Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Eight year old Saudi girl refused divorce

(18 Posts)
RamblingRosa Tue 23-Dec-08 13:37:09

Link to story here.

I don't know what to add really as the story speaks for itself. It just breaks my heart to think of poor little girls sold off to old men

RamblingRosa Tue 23-Dec-08 15:06:07

bump

phraedd Tue 23-Dec-08 15:08:23

poor little thing

my dd is 10 and i hate to think of her being in a similar situation. Why do some people have children?

RamblingRosa Tue 23-Dec-08 15:12:53

I know. I think the article said that the poor thing had no idea that she was married. At least her mum was trying to get a divorce for her.

Amani Tue 23-Dec-08 15:27:58

Makes me so angry to read about things like this and people's messed up interpretation of Islam.

TheSeriousSanta Tue 23-Dec-08 15:29:35

It's horrid. I read the story, and it said that the mum had left the dad, and (as he wanted some cash) he thought this was a good way of getting some AND having a pop at his ex.

Sick. No other work for it.

Selling an 8YO to a 50-something bloke.

Though, the BUYER in this is not blameless either.

Sickening.

TinySocks Tue 23-Dec-08 15:49:52

I think I am going to throw up. This is disgusting.
Thank goodness I was born where I was born, where women are seen as human beings with rights and feelings.

donnie Tue 23-Dec-08 15:52:17

if a 58 year old man can marry an 8 year old girl then presumably he is entitled by the law to have sex with that girl. Which in this country - or in any normal functioning person's view - would be child rape.

I guess that says a lot about Saudi Arabia then.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 23-Dec-08 15:54:00

The girls is still living with her mother, not with the "husband".

Amani Tue 23-Dec-08 15:59:53

Although the article mentions that they are married - this is defined as the 'father promises his daughters and sons to marriage while still children'. I believe this happens in a villages in India/Pakistan/Africa too...

Amani Tue 23-Dec-08 16:00:50

Actually been to SA and can say the men are very sexist there - it's the whole culture of how they are bought up to view women and not religion.

donnie Tue 23-Dec-08 16:01:07

why do some men view their daughters as a commodity to be bought , sold and bartered? how would that square with anyone's interpretation of any religion?

needmorecoffee Tue 23-Dec-08 16:02:39

its not islam, thats for sure sad

fuzzywuzzy Tue 23-Dec-08 16:04:33

islamically the dowry cannot be given to anyone but the bride, I think her mother should go back to court and demand the bride gift be put in a trust till the girl is old enough to either spend it herself or return it and get an annulment.

stitch Tue 23-Dec-08 21:00:09

no donnie, he isnt.
in islam, a person becomes an adult at puberty. and sex with some one before they attain that is considered paedophilia.
tbh, i think this is all about the father causing aggravation to his ex. and gettingsome money out of a dirty old man. he has ensured the mattiage is not to be consummate d till she is 18, and that the girl doesnt know about it. from my experience of what is happeningin saudi arabia now, it is unlikely that this girl will end up withthis old man. she will be able to get the divorce as soon as her mother manages it. themother also appears to be a strong woman. for example, i may be completely incorrect, but i dont htink i am, according to the law there, a woman cannot keep her kids after the reach the age of seven. and she still has her dd aged 8.
so dont feel sick. it isnt as bad as we feel it is.

RamblingRosa Wed 24-Dec-08 08:43:48

Amani, you're right, this is a worryingly prevalent practise in India and Pakistan and probably lots of other countries too. I've read articles about it before and it just makes me want to cry when I see pictures of little girls dressed up as brides. They don't have a clue what's going on

Amani Wed 24-Dec-08 09:01:08

Rambling - quite right and it is a cultural practice as also occurs in Hindusim in India too. I blame the parents for being so god damn greedy - how can anyone do that to thier own flesh and blood.

ScummyMummy Wed 24-Dec-08 09:20:48

Very very sad that the father views his daughter as a chattel to be disposed of according to his financial convenience. Poor child. And poor mother. It must be heartbreaking for her not to be able to protect her daughter via legal or other means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now