Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Barack Obama's open letter to his daughters and every child in America

(115 Posts)
spokette Tue 20-Jan-09 09:23:53

Brack Obama published this letter in Parade Magazine in USA last week.

At his core, he is a family man who loves and cherishes his daughters as well as his beautiful wife. I love him.smile

bamboostalks Tue 20-Jan-09 09:27:49

What a load of sentimental crap. If he wants to write to them great but keep it private otherwise it is just publicity. Thank God we do not have Gordon Brown writing to his sons in an 'open letter'. If he is so keen to see equality in education then why is he sending them to a £20,000 a year private school?

spokette Tue 20-Jan-09 09:33:37

Obama is making history and inspires millions. You on the other hand, just sound bitter and inspire nobody.

bamboostalks Tue 20-Jan-09 09:46:28

Thank you for that personal attack, how gracious, I thought we were discussing a letter, not one another.

SammyK Tue 20-Jan-09 09:49:58

I think he is inspiring, not read the link, but he gives Americans a feeling of positive change, that anything can happen, that they can pull together and make things better, and making this letter public is a great way of involving America's future in that. smile

ANamesANameForAThatsTaken Tue 20-Jan-09 09:52:03

LOL, sorry but I'm with bamboo on this one. mawkish sentimentality.

As for Obama inspiring millions, well, lets wait and see what his achievements are before we judge him.

morningpaper Tue 20-Jan-09 09:52:29

I agree with bamboostalks

Lizzylou Tue 20-Jan-09 09:56:12

I agree, very inspiring and hopeful.
I can hardly imagine Gordon Brown publishing a letter like this either, perhaps GB should think about ways that he could be seen as a tad more "human" and inspirational.

Goodness knows we need something to cling onto at the moment.

NewAmazingBeginning Tue 20-Jan-09 09:57:53

I agree it should have been kept private but if he also means it for every child in America there is no point not printing it.

I think the school is because of the need for high security around the girls.

Jux Tue 20-Jan-09 10:03:13

I'm half with Spokette and half with Bamboostalks. Obama's election is, without doubt, a profound and moving event. He seems utterly likeable, honest, straight - all the things Brown isn't (or Blair, or Cameron etc). He has inspired Americans already and millions all over the world, without even having taken office yet. But with the greatest will in the world, I don't see how he can live up to people's expectations and hopes.

The letter is lovely, but seems a bit of a publicity stunt, and I wonder whether he wrote it or his speech writers. On the other hand, I'm sure it will have the effect on the majority of the public (in the US anyway) that it is supposed to have, and therefore, what does it matter who wrote it?

Drusilla Tue 20-Jan-09 10:04:43

I'm with bamboostalks.

spokette Tue 20-Jan-09 10:06:09

The magazine asked the President-Elect to get personal and tell them what he wants for his children. He was asked, he did not volunteer!

Why do some people have to be mean and cynical about well meaning intentions?hmm

purits Tue 20-Jan-09 10:07:09

Is that really a letter for a 7 year old?

I feel slightly sorry for BO - he's going to find it tough living up to the hype. I'm surprised that so many Brits are swallowing this. It seems like 1997 all over again and we know how that ended.

UnquietDad Tue 20-Jan-09 10:07:09

The sentiment is fine, if a little on the slushy side, but i do wonder if he wrote it himself. And while noble sentiments are good, I do hope we will be hearing a little less in the next six months about the WHAT and a little more about the HOW.

purits Tue 20-Jan-09 10:10:27

Is anyone else worried by how much he drags his family into everything? If I was a politician (not that that will ever happen) I would tell the press that my kids were OFF LIMITS!!angry

morningpaper Tue 20-Jan-09 10:10:37

Of course he didn't write it!

spokette Tue 20-Jan-09 10:11:11

Anamesfornamessake

"As for Obama inspiring millions, well, lets wait and see what his achievements are before we judge him."

He inspires millions of African-Americans, especially those who lived through the civil rights era. He inspires people every where because we see someone who has acquired his achievements through hard work, sacrifice and self-belief, not through patronage or trading on family name or money.

Elfrida Tue 20-Jan-09 10:11:16

I haven't read the letter because Obama won't have written it just like all his speeches, but I'm hopeful and excited about him anyway.

Cies Tue 20-Jan-09 10:12:14

I agree UD. It all sounds fine, a bit too sentimental etc, but who doesn't want good schools, clean energy, wars only for a just cause etc? What we need from B.O. is HOW he's going to go about doing this. Less talking more doing.

chocolatedot Tue 20-Jan-09 10:15:33

I'm with Bamboo. I find Obama's election totally inspiring, profound and uplifting. But that is bleeeurgh.

happywomble Tue 20-Jan-09 10:27:42

It would be interesting to see a similar letter from Gordon Brown to his sons. How would he justify all the house building on greenbelt land in the pipeline and airport expansion, meaning less green space for his sons to grow up in.

InSearchOfLostKeys Tue 20-Jan-09 10:35:34

It's just very American isn't it? That kind of mawkish sentimentality. It's the way they do things. I'm sure that's partly why their inauguration ceremonies and political rallies are so spectacular and emotional compared to our lacklustre affairs. Doesn't change my opinion, still love him.

bamboostalks Tue 20-Jan-09 10:41:36

Like everyone, I admire him and I have great hopes and wish him nothing but success but Spokette blind adoration for politicians is never a good idea and critical analysis is not cynicism. Open letters like that make me heave, his audience is clearly not his daughters and I would rather he didn't use his family so much in his public life, it is one of the least admirable things about him. They deserve privacy.

midnightexpress Tue 20-Jan-09 10:49:38

I'm with those who want to see what he does before we reach too many conclusions.

I am delighted that he's coming to office, but can't help questioning the fervour surrounding his win. People are expecting miracles. He has enormous problems to deal with in the US and abroad. And while I agree that he is an inspiration to thousands (African Americans and others), all he's actually achieved so far is winning the race. The job is yet to be done. And it's a big one.

SuperSillyus Tue 20-Jan-09 10:50:32

Why wouldn't he have written it? I'm sure he is capable of writing stuff, why not? But maybe someone PR-ish was involved with the idea of a letter to his children. Loads of people will love that soppy shit.

But I did read with interest and hopefullness the significant line...

"Sometimes we have to send our young men and women into war and other dangerous situations to protect our country-but when we do, I want to make sure that it is only for a very good reason, that we try our best to settle our differences with others peacefully"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now