Talk

Advanced search

Baby on Board Badges for the London Underground

(18 Posts)
Metrobaby Thu 10-Mar-05 08:42:08

Article here

Although somehow I still don't think it will stop commuters from pretending they haven't noticed

Expectantmum Thu 10-Mar-05 08:56:55

Personally I think its a ridiculous idea. I'm 24 wks pg and commute into London daily, first by a train and then on the DLR. I don't feel it necessary (yet) to have to ask someone if I can sit down, think I would only do that if completely desperate, although I quite often stick bump out to see if I get any reaction, purely for the laugh of it. Its amazing how many newspapers have been thrust in my face, or people all of asudden pretend to be asleep. I find it very amusing but makes me angry too because although I do not feel the need to sit down, does not mean that it doesn't affect another lady who is in the same condition. Unfortunately, we no longer live in the "good old days" where manners prevailed over everything else!

lockets Thu 10-Mar-05 09:05:29

Message withdrawn

Expectantmum Thu 10-Mar-05 09:26:15

Poor you, I can well imagine, but thats why I said it makes me angry that people deliberately ignore pregnant woman, not just me. I changed my hours, still do a seven hour day but come in and leave an hour earlier, which helps. I always get a seat on the train in the morning but the trains are always packed going home. Was thinking of driving to work but DP needs to car to get to work so thats a no-go. Not sure how you manage it though with a bump and toddler - you need a medal. Can't see myself wearing a badge either, if people ignore your bump, they are definitely going to ignore a silly badge!

donnie Sat 12-Mar-05 18:31:02

I have actually asked people in the past - not aggressively but just ' could anyone give me a seat please? I am X weeks pregnant and might collapse otherwise'.Then big smiles and thanks afterwardws. Try it-it works!

lockets Sat 12-Mar-05 18:35:19

Message withdrawn

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 18:42:27

I did it last time round when I was 39 weeks. Had to ask twice before anyone got up though

Having said that, I found people generally very good, outside of rush hour when an entirely different mindset seems to operate.

I'm currently 15 weeks and at the queasy/faint stage - not showing enough to show under my winter layers would find a badge quite useful.

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 18:43:10

(so would find a badge quite useful)

CountessDracula Sat 12-Mar-05 19:24:28

I found I got given seats a lot when pg.

Was on the Drain the other day and this pg woman strode on bellowing "Give me a seat I'm pregnant" at the top of her voice - didn't even give anyone a chance to offer her one. Very aggressive and rude I thought.

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 19:25:34

Oh, I was ever so polite

lockets Sat 12-Mar-05 19:27:08

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Sat 12-Mar-05 19:28:25

sorry the Waterloo and Shitty line should I say

Tommy Sat 12-Mar-05 19:28:48

I had to stand on a bus when I was 9m pregnant and had DS1 in a pushchair Some people were very cross on my behalf (ones sitting nearer the back so couldn't get out of their seat for me) I didn't say anything cos I thought I might cry if I did!

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 19:29:04

Yeah, and I don't think it's necessary really. I mean, sometimes I think people genuinely don't notice.

fisil Sat 12-Mar-05 19:29:27

The only time I was not offered a seat I knew I would cry if I asked (you aren't just big in late pregnancy, there's the hormone challenge too!), so dp asked for me. So I guess if I was on my own a badge might help - but it seems a bit embarrassing!

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 19:29:47

Sorry, my last post was a reply to lockets, if it sounds like a non-sequitur

lockets Sat 12-Mar-05 19:32:29

Message withdrawn

franch Sat 12-Mar-05 19:35:09

I think my hormones just gave me a feistiness boost that day - I admit I got a little kick out of shaming the lot of them Not sure if I'd wear a badge or not - would def have to remember to remove it when I got off! I think I probably would at this early stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now