Talk

Advanced search

FFS - kate Garraway and GMTV

(21 Posts)
inscotland Tue 02-Jun-09 08:21:15

She's just interviewed Gerry Boyle (Susan Boyle's brother). He clearly said Susan doesn't have learning difficulties but that in the past she does bottle things up and he remembers her doing her exams as a child and becoming quite stressed over them (who doesn't).

Anyway Gerry continued to say he spent the entire day yesterday talking to the world media and he was shattered at the end of it so no wonder Susan is pretty knackered after 7 weeks.

Cut back to Kate in the studio with some psycologist woman who also worked on big brother talking about people with learning difficulties and inferring Susan again. FFS her brother just said she doesn't have them. No wonder stuff gets blown out of all proprotion in the media.

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 08:22:51

i don't even watch bgt but am already sick of hearing about this woman.

monkeytrousers Tue 02-Jun-09 08:33:47

They do this all the time though. They have their spin and ignore anything that contradicts it.

It just makes them look like idiots to be honest. Anbd show why TV journalism is shite.

Nancy66 Tue 02-Jun-09 10:03:57

her brother is in denial. She does have them. she's admitted it herself and even if she hadn't it's apparent from her behaviour.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Jun-09 10:17:12

There have been posters on MN who have said that they know SB and the family and that she does have both learning difficulties and mental health issues.

I have absolutely no idea whether she does or doesn't (have never watched BGT) but it's not at all unheard of for the family of someone with learning difficulties to be in denial and/or resist the diagnosis for noble or ignoble motives.

monkeytrousers Tue 02-Jun-09 11:30:43

Ignore the silly woman.

monkeytrousers Tue 02-Jun-09 11:33:08

btw - is that you expat??

ginnny Tue 02-Jun-09 11:49:30

I saw it and thought he said he doesn't see her as having learning difficulties, she's just his sister to him.
I think they should just leave her alone now. She's obviously just not up to facing all the media frenzy surrounding her.

mamadiva Tue 02-Jun-09 12:32:16

It was widely reported that she has learning difficulties though, she was brain damaged at birth as she was starved of oxygen.

Well that's what she apparently said anyway. I hate to say it but her problems are evident in her behaviour, kind of child like IYSWIM, I'd be surprised if she did'nt have any LD.

Voltaire Tue 02-Jun-09 12:36:34

I didn't know Kate Garraway has learning difficulties, but it makes sense. grin

GeneHunt Tue 02-Jun-09 12:40:12

grin

princessmel Tue 02-Jun-09 12:40:28

shock at Voltaire's post.

Wrt OP, I say they should leave her alone to rest and get her thoughts together.

Unicornvomit Tue 02-Jun-09 12:42:11

at least the psychologist said it was right not to discriminate against people with LD/ SN

i cannot imagine how most NT people would cope with being catapulted into the media spotlight .. being the darling of the USA and UK and being feted around the world

must be really hard to process that and to make any sense of it

TwoIfBySea Tue 02-Jun-09 13:23:14

Perhaps she wouldn't need so much help if her family took a little more time to understand her. To say she doesn't have learning difficulties, well, I can't vouch for that but she does have mental health issues and I suppose this shows why she has gotten so lonely in the past. Brother is a bit useless.

bleh Tue 02-Jun-09 13:32:31

I think it's terrible that someone as obviously fragile as SB (if she has learning difficulties and/or mental-illness) can be used and abused so callously by the media. If the producers had any sense of morality, they would not have let her on the programme.

Nancy66 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:30:39

if they hadn't have let her on the programme they would be accused of descriminating against people with special needs.

monkeytrousers Tue 02-Jun-09 17:10:48

FFS, people with dyslexia have SN. This is a massive spectrum.

Nancy66 Tue 02-Jun-09 17:17:04

Clearly, I was talking about Susan. the problem is there are now so many PC terms that they mean fuck all and nobody knows what you're talking about.

monkeytrousers Tue 02-Jun-09 17:24:02

That wasn't in response to you Nanc, just a general blurgh

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 02-Jun-09 17:27:07

SB looked like a highly disturbed Woman on the final night.

Nancy66 Tue 02-Jun-09 17:28:00

ok - sorry monkey...though you were 'aving a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now