Talk

Advanced search

I'm glad she gets to keep the money

(18 Posts)
belgo Mon 15-Jun-09 08:57:51

Story here
What a stressful time for her. I'm glad she's keeping her job on the new salary as well.

JackBauer Mon 15-Jun-09 09:18:46

Hmm, I am glad she is keeping the money, but really, how could you not realise that getting 17k for 19 hours a week was not quite right!
I don't know anyone who hasn't sat at work bored and worked out their hourly take home to see how much they get paid for going to the loogrin
Right decision though.

PavlovtheCat Mon 15-Jun-09 09:30:55

Good for her. Makes a change for a normal person to win against a large corporate business that rips people off on a daily basis.

hifi Mon 15-Jun-09 11:13:14

i actually dont agree, how could she not realise she was paid double?
a 56 percent pay rise? shes having a laugh.

peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 15-Jun-09 11:16:57

This happenned to me in my current job - although I wasnt paid the money. I was originally sent a letter saying I would be paid the yearly salary rather than quoting the pro rata figure. It was hastily followed with one quoting the pro rata one.

To be honest even if I could have / should have fought it I wouldnt. I can understand her being allowed to keep the overpayment (but come on she must have realised) but am not sure I agree with her salary being kept at this level. For a start everyone else with the same job must be feeling a tad put out...

belgo Mon 15-Jun-09 11:18:41

It wasn't a 56% pay rise. Her original pay was 9.5k and her new pay 17k. She had been told to expect a pay rise. And not only did see not notice it, but no-one else at the bank noticed it for three years.

And I don't agree that getting 17k for half time is too much. Many professional bank jobs are paid in that range, and of the course much higher.

thehairybabysmum Mon 15-Jun-09 11:21:07

i get paid a similar amount for a 22hr week so the actual amount isnt necessarily strange. The article says she had been promised a big pay rise, plus she had received documentation saying 17k.

If this was me i wouldnt question it due to supporting paperwork, not quite the same as just getting extra cash as a surprise in her pay packet.

hifi Mon 15-Jun-09 11:23:19

17k for part time at the woolwich before it was taken over? i hope she was doing more than a counter job for that.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 15-Jun-09 19:50:17

I fail to understand how she could not know for three years she was getting the wrong pay.

I'm sorta glad she didn't have to pay back, as I imagine it would be hard to pay back if she has spent it. But, honestly, big cock up all round. I wonder what punishment the person in Payroll / HR got

Peachy Mon 15-Jun-09 20:02:52

Ah I kinda had this years back. Nothing like as much though- was being apid I think an extra £30 a week; was a lot to us though, and I worked a lot of overtime etc after going part time I didn't spot it.

Because I told the manager myself as soon as I relaised the mistake, they agreed to let me keep the rise in palce of a pay rise that year for my hionesty, as it happened there was no rise that year overall fro various reasons so I was definitely better of for it (as DH also worked there so our income would in effect have had a real drop with no rise for either of us).

edam Mon 15-Jun-09 21:01:15

She had a contract saying £17k, Barclays confirmed her salary in a written reference when she took out a mortgage and she was getting regular pay rises - I think she had more than enough reason to believe that they intended to pay her that amount.

Mintyy Mon 15-Jun-09 21:12:33

£17,000 for a 19 hour week is not an outrageously large salary. Not something so unreasonable and shocking that you would necessarily question it.

ellingwoman Mon 15-Jun-09 21:20:12

As someone commented - what about the full-timers? I agree she shouldn't have to pay it back but I would be hacked off if I was working 35 hours for less money than she was getting for 19 hours doing the same job. hmm

paisleyleaf Mon 15-Jun-09 21:27:49

She's going to have to take some cream cakes in for the others tomorrow!

edam Mon 15-Jun-09 22:20:29

then you should direct your ire at the company for paying crap wages, or for stuffing up in the first place, elling. Not at this particular woman.

ellingwoman Mon 15-Jun-09 22:38:01

Why would I be cross with her? Good luck to her!

SomeGuy Mon 15-Jun-09 23:41:34

It won't make the slightest difference to the others, she's working for a megabank, they won't notice the £20k.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 16-Jun-09 19:49:54

I think that means about those working full time on a similar wage to her working part time.

I'm not suggesting that everybody should be on the same wage for the same job, I know it doesn't work like that in RL. But I know from experience how bitter it gets when people realise how different their pay is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now