Talk

Advanced search

What men prefer, according to the DM

(53 Posts)
Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 11:31:46

Now before you slate me for reading the Daily Mail (woman hating garbage IMO) a friend sent me this link.

Anyhoo..

men prefer miss average

I'm not sure where to start! grin

Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 11:36:59

Must say I laughed at the comment from Craig

"The big question I always ask is, "We'll she put up with me?"

If yes, then we're 95% there."

StayFrosty Sat 13-Jun-09 11:38:58

"Surely the whole point of the female chassis is to get a passing mate to slow down, wink his indicator, pull over and revv those engines till the spark plugs pop. That's what Mother Nature designed the female for."

Boak.

"Are we women the victims of some sick conspiracy by Green activists working in conjunction with gay fashion designers to keep the population down?

Why else would we be encouraged to aspire to the very body shape that is most likely to leave us childless? "

Anti Green propaganda + casual homophobia + hypocritical handwringing about women's body image + wanking on about women's fertility = a line in Daily Mail bingo/three fingers of vodka in the DM drinking game. Add in immigrants and house prices and you have a full house/finish the bottle.

such a bunch of toss.

Lizzylou Sat 13-Jun-09 11:42:54

Funny though, that we feel we can give a general sweeping "what men prefer" and expect that that is true.
Look on MN, some women love David Beckham, others cannot see attraction, David Tennant is a bit of a God in these parts, but I think he is way too skinny.
I don't think that there is a one size fits all for either sex.

TheDevilWearsYFronts Sat 13-Jun-09 11:43:44

Ah you should read yesterdays article about lipstick, hilarious.

Rindercella Sat 13-Jun-09 11:44:21

I am resisting the urge to click on the link cos I know it'll just piss me off. It's a beautiful day and I refuse to spoil it by reading the garbage in the DM. grin

expatinscotland Sat 13-Jun-09 11:45:52

Men prefer a good, long blow job.

Why bother reading this tosh?

Lizzylou Sat 13-Jun-09 11:46:47

Very true, Expat, very true grin

Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 11:50:40

Quite right Rindercella it's complete tosh.

I think you are spot on lizzylou with your one size comment.

I just laugh at articles like that because it's just nonsense! Everyone has different tastes and trying to be proscriptive about it is bloody ridiculous.

How come we aren't seeing articles about what women want men to like, featuring men obsessing over their weight, followed by a sneering commentary aimed at all blokes who don't look like Brad Pitt/George Clooney/Becks.

Oh, and while we're we're about it please can we stop having a pop at women who are naturally thin? That is annoying too.

StayFrosty Sat 13-Jun-09 11:51:33

"this is where the joyful tidings of the scientists run up against something that defies rational explanation: that is, women's capacity to be harshly critical of our bodies, even when there isn't a damn thing wrong with them."

Heavens, what could cause such collective insanity? Surely not countless Daily Mail stories about celebrities looking a bit fat/ a bit thin/ losing baby weight blah blah blah. Coupled with their continued employment of Liz Jones who obviously has a massively dysfunctional relationship with her own body image but writes in a faux cosy all girls together 'we all hate our big bums don't we ladies' twatty manner in a failed bid to normalise her self hatred.

ARrrrrrrrgggggh I am all wound up now.

Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 11:52:13

grin Expat

In my defence,

a) I skim read it and

b) A friend told me to look at it

KingRolo Sat 13-Jun-09 11:53:02

It is based on a survey of just 100 Ausralian men. Hardly comprehensive or in any way meaningful.

Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 11:53:43

Sorry StayFrosty. I agree with you about Liz Jones, dreadful woman.

KingRolo Sat 13-Jun-09 11:54:22

or Australian even.

Trikken Sat 13-Jun-09 11:57:42

sounds like a big pile of bs to me IMO. All men are different, look for different things in a woman.

KingRolo Sat 13-Jun-09 11:58:40

Has anyone read the 'THE MAN'S VIEW: Sorry, I'll take the bimbo' By TOM SYKES at the bottom of the page?

"What the men in this survey really meant is that they would like to be married to a cuddly Miss Average who would cook nice dinners and care for the children.

But in terms of sexual attraction, would we choose you over a lissom Barbie doll?

I don't think so."

Now I'm off to find a pic of the lovely Tom on Google, let's see how he measures up.

Pan Sat 13-Jun-09 12:18:55

expat only believes this because she is good at them. Allegedly.grin

no, one size doesn't fit all, but I'd go along with alot of it. Curves and squishy bits ARE a great deal more fun, and body-wise it's attractive, male or female, to show evidence you take a bit of pride where you can.

expatinscotland Sat 13-Jun-09 12:29:39

Never met a man who said no to that, Pan .

Janos Sat 13-Jun-09 12:51:11

Hmmm, googled Mr Sykes and he has form for this type of woman-baiting article. Clearly a wind up merchant par excellence

monkeytrousers Sun 14-Jun-09 19:11:35

The third guy has it right - near enough - when he says "What the men in this survey really meant is that they would like to be married to a cuddly Miss Average who would cook nice dinners and care for the children.

But in terms of sexual attraction, would we choose you over a lissom Barbie doll?

I don't think so."

It's called 'condition dependent sexual strategies' - women have them too. They marry good fathers but have more affairs with (or/and lust after) the lookers, just as men do. Works out pretty equal actualy.

monkeytrousers Sun 14-Jun-09 19:35:39

Note he said sexual attraction - not sexual intercourse! Love and commitment counts for a lot, but it won't stop him lusting after Megan Fox or me Keanu Reeves!

Pan Sun 14-Jun-09 21:41:52

"but it won't stop him lusting after Megan Fox or me..."

interesting MT.....

monkeytrousers Mon 15-Jun-09 10:13:26

or me Keanu Reeves. not me!

ABetaDad Mon 15-Jun-09 10:43:09

Well I agreed with a lot of that until the article got down to the heading:

"THE MAN'S VIEW: Sorry, I'll take the bimbo".

Didn't agree with anything after that.

Give me a happy loving woman who randomly oscillates between size 10 - 14 any time.

This sums it up nicely for me:

"My figure shows I'm lucky enough to enjoy a wonderful life, that I'm unpretentious, easy going and, ultimately, happy with my lot."

Indeed, DW came in this morning from dropping the DSs. She had a nice new jumper on, a light tan for being outside yesterday and put her arms round me and said "I feel so happy". Those little things made me feel very happy and far happier than if she had come in and told me she was a dress size smaller. smile

Women are far far too critical or even loathing of their own body shape and size. Its such a shame that so many women feel that way when in reality men do not judge women against some commonly held 'ideal woman' stamped as a template in our minds.

I wish sometimes men could communicate that fact better, especially to younger women who are so vulnerable to media stereotyes.

KingRolo Tue 16-Jun-09 09:30:59

ABetaDad - I admire your attitude but what would happen if your happy, loving woman 'oscillated' to a size 16?

You say

"It's such a shame that so many women feel that way when in reality men do not judge women against some commonly held 'ideal woman' stamped as a template in our minds."

But you give a very fixed definiton of what size a woman should be in order to keep her husband happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now