Talk

Advanced search

Have you heard about this new 118 mobile number database that you have to opt out of???

(17 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Tue 09-Jun-09 17:44:52

Here

ommmward Tue 09-Jun-09 19:21:27

phone 118800 and tell them you want to be ex-directory. they will ask for all sorts of personal details! And won't even tell you whether your phone number is on their database without you divulging all sorts of info.

customer services 0800 1386263

I'm on hold...

ommmward Tue 09-Jun-09 19:33:26

Just spoke to a poor love in a call centre...

they have had thousands and thousands of complaining calls today...

It goes live on 18 June so even if they don't have your number on there now, they might by 18 June, so that's the time to gt in touch and ask to be ex-directory.

Public relations D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R

lyrasdaemon Wed 10-Jun-09 10:32:51

It was stated on BBC news this morning that to opt out, you should text the letter E (in capital) to 118800.

Stretch Wed 10-Jun-09 10:37:44

I don't fully understand..They can give your mobile number out to anyone that wants it? And it will be on the internet, with your name too??

I have a mobile because I don't want random people calling! angry

AnarchyAunt Wed 10-Jun-09 10:55:38

I think they just transfer the call to you rather than give out your mobile number.

I had to have a new mobile number a while back after an unwanted and persistent admirer turned quite scary and the police got involved. I'd be very pissed off and shaken if a call from him was put through to me.

I am opting out but tbh have little faith in that. It should be opt in. Now one company is doing it more and more will start to and it will be hard to keep up to date with opting out.

Stretch Wed 10-Jun-09 11:00:14

But why sould we have to ring up and give loads of details just to opt out? And how do they know whether the details are correct??

<<sorry, this is really pissing me off!!> smile

LovingTheRain Wed 10-Jun-09 12:46:25

Does the texting thing work?

What details do they ask for if you call them?

Caught the end of this on BBC this am, just texted, will seee what happens, if anything...

wannaBe Wed 10-Jun-09 12:51:29

so where do they get the details from?

I have a pay as you go phone. I bought the phone and the sim separately and it was a sim that worked as soon as I put it into the phone so no needing to register it with orange. In fact I have never even spoken to them.

I presume therefore that this information is only available for phones that are on contract, and that the phone companies are seling this info to this service..

Metella Wed 10-Jun-09 12:53:25

I agree, wannaBe - anyone with a PAYG phone can't be on this list.

cornflakegirl Wed 10-Jun-09 13:42:36

The article says they get the numbers from people who have given their details to companies without ticking the "Don't sell my details" box. So they could have PAYG numbers too.

Stretch Wed 10-Jun-09 13:49:36

I have found this

butterflymum Sat 13-Jun-09 18:38:31

You don't need to phone them to become ex-directory, you can do it online at

www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

ellingwoman Sat 13-Jun-09 19:05:56

Thanks for the links. I am working through the family's phones now using the removeme screen. Hope it works!

blowbroth Sat 13-Jun-09 19:21:16

Thanks butterflymum , good link! Have done mine and dh phones already.

ange8 Sun 14-Jun-09 01:15:42

It might reassure you to know that they don't give out your number, or put the person through to you. They text you to tell you the named person is trying to contact you, and provide you with that person's number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now