Talk

Advanced search

Abortion doctor shot dead at his Kansas church

(127 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 31-May-09 19:08:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ewe Sun 31-May-09 19:28:19

Oh dear. It's a tough one isn't it?

I find the idea of late term abortion very uncomfortable and sad but I am pro-choice, don't think people should be taking things into their own hands and doling out what they see as "justice" to this man but they see him as a murderer anyway [brain explodes]

Very sad all round.

onagar Sun 31-May-09 19:30:20

I hope they catch the murderer.

Apparently being Pro-life doesn't extend to adults or even pregnant women as they are targeted sometimes in these attacks.

juuule Sun 31-May-09 19:32:03

Not sure how someone claiming to be pro-life reconciles that with taking someone else's?

Thunderduck Sun 31-May-09 19:32:09

I don't think it's a tough one. I think it's awful and I love the irony of a so called pro lifer taking the life of another human being.

I'm not very comfortable with what goes on in an abortion either but that's how it must be done and I'm pro choice.

And the article states that these late term abortions are only done if the mother's life is in danger. What alternative is there?

Ewe Sun 31-May-09 19:38:21

I think it is a tough one morally because many people will find it difficult to feel much in the way of sympathy for the doctor - especially in that part of the US.

juuule Sun 31-May-09 19:39:54

Not tough at all. If you are against taking of life then you don't go out and take a life yourself.

Thunderduck Sun 31-May-09 19:42:06

Well said Juuule.

Unicornvomit Sun 31-May-09 19:42:08

I agree with thunderduck

the life of a living, sentient person is surely as or more important than a foetus?

late abortions in the UK are a tiny percentage of abortions on the whole, presumably similar in the USA.

absolutely horrific to murder someone in the name of being 'pro life'

nickytwotimes Sun 31-May-09 19:43:18

I agree that it is not a tough one at all.
The person who murdered this guy believes that life before birth is precious, but life afterwards isn't.

HeinzSight Sun 31-May-09 19:44:29

I also agree about the irony of these people being called 'pro-life'

willowthewispa Sun 31-May-09 19:48:27

These so-called pro-lifers are disgusting, and if they actually cared about life after birth they'd be giving money to lone teenage mothers and adopting children rather than intimidating and murdering people.

sleepyeyes Sun 31-May-09 19:51:03

It's not tough at all and I feel huge sympathy for the doctor and his family and complete and utter disgust at these so called "Pro life" supports who plan and carry out such attacks and the people that agree and support them.
They don't seem to practice what they preach, they have hunted this man for doing his job and abiding the law yet claim to support and demand life for all human beings, well how about the ones standing and breathing in front of you, regardless of your 'moral' differences.angry

LadyPinkofPinkerton Sun 31-May-09 19:53:15

Agree completely with Juule. How can you call yourself pro life then murder somebody in cold blood

SomeGuy Sun 31-May-09 19:53:18

bit disturbed by ewe's remarks tbh. Not tough at all. He did what he believed in because he believed these women needed his help. Not to make himself rich or to build himself a giant mansion. Because somebody had to provide the service

Don't see why you'd think twice about your attitudes towards the murderer and their ilk.

Ewe Sun 31-May-09 19:54:31

Jeez, I am not saying for me it's tough as I state that I am pro choice and I feel incredibly sorry for his family.

I am merely saying that the circumstances are difficult because of the large proportion of pro-lifers in America. Especially in the Midwestern states.

beanieb Sun 31-May-09 19:56:49

Just awful sad Poor guy. What an utter idiot the murderer must be.

littleducks Sun 31-May-09 20:03:18

The guy had already previously been shot in both arms and survived that attack so he must have continued perform these abortions for a strong reason, i would have thought the previous attacks would make most people give in

I hope they find whoever murdered him perhaps it wasnt a pro-life protestor, but the father of a baby that had been murdered at a stage so late in pregnancy that it could have survived outside the womb, i think that when drs etc are murdered one of the first avenues they persue are disgruntled patients etc

If he was killed by a protestor then they should review intelligence and security as he had been police guarded previously and perhaps shouldhave been on that sun morning

SomeGuy Sun 31-May-09 21:11:47

oh fuck off.

hester Sun 31-May-09 21:16:59

Who are you telling to fuck off, SomeGuy? And why?

I used to work in abortion, and it was very discomforting to discover my name on 'pro-life' lists and newsletters. Fortunately, we have fewer fully armed crackpots running around in this country.

willowthewispa Sun 31-May-09 21:19:28

I read it as telling littleducks with her "murdered babies" to fuck off.

SomeGuy Sun 31-May-09 21:24:44

yes, it was directed at littleducks.

edam Sun 31-May-09 22:05:02

Oh that poor man. What a tragedy for his family. And what a tragedy for women, that other doctors may be scared off performing abortions.

I once did a vanity google search (trying to track down something I'd written) and found an anti-abortionists' hit list. Some poor women with the same name as me in the US was listed for working as a nurse in a clinic that carries out abortions. Sent a shudder down my spine.

wannaBe Sun 31-May-09 22:19:34

Contentious as late abortion might be, pro life surely equals pro all life...? hmm

Makes me think of animal rights types who set the mink free into the countryside without a cat in hell's chance of survival.

These radical types clearly are incapable of rational thought.

hester Sun 31-May-09 22:41:10

Sorry, SomeGuy, I wasn't reading the thread properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now