Talk

Advanced search

Alcohol reduces breastmilk

(11 Posts)
beansprout Thu 07-Apr-05 09:55:39

A study in the US has concluded that drinking alcohol while b/f, even in moderate amounts, can reduce the supply of milk.

here

JoolsToo Thu 07-Apr-05 09:56:43

you can drink as much as you want when your bottle feeding

Tessiebear Thu 07-Apr-05 09:59:23

I suppose it makes sense as Alcohol does de-hydrate you. I b/fed DS2 for 2 years and did drink alcohol - but no more than a couple of units in one go - and i ALWAYS had loads of milk

Tessiebear Thu 07-Apr-05 10:00:21

LOL Joolstoo!

mummytosteven Thu 07-Apr-05 10:03:07

just one thought tho - as expressing isn't necessarily a reliable method of measuring milk production, would the same effects necessarily be seen if a woman was feeding a baby after alcohol as if she was expressing?

mears Thu 07-Apr-05 10:18:15

Hmmm... I am not sure about this study. When I expressed regularly I got various times for letdown and various amounts for a variety of reasons. Observing feeding would have been a better way to do it - agree mummytosteven.
Alcohol is not an issue really unless it is crateloads!

Fennel Thu 07-Apr-05 10:21:49

hmm. have always drunk plenty of alcohol and have a good milk supply - I suggest eating chocolate while drinking alcohol - as chocolate increases the supply you won't need to worry about alcohol reducing it

(unsurprisingly I don't lose weight breastfeeding ...)

RTMTMML Thu 07-Apr-05 10:40:37

I wish someone had told my breasts. Blimey, the amount of milk in there I'm pretty convinced that the alcohol increased my supply. lol

welshmum Thu 07-Apr-05 10:42:34

It's all part of a plot to remove all pleasures in life from ttc/pg/bf mothers - eventually we wil be banned from drinking at all until we reach the menopause.

chipmonkey Thu 07-Apr-05 11:16:47

LOL, Fennel!

pixel Fri 08-Apr-05 14:36:50

I had enough milk for quads. I'd have been on the gin if I'd known!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now