

LouMacca Wed 17-Jun-09 16:20:03

So so sad sad My heart goes out to this poor boys family.

My 6 yr old son is also on the Beavers waiting list and this story has had me in tears since I heard it.

RIP Little Alan x

Whimsy Wed 17-Jun-09 20:53:54

So very sad, the poor family

2shoes Wed 17-Jun-09 21:55:35

poor little lad and poor a family

MamaMaiasaura Wed 17-Jun-09 22:12:24

So very very sad

Arfur - ditto about saturday. Ds1 off to Gillwell Park.

unknownrebelbang Wed 17-Jun-09 23:07:25

I've not read the link, but heard about it briefly earlier on.

It's so sad, and as a helper at Beavers it sent a shiver down my spine. Can't begin to imagine how those involved - family, leaders, the other beavers - are all feeling.

candyfluff Thu 18-Jun-09 12:52:20

i know the family well in live in the town where it happened ,i used to work with alan's mum .
so very sad
a beautiful boy
rest in peace little man xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now