Talk

Advanced search

Disabled CBeebies presenter

(40 Posts)
ThomasTankEngine Sat 28-Feb-09 22:19:29

Apparently, peolpe have written on the BBC web page expressing their dismay aat the new CBeebies presenter being disabled (having 1 arm). One parent said her child was traumatised.

This is astounding. I had to point out to my DS that the presenter had one arm as he hadn't noticed,and we had a good discussion about disabities.

I think its great shes presenting.

BriansAmazingBeard Sat 28-Feb-09 22:21:38

thread here

very sad

spicemonster Sat 28-Feb-09 22:21:55

There have been several threads on this I think but I agree with you

FairyMum Sat 28-Feb-09 22:22:46

I have been waiting for my children to notice and they haven't. My eldest is 9 and she has not said anything.

I am ashamed to admit it makes me feel uncomfortable. I want her to pull her jumper down. I know this is my issue and really I am happy she is there so perhaps my children will be more used to seeing disabled people and not feel like me....

ThomasTankEngine Sat 28-Feb-09 22:23:24

Ah I missed this thread. Glad it has been picked up already.

StudentMadwife Sat 28-Feb-09 22:24:37

On the plus side, 9 official complaints against MILLIONS of happy viewers is nothing to kick up a stink about. Its a VVV small minority against millions of children and parents watching everyday who are happy with her. Its a great oppotunity IMO to disscuss disabilities and differences

Nighbynight Sat 28-Feb-09 22:26:08

gosh, poor woman having to put up with that sort of attack. We really do have a long way to go.

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 28-Feb-09 22:42:36

I agree with FairyMum - I feel a bit weird about seeing the presenter's arm, but I fully recognise that is my issue, not hers or the BBC's.

spicemonster Sat 28-Feb-09 22:46:36

I am really shocked that seeing someone with a bit of arm missing makes anyone feel weird.

Perhaps I'm just amazed that you've got through life without knowing anyone with disabilities - there were two boys in my year at school who were missing a hand so it seems utterly normal to me

boogiewoogie Sat 28-Feb-09 23:00:17

I read an article in The Independent about disabled models and Cerrie Burrell (I think) was also featured.

The type of work that I am in means that I quite often see people with disabilities. In fact, I only just noticed the other day that one of my students hand wasn't quite formed and was missing a few fingers.

I have a lot of admiration for her, she doesn't even try to hide her disability and why should she?

As for scaring a child, well, they will have to learn that people with disabilities do exist and it doesn't make them any inferior than the next person. Sadly they are marginalised and do suffer discrimination because of how they are perceived in society. ds was 3 when he met a man from PIL's church who had one arm and one leg. He wasn't scared at all, in fact he was fascinated and had a nice chat with the man about what had happened.

southeastastra Sat 28-Feb-09 23:02:11

poor girl she's a perfectly good presenter and there's nothing wrong with her

hell, we had to endure johnnie ball in the 70s

spicemonster Sat 28-Feb-09 23:07:08

(((zoe)))

frecklyspeckly Sun 01-Mar-09 22:35:54

My DD just wanted to know 'Is it sore?' to which I replied 'no'.Then she said 'Does she KNOW she has an arm missing?'so I said yes, but that it was okay and she was quite alright and not 'ill'. I really think most children are far more accepting of this than the adults.FWIW I think she is a lovely presenter - whilst the bloke they have got seems to lack confidence. I feel very sorry for Cerrie - she has a 4 month old baby - pretty nasty for any new mum to have to put up with abuse at work let alone to be publicly vilified.

I was a bit suspicious of the BBC's motives to have her uncovered arm so prominent at all times - Sorry- but then I realised the lass naturally uses her arm to perform all manual tasks and felt ashamed for thinking anything else.

(feel free to pile on and flog me for my honesty.)

KiwiKat Sun 01-Mar-09 22:40:41

It took ME a while to figure out what was different about her, and my 2 1/2 year old still hasn't. He likes both presenters, so I'm happy that he's happy, end o' story.

wrinklytum Sun 01-Mar-09 22:47:02

I think she is great,and as the mum of a disabled child with both visible (Physical) disability and also learning disability I am very pleased she is on C-beebies.

Freckly I am puzzled by your last paragraph.(I am not "Piling on", just genuinely puzzled,what on earth SHOULD she do with her arm,I mean how could her arm be LESS prominent,do you feel she should wear a prosthesis or something??

corblimeymadam Sun 01-Mar-09 22:48:06

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Sun 01-Mar-09 22:55:01

Mumsnet consensus is that both new presenters need to warm up into the role. I find them both a bit wooden, but then I was shocked that Chris and Pui were leaving, so I'm sure I'm biased.

The biggest issue that I have with her is that she has no right to look that good when she has a baby the age of my DD2! DH is very nice and keeps telling me that it's the wonder of BBC make-up, but she doesn't have make me feel matronly and generally haggered. grin

JodieO Sun 01-Mar-09 23:20:48

My father is disabled and my children have never had an issue with disability, it's a non issue for me and them; just as race isn't.

frecklyspeckly Mon 02-Mar-09 22:15:06

I just initially wondered why her arm was always uncovered i wasn't offended by this and certainly do not feel she should wear a prosthesis.

I cant really put into words what I am trying to say but really I just hoped they werent pushing the fact she was a disabled presenter in a way that undermined her as a presenter in her own right- to me she is a good presenter regardless of the fact she has one arm or otherwise.

To be honest a friends' mum has one arm and at this time of year for practical reasons (keeping warm) she doesn't have her arm uncovered at every opportunity. I noticed Cerrie ALWAYS has her arm uncovered and I just hoped that this wasnt exploitation of Cerrie.

Then, as the post stated, I realised there was a practical reason why her sleeve is always rolled up and realised it was not exploitation.

ThomasTankEngine Wed 04-Mar-09 16:01:41

One parent wrote on the BBC website that his daughter was shocked and distraught ( I am paraphrasing).

I think that its therefore good that this presenter is on so that parents can teach their children that having no hand / being brown / having blond hair is what makes us all the more interesting.

This conversation is stimulated at home, in a quiet environment, rather than a child screaming and pointing in public.

I would be horrified with my parenting skills if a child of mine behaved in that manner

Kevlarhead Thu 05-Mar-09 00:42:52

SATAN MAKES ROOM FOR PARENTS WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT DISABLED TV PRESENTER

PARENTS who complained about a one-armed childrens' TV presenter will have their own very special corner of Hell, Satan confirmed last night.

Lucifer's minions are sweeping out a disused basement room that will be kitted out to look like the Teletubbies house and then filled ankle deep with a corrosive mixture of children's vomit, gerbil excrement and out of date Sunny Delight.

A spokesman for Beelzebub said: "These people seem to think a one-armed young lady appearing momentarily inside a flickering box in their living room is the very stuff of nightmares. Let's just say we're reasonably confident we can prove them wrong."

-------

Daily Mash, getting it right again...

frecklyspeckly Thu 05-Mar-09 21:19:45

shit, may i just re-iterate yet again I heart Cerrie ?

lilacclaire Thu 05-Mar-09 22:53:27

How on earth are disabled people meant to be accepted fully into society when people still want them hidden away! Sorry, it makes me mad!

lilacclaire Thu 05-Mar-09 22:54:01

My DS still hasn't noticed either btw.

bran Thu 05-Mar-09 23:01:36

My DS just noticed on Tuesday, he asked why she had one arm shorter than the other. I said I didn't know, perhaps she had had and accident or she may have been born that way. DS lost interested and watched Charlie and Lola. No sign of trauma there at all.

I did briefly wonder why she didn't wear a prosthesis. I don't know anything at all about them but she has movement in her elbow joint which I thought meant that she would be able to control some movement in a prosthesis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now