gingerbear Tue 19-Apr-05 14:37:47

PMSL
The word is spreading.

Aero Tue 19-Apr-05 14:40:51

rofl!!

Sponge Tue 19-Apr-05 14:41:52

Fabulous

Lonelymum Tue 19-Apr-05 14:42:38

Sorry, this is a bit of a thread hijack but I have been meaning to write this for some time.

My children have only just started having school dinners (previously lived in an area that didn't provide them at all). While the children seem very happy with their meals, I am quite concerned about what they are eating. Yesterday, for instance, they had "Chicken WWW'S" What are they, does anyone know? Ds1 said they had fish fingers but I don't think that would be the case as they had those on Friday. Are they a sort of chicken nugget? Does anyone else bother about their children's school dinners or is it just me because this is a new situation for me?

Demented Tue 19-Apr-05 14:43:12

Brilliant! ROFL!!!

Demented Tue 19-Apr-05 14:48:48

Sorry Lonelymum, your post wasn't there when I posted.

I am concerned about School dinners too. My DS1 started School in August (although we are in Scotland apparently the meals up here are of a better standard), my DS1 mostly goes School lunches and at first was coming home saying he has had soup or pasta but now more and more he is coming back saying he has had a hotdog, something or other with potato smiles or pizza (I know pizza can be healthy but would imagine that this is processed pizza). I really belive the junk should be banned as it is really tempting for children to choose the unhealthy options.

Beetroot Tue 19-Apr-05 14:50:09

Message withdrawn

Sponge Tue 19-Apr-05 14:51:46

Same old shite but teddy shaped presumably

WestCountryLass Tue 19-Apr-05 14:55:06

Hi LonelyMum, I have no idea what those chicken wwws are but was meaning to ask you when I 'saw' you around how you are getting on? Are you feeling more settled?

bambi06 Tue 19-Apr-05 14:56:36

mmm i wonder whats in those chicken teddies? chicken nuggets in another guise i think!!!!

SoupDragon Tue 19-Apr-05 15:42:51

I'm extremely p*ssed off with DS1s school menu. Last term we had a letter saying they were concerned about making school dinners healthier, blah blah, Jamie Oliver, blah blah blah. The cost of school dinners went up this term and on Thursday there are sodding Turkey Twizzlers on the menu. TTs in a wrap no less. So, adding a wrap makes them healthier?? Other gems are sausage rolls, hot dogs, monster feet and turkey dinosaur.

snafu Tue 19-Apr-05 15:45:33

What has wickedwaterwitch done to Bernard Matthews to deserve a chicken-flavoured homage, then? I think we should be told.

Lonelymum Tue 19-Apr-05 16:01:31

Snafu Well what else could WWW stand for?

I think my children started school dinners at just the wrong time - just when JO was doing his stuff.

Another thing that gets me is that there is a fair smattering of homemade stuff on my children's school menu (which I presume is healthier) but it is mainly vegetarian meals and I was told at the outset, you had to pre-order vegetarian meals. As none of my children are vegetarian, and wouldn't want to eat purely vegetarian food, they are essentially excluded from choosing the healthier option on the day.

Also, what do you give your children to eat in the evening if they have had a hot school dinner? I can't just give them sandwiches as I am never sure how much of the dinner they have eaten or whether they have had the vegetables or not. Also, I have one pre-schooler who needs his hot dinner regardless, so I am unsure what to give them all that will meet all their needs. Anyone else have a way round this? Don't suggest I cook for the little one at midday: that would drive me crazy.

BTW WestCountryLass, thanks for asking. We are beginning to feel a bit more settled, but it is still early days yet.

WestCountryLass Tue 19-Apr-05 20:40:36

Personally I would cook a meal for the whole family of an evening and give the pre-schooler sarnies or wotnot at lunch.

Lonelymum Tue 19-Apr-05 20:50:24

That is what I have always done but now I find my school aged children don't necessarily have the appetite for a hot meal. I suppose I shall just have to do smaller portions. Also, as I am now paying over £20 a week for school dinners, I was hoping to save a bit off my supermarket bill, but maybe it will all pan out OK.

Demented Tue 19-Apr-05 23:43:22

I often cook at lunch (pasta or something) and dinner (one at School and one at home) and I don't have any problems with DS1 eating a cooked meal again at night even after he's had a School dinner, he's always starving.

ROFL at twizzlers in a wrap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now