Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is the family to blame in this story?

(81 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:05:13

Read this.

I'm wondering how it is that the man could have had family alive who apparently did little or nothing to help him.

georgimama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:07:08

I'd be more concerned about how it is that people capable of behaving like that come to be paramedics, rather than casting aspertions on family members of the deceased about whom you know nothing....

what is wrong with MN today?

TheBlonde Sat 03-Jan-09 15:08:13

so his 70 yr old cousin should have cleaned his house for him? hmm

I think we should wait for the outcome of the police investigation

dietstartstomorrow Sat 03-Jan-09 15:09:56

Agree more concerned with the way the paramedics did'nt think the man was worth saving.

edam Sat 03-Jan-09 15:10:26

They were only caught because the telephone line was still connected. How many other people have been treated badly by this crew but it's never come to light? Most paramedics and technicians are great, I'm sure, but there have been cases of thefts, for instance...

Lulumama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:11:15

maybe his family lived a long way away, or had their own issues? maybe the deceased would not allow them in to his home due to pride? maybe his family oculd not be bothered?

at the end of the day, the paramedics behaved appalingly , immorally and in a totally unethical fashion

Mamazon Sat 03-Jan-09 15:13:06

much more telling of the amulbalnce crew than his family.
his family may not have visited the house and may not have known he was living in such conditions.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:13:54

That's right, TheBlonde, that's exactly what I said: his 70-year-old cousin should have cleaned for him. Duhhh!

Paramedics were outrageous and I hope they're dealt with severely. There are too many stories of medics allowed to treat people with no dignity.

As I said I am "wondering*...*how" this could have happened. Anyone have any more info on this case?

Lulumama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:14:46

what if the 70 year old was also infirm hmm you are directing your ire towards the wrong sourve here

JodieO Sat 03-Jan-09 15:15:49

How what could have happened?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 15:17:44

Lots of people have clutter issues. It sounds like he wasn't living in filth so much as clutter.

There's no mention of family other than a cousin.

Flightattendant7 Sat 03-Jan-09 15:17:58

Poor bloke sad

It does look a bit like my house though blush

MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:23:00

Yes, Lulu, if his cousin was the only remaining family and was ill that would be one reason how he could have ended up living that way.

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 03-Jan-09 15:24:40

I would say that if his cousin was his next of kin then chances are there was no other family around to help him.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:24:40

Btw you're wrong to think I'm full of 'ire' over this - am genuinely wondering how people could end up like this.

Lulumama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:25:47

but that is what i said in my initial post.. there might not have been anyone able or intersted, or he may have been to embarassed to let them in to help?

georgimama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:25:53

But he isn't dead because his house was cluttered, he's dead because two lazy arse so aclled paramedics who shouldn't have been allowed to look after a gerbil couldn't be bothered to attempt to resucciate him. And that's the point here, MerryHenry.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Jan-09 15:27:03

If you're genuinely curious, there are lots of websites for people who suffer from clutter/mess problems. Helpfully, I can't find any of them right now ...

Lulumama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:27:21

i t does not really takme much imagination to see how people with little/ no family can end up living like this

or people with scattered family, family a long way away, or with their own problems

most people are so concenred about keeping their own spouse and children sorted and a roof over their own heads, they don;t have the time/money/inclination to go and clean house for another relative

Lulumama Sat 03-Jan-09 15:27:54

agree georgie, the clutter did nto kill him

NAB3lovelychildren Sat 03-Jan-09 15:29:25

I don't think anyone should pass judgement.

Maybe no wanted to help him.

Maybe lots of people offered and he wouldn't accept for whatever reason.

The ambulance workers are the ones in definite wrong here imo and should be charged with manslughter.

JodieO Sat 03-Jan-09 15:29:27

Also agree that the clutter didn't kill him, complete red herring.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:31:45

Sorry, Lulu, I thought I'd replied to your first post - which I agreed with! (computer froze as I pressed 'send').

GM, I'm wondering how he could have lived that way. He appears to have died from a heart attack - I wouldn't expect his family to be able to rescue him from that. My question was about his living conditions.

NQC, I might just look into those websites as I know someone who could do with some help. Thanks.

If it is the 'family can't be bothered' cause, isn't that terribly sad? sad

Ivykaty44 Sat 03-Jan-09 15:32:53

people end up living like the pictures due to becoming infirm and not able to clean and tidy around themselves. They then become embarressed at the mess and do not let people into their homes, their relatives are not invited and therefore dont know how they are living. they become depressed about the mess and then it becomes a vicoius circle.

To dial 999 for help and then be judged on your housekeeping as to whether your life is saved is astonding and very sad if this is the case.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 03-Jan-09 15:37:14

Good point, GoldFAQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now