Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why has Gordon Brown appointed a noted sexist to the Government?

(28 Posts)
smallwhitecat Sat 06-Jun-09 16:04:34

Message withdrawn

BitOfFun Sat 06-Jun-09 16:09:59

Erm, at least we know he's sexist? I'm sure he's not the only one in government.

TheCrackFox Sat 06-Jun-09 16:23:19

Well said BoF, at least we know his true colours.

yama Sat 06-Jun-09 16:26:54

I have always defended and respected Gordon Brown but this is a step too far for me.

yama Sat 06-Jun-09 16:28:09

Oh, and it is not necessarily because Alan Sugar is a sexist. I can't stand everything he stands for.

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 16:28:12

It's particularly worrying that he will be working closely with Mandelson, who also seems to have very little time for flexible working and seems unsympathetic towards issues like parental leave.

bronze Sat 06-Jun-09 16:29:20

oh bloodyhell can't stand the bloke.

TheCrackFox Sat 06-Jun-09 16:34:49

I really can't stand Mandelson. He is such a snake.

Mind you, apparently GB telephoned Susan Boyle last week to see how she was, so it just about sums up GBs desperate attempts to become popular.

smallwhitecat Sat 06-Jun-09 16:41:19

Message withdrawn

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 17:32:37

Yes, one way or the other it seems unlikely that Mandelson and Sugar will have time to completely dismantle maternity benefits, thankfully.

God knows why GB has done it. Sugar isn't even a particularly successful entrepreneur, is he? The whole thing is embarrassing.

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 17:42:16

In a desperate quest for some celebrity shine to rub off?

I don't think GB watches telly, so when some idiot apparchnik says "Gordon, ring Susan Boyle in the Priory, everyone in the country wil think you're really cool for doing it" he does. He's trying to do a Tony but it's not working. I mean Tone invited Bono and Oasis round for a drink but he didn't try to put them in the Cabinet.

It's just a measure of his ham fisted lack of grasp of what real people think and want.

madlentileater Sat 06-Jun-09 17:42:54

is Sugar actually 'in the government' though?
I thought he was 'entrepreneur Tsar' and that meant something like an advisor?
still bad though- don't know enough to comment on his sexism, but deffo smacks of desperation on GB's part

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 17:44:00

He's been put in the House of Lords though, and from there will be able to use his position there to influence and amend legislation for the rest of his natural life, which is more than bad enough.

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 17:48:13

madlentil, Sugar has said in the past that he reckons small businesses actively avoid women of child-bearing age (because of the maternity benefits they have to fund) and that he doesn't blame them for it. In fact I think he said that if he had two candidates that were equally qualified, he'd go for whichever wasn't a woman of child-bearing age.

I agree with georgi's analysis of what GB is going, sadly. It's weird.

mrsruffallo Sat 06-Jun-09 17:49:08

Is he sexist?

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 17:50:46

And didn't he go on and on and one of the Apprentice candidates, quizzing her about her childcare arrangements?

It's not so much that he's sexist as that he's anti-mother, and anti-anyone-who-might-be-thinking-about-being-a-mother.

georgimama Sat 06-Jun-09 17:53:35

<<is quietly v v chuffed that clever PW agrees with my political analysis>>

<<even if the extent of my political analysis is whether or not GB actually watched Britain's Got Talent - I don't think Nick Robinson is lying awake in his bed just yet>>

grin

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 18:04:05

grin

madlentileater Sat 06-Jun-09 18:12:01

OK, that's sexist in my book

Fillyjonk Sat 06-Jun-09 20:44:15

Have I got the sequence of events here right here? I am finding it slightly unbelievable.

First, Caroline Flint accuses Brown of window dressing. Now she is a deeply irritating dyed in the wool pro-war Blairite. She is even apparently a member of a Blairite tapdancing troop (no, really, Hazel Blears is in it too) BUT given that there are now something like three women in about twenty four cabinet posts (ie, in the 21st century, seven eighths of (probably) the most powerful cabal in the land are male), she may have a point.

So then, the very next day, clearly reeling from this accusation of sexism, clearly desperate to put things right once and for all and show he cares about equal opportunities, not just at surface level but in one of those areas where it hits us all most, in employment-Brown appoints a man who not only thinks it ok to discriminate against women based on childcare arrangements, but to do so on national tv.

This does not seem like the work of a man too concerned that he may be thought sexist, tbh. On mature reflection it does seem rather suggestive of fuckwittery.

policywonk Sat 06-Jun-09 20:47:22

Mostly a fair analysis filly, but I think Flint resigned after Sugar was appointed.

Fillyjonk Sat 06-Jun-09 20:53:54

lol pw let me check, thought she resigned directly after the cabinet reshuffle, ie yesterday, and alan sugar was today, brw

Fillyjonk Sat 06-Jun-09 20:57:19

ok have googled, no, sugar was appointed as part of the cabinet reshuffle (somehow that irks me further), and iirc flint resigned after the reshuffle so you are right pw.

I enjoyed this from alan sugar's wiki page

Sexist discrimination
Sugar has been accused of having an "outdated" attitude towards women.[40] Regarding the 1970s UK law which states that it is discriminatory and hence illegal for women to be asked at interview whether they plan to have children,[41] Sugar is quoted as saying, "These laws are counter-productive for women, that's the bottom line. You're not allowed to ask, so it's easy – just don't employ them. It will get harder to get a job as a woman."[42]

Bullying
Critics have described Sugar as "out-of-touch" and his work ethic as "a model of bad management in the UK. Negative, bullying and narrow-minded... (Sugar) rules by fear."[43] Concerns have been raised by anti-bullying charity Kidscape that "publicly humiliating" contestants on The Apprentice may give bullying credibility.[44]

Gaffes
In February 2005 Sugar famously predicted that the iPod would be "dead, finished, gone, kaput" by the following Christmas. The comment topped the poll by T3 on the ten worst technology predictions ever.[45]

SomeGuy Sat 06-Jun-09 21:21:17

Sugar on Brown:

“I have noted with disgust the comments of a certain Mr Gordon Brown who has accused me of doing well out of the recession.

I do not know who Mr Gordon Brown is. Excuse my ignorance, but I don’t. Whoever he is, he has not done is homework properly. The man doesn’t know what he is talking about.

Labour offers no route out of recession. It's out of date and - as Brown's remark shows - it hasn't done its homework.”

2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZI9ZC-oL5KQ/SikZusDgcWI/AAAAAAAAE5Y/7jUr2qUZvZM/s1600-h/sugarletter.jpg

monkeytrousers Thu 11-Jun-09 19:55:25

Could just be a dose of real politik, which is whay people seem confused by it. Keep your enemies close and all that - which is what he does with Mandelson.

I dount he will have any say in policies which pertain to women. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now