Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This made my jaw drop

(17 Posts)
MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:00:12

Just read this.

\link{http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=631054\Here.

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:01:06

here

emkana Wed 20-Apr-05 17:02:07

Very, very sad.

Why did it make your jaw drop?

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:02:40

The hearing into the death of four-month-old Iona Guiney heard that she had been put to bed with her two-year-old sister Saffron and that their mother, Caoilshionn McCann, had joined them in the early hours of the morning of January 1, 2002.

Ms McCann's partner, Bill Guiney, a sound engineer, had been working late as it was New Year's Eve and had fallen asleep in the sitting room on his return home. When he went to the bedroom at around 6.15am he noticed Iona, who was lying between her mother and sister, was a grey colour and there was a little blood coming from her nose and mouth.

Despite attempts to resuscitate the infant she was later pronounced dead at hospital.

Ms McCann from Glenarm Square, Finaghy in south Belfast said that earlier she and her partner had celebrated the New Year. She had taken a couple of glasses of champagne, possibly two beers, a third of an Ecstasy tablet and had smoked some cannabis. Mr Guiney said he had taken the rest of the E-tab and had also been drinking and smoking.

emkana Wed 20-Apr-05 17:03:22

?

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:04:05

Would you drink champagne take E and smoke joints before co sleeping?

hotmama Wed 20-Apr-05 17:05:36

Very sad. I know that it is recommended not to co-sleep because of the risks. However, I imagine that most parents at some time do snuggle with their little ones - makes you think doesn't it?

hotmama Wed 20-Apr-05 17:07:57

Must admit though I wouldn't dream of having my dd in bed if I had been on the wine? Common sense not to co-sleep if had drugs etc - thought I imagine clear thinking wasn't really there in this case? Still very sad.

emkana Wed 20-Apr-05 17:08:50

No, of course not .
So in this case should really the co-sleeping be blamed, or the drug-taking?

It makes me sad that co-sleeping gets such a bad press. I just don't understand why it's regarded to be so dangerous in our society, yes in other cultures where co-sleeping is the norm cot death is virtually unknown. How does that fit together?
The important thing is to co-sleep safely, IMO, not to warn against co-sleeping altogether.

(I don't think having a sibling next to your baby is a great idea, either. So again - the emphasis should be on co-sleeping safely.)

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 17:09:35

dh was telling me a 3 month old has just recently died in bed between its parents in Greater Manchester - don't know any details though, but it must horrendous for the parents, very, very sad.

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:11:28

Its the drug taking element taht gets me!
I have co slept with my babs. Not under the influence though!!

emkana Wed 20-Apr-05 17:13:04

No, never under the influence! I also kicked my dh out of bed in the first six months, as he's a smoker (only two a day, but still). And then I always let the dd's sleep on my side, not between us.

serenity Wed 20-Apr-05 17:13:30

I can see why it made your jaw drop, MM. I don't think blaming co sleeping for this is very responsible. Maybe pointing out that cosleeping whilst under the influence of a fair cocktail of substances is a bit on the stupid side would have been better.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Apr-05 17:18:06

Yeah, you're not meant to have sibs in the bed, or if they are, they shouldn't be next to the baby. Everyone next to the baby should be sober, not over-tired, and aware the baby is there.

I find this sort of thing really sad, but not as sad as more intentional child deaths, IYKWIM.

Freckle Wed 20-Apr-05 17:18:22

Surprised that the coroner put the emphasis on the co-sleeping rather than the fact that both parents (in the first case) had been drinking alcohol and taking illegal substances. I wonder how much research has been done into co-sleeping deaths where the parents have been taking either alcohol or drugs or both.

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 17:25:09

Exactly. Not enough emphasis on the drug taking effect on the death of their child, in that case.

SofiaAmes Wed 20-Apr-05 21:01:22

Yes, it really gets me angry. There is fairly clear evidence that the co-sleeping is only a statistical factor when combined with alcohol, smoke and/or drugs. To blame the co-sleeping as the reason when the parents were doing various drugs and drinking is really doing a disservice to the benefits of co-sleeping.

My rule of thumb was always and will continue to be, that at least one of the two parents at home with the children has to be sober enough to drive (or act) in case of emergency. I would expect any person who I paid to babysit/look after my children to remain sober while looking after them...why shouldn't I hold up myself to the same expectation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now