Talk

Advanced search

COT DEATH

(270 Posts)
nannyoakley Mon 18-Apr-05 21:31:46

I'd be interested knowing what anyone thinks about cot death being in the news so much and what your thoughts are on cot death. Most parents are left confused by what to do and we hear from people all the time wanting to know what is going on - why there are so many cot death parents being released from prison, why they were ever in prison in the beginning. The main gist of our campaign is to make sure our news about mattress wrapping for cot death prevention reaches the public, and give parents an informed choice, we believe it should be the parents who decide what they want to do - and believe me, we hear from people every day wanting to know about the Cot Life campaign.

Please ask questions / tell me what you think about what you are hearing in the news and reading on the internet, your thoughts are valuable to me and I think this is a serious issue that needs public debate.

Hope you can help.
Many thanks
Julee

Moomin Mon 18-Apr-05 21:33:46

is this what we were posting about the other day re trip traps and judges? Shall i do what we are sposed to or ignore?

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 21:34:58

Report, I would

Moomin Mon 18-Apr-05 21:38:04

done it. now we can go elsewhere!

marthamoo Mon 18-Apr-05 21:41:28

nannyoakley has been before

nannyoakley Mon 18-Apr-05 21:42:52

And can I ask - what is wrong with me being here?

Moomin Mon 18-Apr-05 21:51:42

go on the link and read what happened last time. but i'd have thought you knew all that already?

nannyoakley Mon 18-Apr-05 21:56:24

Yes, but I am just trying to have a civil conversation and you keep beating me up. When I have nothing constructive to add to a conversation - I keep out of it!!!

Don't you want anyone to have an opinion?

Moomin Mon 18-Apr-05 21:59:37

happy days - you carry on. I'm off. Been interesting reading all threads linked below though.

hunkermunker Mon 18-Apr-05 22:06:34

Your campaign doesn't recognise that smoking, overheating and lying babies on their fronts are all factors in cot death.

And Roger Cook doesn't think much of you either, iirc.

MistressMary Mon 18-Apr-05 22:08:14

Oh for goodness sake.
Is there a full moon or something?

lockets Mon 18-Apr-05 22:11:24

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 18-Apr-05 22:13:23

I think I would prefer to stick to following the recommendations and guidelines widely recognised in the UK and worldwide, thanks.

nannyoakley Mon 18-Apr-05 22:17:20

Your campaign doesn't recognise that smoking, overheating and lying babies on their fronts are all factors in cot death.

And Roger Cook doesn't think much of you either, iirc.

The Cot Life campaign does recognise overheating and lying babies on their fronts as risk factors. Smoking is not good around a baby - but it does not cause cot death and this is documented.

Which organisation are you from?

My baby was laid to sleep on his tummy and never woke up one day.(1984) I was told in hospital I must lay him on his tummy to sleep - I was also advised to lay my daughter on her tummy (1982) I was told that it prevented cot death! Back in the 80's it was the done thing - babies were laid to sleep on their tummies.

What I find hard to believe is that you don't recognise the dangers of arsenic, phorspherous and antimony - these are deadly posions and should clearly be near no child and in no child product, but these posions have been used in the manufacturing of cot mattresses and baby bedding for some years - about the same amount of years that cot death has been around.

Gwenick Mon 18-Apr-05 22:19:44

But how long HAS cot death been around? How many cot deaths in history were put down to 'other' causes???

Hulababy Mon 18-Apr-05 22:20:12

If what you say is true - do you have evidence/research/etc to link too??? - then surely a huge campaign against the use of arsenic, phorspherous and antimony would be a better way forward. That would then make mattress wrapping, or whatever else, unnecessary - and would be a far safer option.

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 22:20:54

Message withdrawn

MistressMary Mon 18-Apr-05 22:21:33

Sacremongering.

MistressMary Mon 18-Apr-05 22:21:52

scaremongering even.

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:25:47

Oh FFS, nannyoakley, I have 4 kids who all slept on their tummies on the same unwrapped mattress, 2 of them on lambskin fleeces! Are they dead? What do you think? Piss off, eh?

hunkermunker Mon 18-Apr-05 22:27:09

So why are you not supporting the back-to-sleep campaign?

I'm not from any organisation, btw.

Pruni Mon 18-Apr-05 22:27:37

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Mon 18-Apr-05 22:28:08

more like 'advertising'..........cotlife2000.com was registered by the same person you have to contact to get more information on the BabeSafe products.

And guess who's just happens to be mentioned on the cotlife website for purchasing these productsin the UK (therefore earning money from it(

Julee Oakley

JoolsToo Mon 18-Apr-05 22:30:41

my 3 slept tummy down on a mothercare cheap (I was v poor) mattress that I carried home on the bus! (70's) is this relevant?

no, you're waffling woman shaddup!

Socci Mon 18-Apr-05 22:30:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now