Talk

Advanced search

Light sensors cause religious row

(1004 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 21:48:39

Story here.

Maybe they should just move?

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 21:55:19

So, they move into a property that has a shared entrance and presumably a stairwell, that is for 35 other flats.

They can not have the lights on during their Sabbath or religious holidays.

I only hope IF they are successful, that they have very good insurance because if someone was to have an accident falling down an unlit stair, I would think they would be sued.

I agree that they should move, it does seem a little bit, dare I say it, selfish of them.

After all, if the lights are automatic, it isn't as if they are personally using them?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:28

by walking past the sensors though they are in effect switching them on

Goblinchild Tue 16-Jun-09 21:57:16

The council should ask advice from the Religious Court, forgot what the proper name is.
It might well rule that as the occupants are not switching them on themselves, it's OK.
Sometimes religious individuals think they're following the rules, when in fact they may have misinterpreted them. Need a proper ruling. smile

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 21:57:44

they can have lights on, just not switch them on themselves..which is why religious Jews have timers for things like lights,tv,cookers etc

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 21:57:51

they can have lights on, just not switch them on themselves..which is why religious Jews have timers for things like lights,tv,cookers etc

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 21:57:59

So, if they are admitted to hospital, do they have to ask for electrical equipment/lights to be switched off as well?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 21:58:52

nooo, they mustn't switch on lights..there can be lights - they don't live in the dark during the Sabbath

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:01:41

I believe you can buy a kosher fridge which has a clock/calendar and switches off the internal light on the sabbath - just to demonstrate how seriously some jews take it.

I cannot help but think it is one of those 'rules' that would benefit from updating. Not health and safety gone mad!

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 22:02:28

Would this be an acceptable solution to problem then, the lights go on a timer and are on permanently from Friday until Sunday morning?

From the way it has been reported, you would assume that no electrical equipment is allowed to be switched on.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 22:04:08

yes,that'd be acceptable, but then someone would probably grumble about the waste of electricity !

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:04:25

I think the origins stem from sparking a flame

ravenAK Tue 16-Jun-09 22:04:26

But they aren't switching them on.

They are walking past sensors which are making the lights come on. It's a side effect, surely? grin

If you can have timers I really don't see why you can't have sensors.

& I definitely don't see why everyone else has to suffer for their peculiar superstitions. They should move if it's such a big deal.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:07:02

sabbath friendly appliances

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 16-Jun-09 22:07:43

their walking past activates sensors to turn the lights on, so to them it is the same as pressing a switch. I don't think you can judge them as 'peculiar superstitions'

Chuffinnora Tue 16-Jun-09 22:10:57

The report says it is a holiday flat - I'm sure full time flat owners must love this couple!

Rachmumoftwo Tue 16-Jun-09 22:11:53

But surely by setting a timer for the Sabbath, they are effectively turning the light on then too?

mumblechum Tue 16-Jun-09 22:12:21

Agree with RavenAK.

If they win their case I'll eat my umbrella

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:12:39

They coudl time their holidays to avoid being there on the sabbath, but I think many very observant Jews employ practical measures so as not to fall downstairs in the dark

edam Tue 16-Jun-09 22:12:49

Of course they should move. Selfish gits. They can do whatever they like inside their own flat but have no right to impose their beliefs on their neighbours OR to threaten them with costly legal action.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:13:14

I belive it is about not working on the sabbath - a timer avoids that imo

morningpaper Tue 16-Jun-09 22:14:35

Seems very unfair actually - they offered to pay for an over-ride switch (so I assume they could just leave them on) but the housing company refused this. I think they are right and should be allowed to have an over-ride switch.

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 22:14:36

That's obviously why they have a holiday flat as they must not be able to go away to hotels over the Sabbath for fear of accidentally switching on something electrical.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 16-Jun-09 22:18:05

I assumed override would switch them off blush

morningpaper Tue 16-Jun-09 22:21:02

then they would fall down the stairs

I fear the Jewish culture may not have lasted very long if they spent a whole day every week feeling their way down staircases

This thread is not accepting new messages.