Talk

Advanced search

Do you actually know anyone in real life who is in favour of ID Cards?

(119 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 11:43:24

I am baffled. It seems everyone hates them either on grounds of cost or invation of civil liberties.

But go on, enlighten me, are there real people (MPS excluded from the definition of Real People) who want them rolled out?

Related article here about the Tories warning the bidders that the scheme will be scrapped and that they shouldn't invest heavily in a contract that is going to be cancelled if when they win the general election.

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 11:45:29

invation invasion blush

Bucharest Wed 17-Jun-09 11:46:00

Erm, me. grin
Nothing to hide, and don't quite believe all the guff in telly dramas like that thing with Max "oh you've got your bum out again" Beesley.

FAQinglovely Wed 17-Jun-09 11:48:33

I'm certainly not - especially as their focus really seems to be on getting "foreign nationals" living in the UK to have them.......

artichokes Wed 17-Jun-09 11:49:19

I would support them if they were compulsory for everyone. If the gov and been brave enough to go thevwhole hog I beleive they would have been v useful in combating benefit fraud, illegal immigration, crime and terrorism.

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 11:49:50

I don't have anything to hide either. I oppose them because:

1. The scheme is too expensive.
2. The cards will not fulfill the very purpose for which they are intended.
3. The government is so very very obviously not to be trusted with anyone's data.

But, lots of people oppose them because of a violation of privacy.

Have you seen the list of data they want the ID cards to hols? It's on the BBC website somewhere. And it is totally unmanageable.

Portofino Wed 17-Jun-09 11:51:37

Me. I have one! I'm not in the UK, but really can't see what all the fuss is about. My is valid as photo id to travel within Europe. In Belgium you are required by law to carry one, along with your driving licence and insurance if you're in the car. It is just the norm. I've never heard anyone get worked about it. When you move house and register in a new area, the Police come and check you live where you say you do. Nothing to hide an all that....

Portofino Wed 17-Jun-09 11:52:51

Please excuse typing errors!

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 17-Jun-09 11:53:33

I don't want them - and I come from a country where ID was compulsory!!

I just don't see what point such a costly ID card will provide?

dittany Wed 17-Jun-09 11:55:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 11:55:41

ID Cards data plans

Heathcliffscathy Wed 17-Jun-09 11:56:46

no

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 12:00:24

Out of curiosity, what data is held on the ID cards of European countries for whom they are compulsory?

sarah293 Wed 17-Jun-09 12:02:24

Message withdrawn

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 12:05:29

I think the Belgian ID Card is not at all the same thing as the proposed UK ID Card.

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 12:06:23

Not me. grin I'll get one if I have to. But I just might run off and get a UK passprt first so I can 1- avoid the ID Card and 2- vote for the Tories.

slug Wed 17-Jun-09 12:10:27

Am in two minds about this one. For a start I don't trust the Govt to keep data safe, there is no evidence they will combat terrorism, or whatever justification they are using this week, and the cost is stupidly high.

On the other hand, I am a foreign national living in the UK. The level of evidence the Home Office requires simply to move my visa from my old passport to my new one is simply staggering. I'm talking photo identifiction, because apparantly my passport is not identification enough, proof ov everywhere I have lived and worked since I came here 16 years ago, proof of how I applied for my original visa, because apparantly their letter to me stating this is the only evidence I need, is no longer enough either....the list goes on. A simple card that covers all of this is one of my wistful fantasies.

mrsruffallo Wed 17-Jun-09 12:13:41

I think an ID card is a good idea.

TwoIfBySea Wed 17-Jun-09 12:20:33

I know not one single person who doesn't grimace when these things are mentioned. Nearly everyone has said "well, we've got a passport so?"

That is my argument exactly, I'm about to be robbed of £46 each for a passport for my dts - not including photos. As someone who used to work for the passport agency I know this is a complete farce and money raking scheme.

So the idea I have a drivers licence, passport and then have to pay for an id card too is ridiculous!

SomeGuy Wed 17-Jun-09 12:25:34

Actually the exorbitant passport cost (doubled in 10 years) is to pay for ID cards. And that's official policy, not just scurrilous gossip.

Portofino Wed 17-Jun-09 13:34:52

Exorbitant is the word! Dh and Dd have had to send their passports to the British Consulate in Paris to be renewed at a cost of 94 euros for dd and 164 euros for DH! Dd is 5 and only needs a new photo. I think they are taking the piss!

Bramshott Wed 17-Jun-09 13:48:33

My word, that's a lot of information!! Any criminal getting hold of one of those would be having a field day!

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Jun-09 13:48:50

MrsRuffalo, why do you think it's a good idea.

Actually, I don't really mind an ID card in principal. I just mind THIS ID card. I'm happy for the government ot know:

Where I live
My full name
My maiden name
My US passport information
My children's and husbands names
My occupation
My phone number
My e-mail address
My blood type
My mother's maiden name

But they already know all of these things (if they haven't lost them).

So, what purpose does this card serve?

And when I lose the card -- and I will because I have a spectacular gift for losing things -- will whoever finds it be able to read what is on there? Of course they will. Seems to me this will help and not hinder identity fraud.

Bucharest Wed 17-Jun-09 14:07:19

Portofino Slight hijack here, but I'm currently waiting for my renewed ppt back from the Brit Embassy in Rome- here we pay 145 euro, any idea why yours is more expensive in Paris? It shouldn't be surely?
I'm already really cross at the tyrannical way they give their orders and then we have to pay through the nose....(I used to work for the Home Office as well, so completely know what TwoIfthesea is talking about)

I'm going to complain at least about the service once my ppt is in my grubby hands....not before, like, as I imagine it would get "lost" if I did.

<end hijack, sorry!>

verytiredmummy Wed 17-Jun-09 14:13:56

I am absolutely and vehemently against ID cards. In fact, I've yet to hear one argument that proves they have any good points at all. How will they prevent terrorism? Or benefit fraud? Or any crimes at all? How will they make my life better?

I'm really shocked that if you move house in Belgium the police come and check that you live where you say you do. It's like being on the sex offenders' register! Surely you can live wherever you blimmin' well like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now