Talk

Advanced search

Footage shows G20 death man push

(125 Posts)
LeninGrad Tue 07-Apr-09 21:43:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
chequersmate Tue 07-Apr-09 21:47:33

Oh my word, from the footage that does look totally uncalled for.

What a hideous thing for his family to see of his last day alive.

HecAteTheEasterBunny Tue 07-Apr-09 21:49:18

No. From that clip alone, it does not seem necessary. I suppose the police will argue that he was verbally abusive or threatening or something.

They will no doubt also say the heart attack was unrelated since he got up afterwards, albeit briefly.

nellyfin Tue 07-Apr-09 21:51:32

uncalled for? unnecessary? IT'S FUCKING BRUTALITY!

HecAteTheEasterBunny Tue 07-Apr-09 21:56:02

IMO. Brutality would be beating him, kicking him in the head, dragging him down the street by his hair. A shove is not, in itself, brutality.

this does not mean it is acceptable in any way of course, but I would disagree that it is 'brutality'.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 07-Apr-09 21:58:28

A gratuitous shove.

There seemed to be no reason for it.

scottishmummy Tue 07-Apr-09 21:58:30

i heard Mr Tomlinson distraught son on radio4 appealing for footage-i was really moved by his anguish

oh how very sad.a family man dead only 47.the devastated family

suppose now they have to investigate whether the MI was directly attributable to the fall

Hulababy Tue 07-Apr-09 21:58:36

Not brutality. But definitely unacceptable and inappropriate, from what we can see on the video footage.

Sadly there are people who will resort to aggression and overuse of their power in all professions.

Hopefully the investigations will get to the bottom of this and the policeman, if found to have done this unprovoked and without just cause, will face discipinary action as a result.

HecAteTheEasterBunny Tue 07-Apr-09 22:00:43

I can almost predict what they'll say - that they were forced to physically move him away from the police line, that he was uncooperative, that they told him to move away several times, that he was verbally abusive and not moving away.....

Heard it all before.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Apr-09 22:06:16

oh gosh, that's awful. his poor family.

LeninGrad Tue 07-Apr-09 22:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
catinthehat1 Tue 07-Apr-09 22:12:56

ScottishMummy - why do you have full stops all over your posts? (I take it they are not deliberate)

ThingOne Tue 07-Apr-09 22:13:08

Yes, I too can predict a whitewash.

scottishmummy Tue 07-Apr-09 22:17:58

full stops-umm dont know!technical glitch.how odd.on my screen looks ok

SoupDreggon Tue 07-Apr-09 22:18:46

You can't see what is happening, you can't hear what was said. One alternative interpretation is that he is making no effort whatsoever to move as the police requested him to do and is wandering slowly and taunting them. You can't see so it is impossible top make a judgement. For someone being ushered along by police, he certainly isn't moving briskly. It is impossible to tell from that footage.

It's certainly not brutality though. If you think that is brutality, you have clearly lived a very sheltered life.

catinthehat1 Tue 07-Apr-09 22:24:41

Take a look at it on a PC it's quite distinctive!

Also, the shover was holding a truncheon which you can see at the end of the shot.

Quite interesting that the Guardian footage shown was taken by a non UK national. THere is a discussion about the legality or otherwise of taking pics of the police in this piece also in the Guardian.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Apr-09 22:25:11

true, soupy. although if you were ambling home after a millwall match and the police started shouting at you to do x or y then a bit of obstinacy is hardly worth someone apparently randomly coming up and pushing you right in th kidneys.

FAQinglovely Tue 07-Apr-09 22:25:15

"and is wandering slowly and taunting them."

ermm and that makes it ok to shove him with such force he falls over?

nellyfin Tue 07-Apr-09 22:26:23

definition of police brutality is actually 'excessive use of force' so IMO it IS brutal.

Soupdragon, ive had first hand experience of casual police brutality on several occassions and I hold a criminal record. I haven't lived a sheltered life by any stretch of the imagination. Unfortuantely.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Apr-09 22:27:55

and taunting them with his back to them and hands in pockets... he nearly didn't gethis hands out in time to get them onto the ground first. emotions must have been running high, but the policeman made the wrong judgement i think.

nellyfin Tue 07-Apr-09 22:30:06

In fact it's the bloody idiots who come on here justifying the police's actions who are living the sheltered lives.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 07-Apr-09 22:32:58

What interests me is that the policeman who pushes him isn't directly behind him for most of the time. he seems to come up round the outside and rushes round to push the man. If the man was dawdling and being offensive, why isn't he dealt with by the policemen nearest to him?

This is of course all speculation. I realise we can only see some of it, and we can't hear it all. But it does seem like a very odd thing for the policeman concerned to have done.

FAQinglovely Tue 07-Apr-09 22:33:29

and if he was wandering and collapsed so soon after could he already have been feeling unwell at the point he was pushed (hence walking slowly??)

SoupDreggon Tue 07-Apr-09 22:39:48

I am justifying nothing and I am on no side. I am merely pointing out that you can see absolutely nothing concrete from that footage.

But hey, a criminal record, well, clearly you are far more impartial than me hmm

That was not brutality. It was a single push. He didn't kick him to the ground, he didn't whack him with his truncheon, he didn't launch in whilst the man was on the ground. It was stupid and perhaps unnecessary (we don't know, we weren't there and have only a short silent snapshot to judge by) but it certainly wasn't brutality. The video footage shown is far from conclusive.

It's interesting how people always believe that the police will have covered it up if they come out of any investigation like this as "innocent".

FAQinglovely Tue 07-Apr-09 22:42:25

this footage isn't silent here - although there's so much background noise it's hard to know who's saying what.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in