Talk

Advanced search

Politicians and expenses. Something I don't get.

(15 Posts)
inscotland Fri 05-Jun-09 15:21:26

I have tried following this over the last 2 weeks or so. Today's news is strongly covering people's calls for Gordon Brown to stand down over it but the thing I don't get is that the conservatives and all other parties have also been caught out with their expenses but no one is trying to get David Cameron etc to stand down.

Gordon Brown's cabinet have all resigned and rightly so but why should he be punished for them being so greedy? Surely they should all go. The only person that so far hasn't had details of any naughty expenses released is GB. I don't get it.

LeninGrad Fri 05-Jun-09 15:37:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Fri 05-Jun-09 16:19:36

Agree with Lenin - Labour's getting the worst of it because they are in government, so are supposed to be in charge.

Cameron and Clegg's own personal expenses are quite dodgy (mortgage / gardening) but they are getting off very, very lightly.

Ivykaty44 Fri 05-Jun-09 16:21:53

David Camerone can't stand down as pm as he is in opposition.

Gordon Brown has not done anything positive to stop the expenises row and so as a leader of the country not to make a stand and sort out the mess is now being asked to stand down.

Jux Fri 05-Jun-09 17:00:54

It is more news worthy to jump on the Govt and so many of the meeeeja want Brown out; it's just news-mongering.

edam Fri 05-Jun-09 17:16:16

To be fair, quite a few in his own party want Brown out, too! It's just MPs are doing the maths about whether to lose their jobs now or keep taking the salary for what could be the best part of a year...

Ivykaty44 Fri 05-Jun-09 17:20:49

edam - the mp's that say they are quiting now, they still get a salery and perks until the next general election!

They are not daft wink

EachPeachPearMum Fri 05-Jun-09 17:38:31

until after actually- salaries and expenses are paid for 12 months after leaving the job- even if one leaves in disgrace. angry

BellaBear Fri 05-Jun-09 17:39:37

ivykaty44 - love your typo! expenises row indeed...

bambipie Fri 05-Jun-09 17:46:06

I don't think it's just the 'expenses row' that is the reason that they want GB out, more the fact that they don't stand a chance of winning an election with him in charge - and MPs don't want to lose their seats. But if they get a new leader the'll probably have to call an election anyway, the labour MPs are having to do some serious calculations!

Don't forget he wasn't exactly Mr Popular before the expense hoo-ha.

Ivykaty44 Fri 05-Jun-09 17:53:26

he is as flat as a grey moldie pancake and so was major before he was out.

ThingOne Fri 05-Jun-09 19:12:58

It's not just about expenses. He's been in trouble since he nearly called a general election after his coronation and then pulled back at the last minute. It's just been getting worse and worse. let's face it, when things were going well economically, it was Gordon the wonder chancellor. When they go badly it's the world situation. People aren't that stupid.

llareggub Fri 05-Jun-09 19:20:06

The Cabinet aren't resigning because of the expenses row, IMO. They are resigning to put pressure on GB and force his resignation. They'll all be plotting away to oust him and jostling for position as leader.

edam Sat 06-Jun-09 00:13:44

No, the point is many MPs are reluctant to force Gordon's hand because a new leader would have to call an election before too long. So, the personal calcuation is, OK, I'm going to lose my seat anyway, but I'm better off keeping Gordon around because he can stagger on for up to a year.

I reckon, anyway, am not an MP.

SomeGuy Sat 06-Jun-09 00:59:06

Cameron has kicked out several MPs.

Brown is not being told to resign for expenses, he is being told to resign because he's unelectable, unelected and unpopular.

Also the resigning Labour MPs have been seen as rats deserting a sinking ship rather than the decisive actions of a strong leader as with Cameron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now