Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At the risk of sounding like a DM reader, what is wrong with calling a school a school?

(22 Posts)
Hassled Sat 03-Jan-09 20:34:15

..rather than "a place for learning".

Here. Life really is too short to be quibbling over the use of the word school. FFS.

kittywise Sat 03-Jan-09 20:34:55

It's a load of old bollocks

Hassled Sat 03-Jan-09 20:36:26

I thank you.

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:38:20

lol at the bit about not using the word school as it was oart of their new learning approach - sums up educational polcy very well lol

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:42:40

"a place for learning" doesn't sound right. Thinking in the mornings - "time to get up for the place for learning"

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:43:07

put your shoes on quick or you'll be late for the place for learning.

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:43:29

The place for learning bus is coming soon

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:43:50

do you have the place for learning uniform in stock?

randomcupsoftea Sat 03-Jan-09 20:44:36

One day the place for learning inspectors will turn up

Heated Sat 03-Jan-09 20:46:12

I would worry about any headteacher who spends too long thinking about these sorts of things.

bronze Sat 03-Jan-09 20:46:33

Get all the local students (uni/college age) to turn up one morning. they would soon change it back

MadamDeathstare Sat 03-Jan-09 20:48:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Sat 03-Jan-09 20:51:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotanOtter Sat 03-Jan-09 20:59:14

epitomises all that is wrong with education today imo - too wishy washy

everything 'studies' and very little studying

LittleBella Sat 03-Jan-09 21:01:35

Hmmm. Presumably because she wanted to dump all the negastive baggage that goes with the word "school"

But "place for learning" sounds like an extraordinarily limited vision of what a school can be tbh.

LittleBella Sat 03-Jan-09 21:01:51

negative even

Hassled Sat 03-Jan-09 21:11:01

I will be looking for a place for learning run dress before too long.

Agree that the Head/Management Team and Governors really really must have too much time on their hands.

Jux Sat 03-Jan-09 21:43:47

That's what the Head said apparently, LittleBella. But it doesn't change anything and she'll just get a load of negative baggage hung onto 'place for learning' instead. She seems to have ignored all the positive baggage that goes with school.

I certainly wouldn't want a child of mine to go to a place for learning or school which can't even admit what it is. It's a totally ridiculous action on the school's part. They'll be talking about Euphemism breaks nextgrin

UnquietDad Sun 04-Jan-09 16:14:44

Even the name is made-up - there is no Watercliffe Meadow. It's a conflation of three schools' names - Shirecliffe, Watermead and somewhere-or-other Meadow.

They're a rum lot up 'ere in Sheffield.

petesneat Sun 04-Jan-09 16:16:50

There is a whole new push onto calling kids working "learning" all to do with the "lifelong" learning idea.

You do get used to it after a while and it does have a much more positive feel.

petesneat Sun 04-Jan-09 16:18:27

Also schools are under a lot of pressure from the government (who else?) to be open all hours and to serve the community more, rather than lying dormant all summer.

For a lot of illiterate adults the whole word school portays the place as one of bad memories. The idea of a place for learning I presume is tied into all that.

paolosgirl Sun 04-Jan-09 16:23:07

Yes, but you can still learn at a school - and then college or university! Schools can be fantastic, positive places as well - they are in the main. She might do better ensuring that her staff, the children and the parents work towards ensuring that the school is one of these places rather than coming up with this load of baloney.

If I were a parent there I would have great fun calling it a school at every possible opportunity grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now