WTF?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8104287.stm

Has anyone got any context on this?

SomeGuy Wed 17-Jun-09 11:26:11

re: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8100501.stm
and
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8102036.stm

PlumBumMum Wed 17-Jun-09 11:29:46

Just heard it this morning, think I must be living in a little bubble had no idea!

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 17-Jun-09 11:43:57

Bloody hell this is appalling. This is the first I've heard of it. What utterly despicable behaviour.

Most depressing "There have been racial tensions in the area since trouble erupted at a World Cup qualifier between Northern Ireland and Poland at Windsor Park in March."

So there's trouble at a football match and that justifies attcking pregnant women and children. FFS.

TwoIfBySea Wed 17-Jun-09 12:24:05

First the BNP get in and then this.

Thugs will always find a way to vent their spite and if nothing is done then I fear this is going to get a lot worse.

Of course the government's joke of an immigration policy is partly to blame however the psyche of the kind of people who would do this kind of thing perhaps has no easy resolution.

Metella Wed 17-Jun-09 12:29:27

I'm not surprised. People in Northern Ireland have a long tradition of intimidating and burning people out of their homes. They've just moved on to a new bunch of victims.

My mum's next door neighbours (in NI) were Portuguese and they were driven from their home a few years back.

Those poor people. Sadly there is a small section of NI society who have too much time on their hands now that their bombing and shooting days are behind them.

Bonneville Wed 17-Jun-09 12:45:20

I hadnt heard this but it dosent surprise me and I think we will see a lot more of this sort of thing in the coming years.sad

Ripeberry Wed 17-Jun-09 13:18:55

Certain parts of N.I can't even tolerate any one of another religion, let alone another race.angry

expatinscotland Wed 17-Jun-09 13:28:55

I've only ever been to NI once, and people drove like maniacs. I mean, they made people from California look like considerate drivers! We felt lucky to escape with our lives.

PlumBumMum Wed 17-Jun-09 13:41:33

Maybe thats why I found it easy to drive in LA hmm

But can I just say I am deeply dissappointed, and saddened about this and point out that not all people in N Ireland have a long tradition of intimidating and burning people out of their homes, it is a very small minority sad

HelloBeastie Wed 17-Jun-09 18:50:49

Can someone who lives in Belfast (I left over 15 years ago) explain why people are being attacked on the Lisburn Road? Surely this is a student-type area, where folks are usually a bit more tolerant and cosmopolitan?

(for those not from NI, it is VERY IMPORTANT to know the, er, 'character' of an area before moving in. Or visiting in fact)

Metella Wed 17-Jun-09 18:56:48

Indeed, PlumBumMum, I worded that bit badly but I did mention it was a minority further on!!

HelloBeastie on the BBC they only described it as being a "loyalist" area.

MrsBoo Wed 17-Jun-09 18:59:55

Not so much of a student area anymore - tis the loyalist who don't like anyone.
Think they suspect that Romanians and Polish etc are Catholics, and therefore in their tiny minds not to be trusted.

Actually the vast majority of NI are very tolerant and sympathetic - its just the few thugs who get all the media attention.

The good news stories - dont make good telly.

HelloBeastie Wed 17-Jun-09 19:32:14

Do you know what MrsBoo I had totally forgotten that Polish people are generally Catholic and the implications of that. blush

I have been away for a long time.

Metella Wed 17-Jun-09 19:41:32

Well, my mum lived in a Catholic area and her Portuguese neighbours were also Catholic. It didn't stop the yobbos and hooded thugs terrorising them on a daily basis.

glastocat Wed 17-Jun-09 19:45:41

Good god I used to live on the Lisburn Road! shock It was definitely studentland 15-20 years ago. This is just terrible, but it doesn't surprise me really. sad

HelloBeastie Wed 17-Jun-09 20:07:24

Oh, yeah, totally agree Metella, but I'd read the article assuming it was a completely racist thing, it simply hadn't occurred to me that religion could be a factor. For which i feel a bit silly; like I say, I grew up there! Doh!

SomeGuy Thu 18-Jun-09 00:04:42

That does put an interesting perspective on it. Presumably it would be dangerous for Catholics of any background in the wrong parts, as it would be for Protestants. Perhaps they didn't know/couldn't afford to live elsewhere. I'm guessing the worst places are cheapest to live.

Though it does mention that those involved are Roma, which is gypsy, which is problematic in lots of places.

hedgiemum Thu 18-Jun-09 00:46:57

I have heard from extended family in NI that it was done by thugs (including former loyalist paramilitaries) who have lost their jobs recently. Also that the motive was because their victims are Roma (aka "thieving gypsy bastards" in the local parlance) rather than Catholic.

On the wider issue of violence in NI, ultimately these issues are economic not about Faith; during the boom years things simmered down a lot as most people were gainfully employed, seeing their house prices boom, and feeling rich and satisfied. No co-incidence that the credit crunch hit, and a few months later there were Republican attacks again - instigated by the thick, violent, idiots who were the first to lose their jobs when businesses started to fail.

Chaotica Thu 18-Jun-09 00:59:29

What makes it worse is that they probably left romania because of the vicious anti-roma violence there... (Some people never get a break.)

nicm Thu 18-Jun-09 09:21:27

hellobeastie i wondered this too as it's on the lisburn road but is on the village end of it apparently. mostly students but also a lot of local's that would be loyalist. (the wee bit from the motorway to the city hospital i think)

chevre Thu 18-Jun-09 09:48:02

i suspect only people from ni will get this, 'story' follows similar attacks against chinese community in 2003

glastocat Thu 18-Jun-09 14:09:05

Aww I used to love the Portydown news. [smile}

chevre Thu 18-Jun-09 15:03:35

i know, he is the funniest man alive.

chevre Thu 18-Jun-09 15:10:47

wells of bitters made me pmsl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now