Talk

Advanced search

Garden trampolines...very dangerous

(28 Posts)
Pamina3 Wed 20-Apr-05 16:28:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suedonim Wed 20-Apr-05 16:35:19

Oh, great. I've just ordered one for the dd's.

Pamina3 Wed 20-Apr-05 16:37:03

Gwenick Wed 20-Apr-05 16:37:27

Adrian Boyle, of Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, said that the figures were low compared with football and horse-riding. “They are safe provided there is adequate parental supervision.”

Don't think many kids horse ride - but footbal!!

SoupDragon Wed 20-Apr-05 16:39:28

"The most common injuries were caused by collisions and bouncing off the equipment."

Can be loosely translated as "The most common injuries were caused by stupidity"

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 20-Apr-05 16:39:54

ha ha ha not to allow somersaults !!! whats the point of having one then!

everything that is fun is a bit dangerous. not to mention that kids LOVE having a plaster pot and loads of attention.

let em bounce and crash and love it

Gobbledigook Wed 20-Apr-05 16:40:20

And if you have it sunk into the ground then there is no problem with falling off - that's what I'm going to do I think.

Gwenick Wed 20-Apr-05 16:40:54

Wonder what the figures are for bicycles and kids - especially of the age they take the stabilisers off!

ambrosia Wed 20-Apr-05 16:41:11

SueW Wed 20-Apr-05 16:42:13

Oh FFS. The blasted article explains itself anyway. Trampolines aren't dangerous but misuse of them is. Like knives - y'know, they aren't particularly dangerous unless you choose to use them in a bad way or haven't been shown how to use them.

A boy we know broke his arm on his. His parents had bought a fun ring to keep him safe. But a fun ring doesn't allow for dad jumping on it with three kids.

The pads on some of the cheap ones are really crap and come off very easily and people don't replace them.

Children who haven't had rules explained to them will attempt somersaults etc and yes, they can break their neck doing so.

I hate seeing them in some people gardens - next to the water feature and squeezed up against the fence cos there's not really enouhg room for them.

scotlou Wed 20-Apr-05 16:43:27

Well we're getting one too - mind you not sure if it's for the kids or me! I think with supervision they should be OK - and surely that's the same with most things anyway? Let's face it, they could drown when swimming, break arms, legs skulls etc on bikes / roller skates - but I'd much rather they were active than watching TV!

Milliways Wed 20-Apr-05 16:48:13

The large circular ones throw you into the middle, which helps. My DS broke his leg on ours 2 years ago but did NOT come off it. He broke the rules about how many on at a time (it was fairly new then) and fell badly with his leg under him. It was one of those things and 2 yrs later both kids are still bouncing away regularly.

I would rather he was trampolining than playing rugby for exanple.

tarantula Wed 20-Apr-05 16:49:42

Kids will be kids and if they arent breaking their arms on trampolines then theyll do it falling off the wall or while trying to roll a beer barrel by standing on it Mind you we could always keep them in and only let them play computer games or something.

wonder if the number of accidents in other areas has fallen tho as kids are now doing thed amage by bouncing on tramoplines rather than using skateboards or bmx bikes or whatever so prob the over all percentage has stayed about the same I should think.

suedonim Wed 20-Apr-05 17:08:29

I guess it's just another story to scare us with. Take your pick - a broken arm from falling off a trampoline or a heart attack from not enough exercise!

Ambrosia, my neighbour broke his leg playing rounders with the local kids. Several people heard it SNAP but he ignored them. He had to take notice next morning when he couldn't get out of bed, though!

Gwenick Wed 20-Apr-05 17:10:40

I would rather he was trampolining than playing rugby for exanple.

ooooo no - give me rugby anyday

flashingnose Wed 20-Apr-05 17:11:35

Life...very dangerous

sparklymieow Wed 20-Apr-05 17:15:30

I would prefer my kids to be out on the trampoline than sitting inside on the computer (like DS does) and it actually gets him outside.....

morningpaper Wed 20-Apr-05 17:16:20

I think we should all fill in our gardens with new houses, to avoid exposing our children to dangerous OUTSIDE PLAY.

Seriously the woman who bought it for her fortieth and three grown men broke their arms on it - DO NOT USE WHEN PISSED, IDIOTS!

tortoiseshell Wed 20-Apr-05 17:18:03

I've heard that the most common injury is from having too many children on at once, and cracking heads together. I think the recommendation is one child at a time, and at ds' gymnastics they are VERY strict about this. Can't see a problem with them otherwise.

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 17:18:12

Anteater will be here soon to tell you not to worry

hub2dee Wed 20-Apr-05 17:23:49

Someone I know (24ish ?) is on crutches with MONTHS of physio and recovery ahead following surgery on ligaments / knee in one leg....

She bounced but landed with her centre of gravity / weight behind (instead of forward), with her leg kind of a bit forward and stuck out, IYSWIM. Total mess.

Still, there's a million more dangerous things for kids to be doing and as long as they're interested I'd imagine it's a great thing to do.

thedogmother Wed 20-Apr-05 17:32:29

We've got one, fantastic really, with a bit of common sense. Unfortunately, our next door neighbour's little girl decided to do a handstand on ours, fell awkwardly (not actually OFF the trampoline at all), and dislocated her elbow. She was on the trampoline on her own at the time.

She's OK now, but did need an operation on the arm. Boy did I feel bad. The neighbours have been great though, and she has been on it since.

froot Wed 20-Apr-05 18:32:16

I would not have a trampoline without a safety net...mainly because I knew Mike Nemesvery (mentioned in times article ) when I was about 15 which is when he had his accident. If I remember right he came down on the pads on the back of his neck and was instantly paralysed.

Our safety net comes INSIDE the pads so no real danger of landing on them.

Th tramp is the best £400 I have ever spent but I am strict , it's a 14 footer and I never allow more than 3 at a time on it.

Whizzz Wed 20-Apr-05 19:10:48

AAArrrggghhh (my favourite phrase at the mo)

That's what gives Health & Safety a bad name !

Caligula Wed 20-Apr-05 19:12:34

Very sad about the kid who died of a brain haemorrhage though. Not something you would expect of something as innocuous as a trampoline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now