Advanced search

Wahey! PunchMeNow Blears has resigned!

(48 Posts)
LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 10:20:22

The BBC are reporting. No link yet.

<lets door slam on her evil squirrel arse on way out>

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 10:36:05

She is 'happy to be going back to the people of Salford'

Yes. And they'll be more than happy to eat her alive have her I imagine.

edam Wed 03-Jun-09 10:38:00

Blood hell, Gordon won't have anyone left to reshuffle at this rate!

Not that I'll be shedding any tears for Hazel, her rise to prominence was a mystery to me, having come across her as a junior minister.

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 10:43:37

I am trying not to gawp at the TV since I have huge amount of marking but all the political commentary is saying this is a Brutus/Caesar/steps moment.

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 10:44:42

I think he will have to go now, or <eek> call an election.

monkeytrousers Wed 03-Jun-09 10:47:26

My god the BNP will be jumping for joy!

edam Wed 03-Jun-09 10:49:56

Poor old Gordon - he may be rubbish but there's something tragic about having schemed and plotted and waited so long to get to the top, then being effing useless when you get there. Who'd have thunk he'd be a second John Major?

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 10:57:39

No love lost for HB here, but a bit depressing also that all the Blair's babes women are quitting... hmm

Tinker Wed 03-Jun-09 11:01:48

Thank god for that. Re no-one to reshuffle - that's probably a good thing, I'd have thought. Where the ones who have resigned highly thought of by the public? I don't think so.

Jux Wed 03-Jun-09 11:04:11

And is she going to have a visit from the cops when she gets there?

Don't be upset about the Blair's Babes quitting. There's a reason for it you know. Now let me see, what was it? Oh yes, rampant cheating.

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 11:07:04

Well, leaving the Evil Squirrel aside, I have met Beverley Hughes and thought she was excellent, committed and genuine. I don't know if she is implicated in the expenses nonsense. And despite Smith's expenses idiocy, I thought her a good home secretary and a good advert for very competent women in cabinet.

DaddyJ Wed 03-Jun-09 11:08:50

Darling next?

DaDaDa Wed 03-Jun-09 11:08:57

PMQ's should be interesting!

Looks like an organised putsch by the Labour women. Caroline Corr Flint next? Surely Gordon can't survive beyond the weekend?

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 11:13:12

rofl at Caroline Corr Flint. grin

She is quite fit isn't she (and I dont 'do' women, as such) grin

edam Wed 03-Jun-09 11:16:18

Agree Beverley Hughes is A Good Sort and Smith was competent although carried on the rather disappointing tradition of recent home secretaries thinking the job is about mass surveillance and wholesale attacks on civil liberties.

HeadFairy Wed 03-Jun-09 11:18:34

I am really getting worried about the number of women leaving government. On Nick Ferrari on LBC this morning all sorts of tossers were ringing in saying women don't belong in politics (yeah I know, it's the radio equivalent of the Sun) but I'm starting to think the Old Boys of Westminster are getting their own way after all.

Bring Kate Hoey in to Government! Kate Hoey for PM!!!!

bella39 Wed 03-Jun-09 11:19:06

She'll go on to a get some highly paid positions on boards of big companies, as they all do, and will rake it in even more.

bella39 Wed 03-Jun-09 11:20:08

Am gunning for Darling though. I did actually know him at one point, and a more arrogant and conceited man has never walked the earth...

daftpunk Wed 03-Jun-09 11:21:54

kate hoey is great....

i'm really getting worried, starting to think the tories will win next election

Tinker Wed 03-Jun-09 11:22:19

Oh, didn't like Jackie Smith at all. Sounds just like a Civil Service management consultant drone who just will Not listen to staff.

Caroline Flint got lots of applause on Question Time last week (surprisingly, I thought. Partner said it was because people fancied her hmm)

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 03-Jun-09 11:23:46

Christ. Certainly didn't expect this after I gleefuly voted for Labour in 1997. I remember the feeling of hope (that was obviously prior to the cynicism setting in). Personally I do not like seeing all this unravel. It's bloody horrible. Who now of any decency and talent will choose to become an MP?

LupusinaLlamasuit Wed 03-Jun-09 11:26:33

'Brown respects and understands Blears' decision. He believes she made an outstanding contribution to public life'

Means: 'the fucking witch stabbed me in the eye and I hope she dies a horrible death of swine flu'

Peachy Wed 03-Jun-09 11:26:54

<<dances around troom yelling wahey!>>

I neve3r could take to that woman.

I used to want to be in politics, baced out of council elections when i found I was PG with ds4, wouldn't touch with a abrgepole now, too honest.

CowWatcher Wed 03-Jun-09 11:27:24

Isn't it also a bit sad (cheating aside) that the pressure of the media and the job has lead so many of these women to leave? Wouldn't most of us want to see more women doing these jobs, rather than fewer? Volunteers anyone?

artichokes Wed 03-Jun-09 11:27:47

Its not just labour women who are leaving. Look at Julie Kirkbride, what she did was no worse than many male MPs but the media made her the focus of the expenses fury and hounded her to resign. I am not saying she was innocent, but why was she worse than many of the men?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now