Talk

Advanced search

Hotel death father will be freed...

(11 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Sat 30-May-09 12:09:00

Here news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8074551.stm

Now I'm sympathetic to the fact that he has a mental illness. BUT he killed his son and I don't think he should be free to come back to the UK and resume his life so soon.

HolyGuacamole Sat 30-May-09 12:12:38

Would he have been released from psychiatric care so early in this country?

dittany Sat 30-May-09 12:41:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolyGuacamole Sat 30-May-09 12:44:14

Thanks Dittany, I wasn't sure of how it would work over here as he was found not guilty.

Absolute shame for the family, cannot even begin to imagine how they feel about this man. 6 months is nothing, that poor mother has to live with this every day of her life sad

foxinsocks Sat 30-May-09 12:56:05

well so does he Holy, he is their father after all

was reading the report and it said he was psychotic. Now psychosis is something they can treat and it is a mental illness. His family said they wanted him to come to the UK to continue his treatment here so he is obviously going to have some sort of psychiatric help or monitoring.

dittany Sat 30-May-09 17:46:53

Grattage Sat 30-May-09 17:47:48

Maybe as they were there and in court and know what they are doing they are in a position to decide?

hth

dittany Sat 30-May-09 17:48:40

AuntieMaggie Mon 01-Jun-09 12:30:14

Can I ask a serious question - if the father of your children had done this would you let your daughter see her father at this moment in time?

Or, would you wait until she's a bit older given that she's too young to understand his mental health problems and is still traumatised?

Because all of the comments on the local news site are along the lines of "poor man he's got to live with this for the rest of his life and should be allowed to see his daughter" and it seems to me that what's best for her is being forgotten by everyone except her mother. I don't blame her for emigrating at least her daughter may be able to escape some of the media circus that is going on and have somewhat of a normal life.

MarthaFarquhar Mon 01-Jun-09 12:53:45

I agree dittany that most family annilihators do so out of spite. but in reading about this case I do believe that there are serious queries about this man's mental health at the time of the offence (am an Approved Mental Health Professional myself).

Had he committed a similar offence in this country, he would most likely have received a hospital order. these are of indeterminate length, as people are detained for as long as they need treatment. psychosis can be treated within 18mo or so. Having said that I have no personal experience of someone being released within this period. 3-4 years more common IME.

jellybeans Mon 01-Jun-09 17:45:56

Plenty of people have mental illness and don't try to kill/kill their kids. I think he should have got longer. Most of these men do it out of spite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now