loader

Talk

Advanced search

car stolen with 10 month old baby inside

(101 Posts)
cupcakes Tue 03-May-05 11:02:52

here

Chandra Tue 03-May-05 11:09:37

OMG! just hoppe that the stupid thief don't decide to dump the car in a hidden place!

lockets Tue 03-May-05 11:10:33

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:16:38

Well lockets I would be inclined to agree with you if they had popped into Sainsbury's, but a high street butchers for 2 minutes? I've done the same. Seems cruel to wake a baby who has just nodded off moments earlier. Mind you, my car is alarmed and at the slightest noise I have calculated that I could be there within 10 secs (car parked directly outside)

lockets Tue 03-May-05 11:20:26

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:23:21

Car can be hit whilst you are in it and stationery at traffic lights - your presence in the driver seat is not going to avert disaster. Sometimes you just have to balance the risks.

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:24:11

That wasn't meant to sound arsey!

lockets Tue 03-May-05 11:26:31

Message withdrawn

lockets Tue 03-May-05 11:27:36

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 11:29:36

I wouldn't either Lockets. I know some people do and that the chances of anything happening are a million to one but I won't even take that chance.

Not saying it's the parents fault in any way obviously.

Chandra Tue 03-May-05 11:35:51

I'm sure this woman and many other people have learned a lesson about this today. However, the mother is only guilty of leaving the baby in the car, it surprises me that nobody has said anything about the thief, who is the son/daughter of somebody who didn't take enough care of raising him/her properly. So I blame the thief's parents not this woman who made the wrong decision of allowing her baby to sleep while she pop into a store.

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:37:10

Personally I think my child is more at risk of catching measles due to low uptake of MMR [living dangerously emoticon]

wheresmyfroggy Tue 03-May-05 11:42:37

of course the thief is wrong, noone is questioning that. but in this day and age with terrible stories in the news everyday of assualts and vicious robberies and kipnappings and missing children who in thier right mind would leave a baby alone in a car for any amount of time?

misdee Tue 03-May-05 11:45:51

i left 2 of my children in a car the other day. popped by the garagem both were asleep, so locked the doors, and went to look at the price of a car. must have left them for oooooooooooo 3minutes. (me waits to be flammed)

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:46:00

Thank you wheresmyfroggy but I am perfectly within my right mind. There is no need to be so abrasively opinionated.

I don't remember questioning anyone's intelligence in a discussion recently about the safety or otherwise of taking a walk alone down a country lane (something I would never do because I think it does put myself and more importantly my children at risk) when lots of posters said they would continue to do this

wheresmyfroggy Tue 03-May-05 11:46:05

i think measles and kidnapping are slightly different hmc

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:46:49

misdee - you can join me. Neither of us are 'in our right minds'

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:47:38

Agree - measles is a higher risk - so yes different

TrophyWife Tue 03-May-05 11:48:31

WTF was the mother thinking, leaving a child in a car alone in bristol. (sorry get really mad when people do stupid things that cause harm to children)

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 11:49:30

hmc - I think you are right that your child is probably more at risk of catching measles! I know the chances of the child being kidnapped or the car being hit are very, very remote but I just feel uncomfortable doing it.

I was talking about the 'walking through the wood/down a lane' with some friends the other day and we all agreed we'd not have walked the secluded way at all. Not that anyone who does is asking to be attacked of course, it's just that I'm a great big wuss and think that if there is any chance of being attacked, children being abducted etc I'm not going to take it.

I'm seriously morbid!

HRHDuchessofPeahead Tue 03-May-05 11:49:50

agree with you hmc. think it is a bit harsh for everyone to say "serves her right for losing her baby, she shouldn't have left it for a nanosecond".... I paraphrase, but really!

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 11:50:31

Gobbledigook,

and I totally respect your pov - particularly since you don't flame or insult anyone who thinks differently!

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 11:50:50

HRH - I don't think that at all - it's just that I wouldn't do it.

wheresmyfroggy Tue 03-May-05 11:50:59

Different thread altogether hmc

philippat Tue 03-May-05 11:51:48

well, personally, I think it's terrible that the parents bought such a fancy car, clearly begging to be stolen, and then put their child in it at all...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now