Talk

Advanced search

crowd of 50 just watch as hoodies arm rob a jewellery story but they are foiled by a 84 year old

(10 Posts)
nolongeraworriedmummyfied Sat 01-Nov-08 15:50:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Sat 01-Nov-08 15:58:39

Its a great story, makes you sort of say 'hooray' and feel ashamed that no-one in the younger generation attempted to stop them and proud that someone in the older generation did!

But in reality he is very lucky he didn't get hit with one of those sledge hammers, which is the reason no-one else helped.

I would do the same as him if someones life was in danger but to save 'Ernest Jones' from loosing watches they can claim back on insurance... I'm not so sure.

Hes a brave fellow though and I bet those thugs were bloody surprised! grin

Callisto Sat 01-Nov-08 16:56:08

He's braver than I would ever be, though I hope if I'd been there I would have helped him and not just gawped as if it were just another reality tv show...

PeaMcLean Sat 01-Nov-08 17:16:59

I'm in two minds about this.

Yes, very brave, but part of me thinks he was mad to put himself in such danger. It could very easily have gone the other way.

Am loving his plan to use his old RAF techniques though "I was going to grab his head and put my knee in the man's back before grabbing him round the chest"

nolongeraworriedmummyfied Sat 01-Nov-08 17:29:44

nolongeraworriedmummyfied Sat 01-Nov-08 17:30:21

Nagapie Sat 01-Nov-08 17:32:28

The article in the Times seemed to imply the man actually used his nous and only 'attacked' the hoodie when he was vulnerable and unable to defend himself...

here

Perhaps the fright of actually being attacked by a pensioner must have scared the boys rigid...

RubyRioja Sat 01-Nov-08 17:36:08

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 02-Nov-08 10:02:01

Just seen this, I love this bit:

"Then, with a modesty rarely seen these days, the 6ft 3in pensioner explained to police arriving at the scene that he couldn't stop as he had to dash to an appointment. With that, he handed them his business card, hopped on a bus and was gone"

grin

DontlookatmeImshy Sun 02-Nov-08 10:10:41

Thing is, when you react to something like this you act on instinct, you don't really stop and weight up all the probable outcomes beforehand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: