Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you chose the sex of your child.....

(37 Posts)
Leoloopydoo Wed 29-Oct-08 14:13:10

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7696698.stm

There is a recent thread about how you respond to people's stupid comments when you you have more than one of the same sex child so this article caught me eye.

chequersandchess Wed 29-Oct-08 14:14:47

No I'd never choose.

Leoloopydoo Wed 29-Oct-08 14:15:45

How many and what sex do you have candc?

chequersandchess Wed 29-Oct-08 14:16:14

One DD only.

Peachy Wed 29-Oct-08 14:16:59

I wouldn't be bothered myself, but I know dh would have another baby if it were guaranteed to be a girl (we have 4 boys)- it wouldn't be that he would love that child any more or anything like that, he just feels he has missed on that side of the experience. I suppose society does say 'daddy's girl' so I can see why perhaps.

Reallytired Wed 29-Oct-08 14:18:04

I think if I had six sons and really wanted a daughter I would be really tempted.

However I have no clue what sex my bump is. I will be happy whether its a boy or a girl.

wannaBe Wed 29-Oct-08 14:22:58

no.

I think the only time where this would be appropriate would be if there was a genetic condition in the family which is only carried by boys i.e. muscular distrophy for instance.

My mum used to work in a dr's surgery, and she told me they had a patient who wanted a sexing scan to determine the gender of their baby, and that if it was a girl they wanted a termination shock on the nhs. angry

Peachy Wed 29-Oct-08 14:33:09

My friend was refused a scan as she is Asian and they were worried she sould terminate a girl- she has 3 boys, she was desperate for a girl LOL but would nevr have terminated- it is a boy, he's loved and gorgeous and fabulously cared for.

But if it had been the case that she wanted to determine sex due to a gender preference she'd have bine and paid £150 for a private scan,. no?

So whilst I am dubious about this,, and wouldnt do it myself, I wonder if it might actually prevent heartache / terminations is a very few cases?

chequersandchess Wed 29-Oct-08 14:35:03

shock peachy. They refused the actual scan? Or did they just refuse to check the sex?

lulumama Wed 29-Oct-08 14:41:29

I would not chooose, unless there was a compelling medical reason.. and even then i don;t know

we love our children for more reason than their gender

but i do understand that burning desire for one sex over teh other, but i would never personally have chosen

i have one of each and am 'lucky' apparently

i would not have tried for a girl if i had a second boy, as i did not want three children anyway.

i know people who have though.

sweetkitty Wed 29-Oct-08 14:43:35

Having 3 girls IF we had another baby then NO I still would not chose the sex, you roll the dice and take what you are given, regardless.

sb6699 Wed 29-Oct-08 14:46:36

When I was expecting DD1 I saw a sign in the hospital asking people not to ask the sex of their baby when going for their scan as they wouldn't be told.

I asked the nurse what this was about as when I had my scan when expecting DS a few years before at the same hospital they had offered to tell me.

Nurse said that tbh they had heard that some people were terminating pregnancies because they didn't want that sex of child and they had parents threatening to sue the hospital when the hospital had got the sex wrong - BANANAS.

Leoloopydoo Wed 29-Oct-08 14:50:04

Madness sb6699!

SharkyandGeorge Wed 29-Oct-08 15:05:55

Is hard to say if I ever would, I don't think so but we have 2 girls who I adore and would be more than happy with another girl if we had another baby.

Could I say for certain i'd feel the same if I had all boys, maybe i'm not sure, but I love my children based on much more than what sex they are.

notnowbernard Wed 29-Oct-08 15:07:21

NO, I'd never choose

Gobbledigook Wed 29-Oct-08 15:07:35

No, I wouldn't want to choose. I was never remotely bothered whether I had a boy or girl. I had 3 boys and am quite happy with that - they are healthy and happy and who can ask for more than that?

hatrickortreat Wed 29-Oct-08 15:32:55

Message withdrawn

Peachy Wed 29-Oct-08 15:54:40

chequers- not sure tbh, gender check I would guess

Cheesesarnie Wed 29-Oct-08 15:55:37

nope

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 29-Oct-08 22:04:44

Message withdrawn

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 29-Oct-08 22:46:42

I saw this on the news this morning and was wondering about this. It isn't something I would do myself, I only want one more child, if I had another girl, great. If I had a son, great. I wouldn't set out to have a son or a daughter, I want a child iyswim.

Though, what interested me on the BBC news item was where they were saying that, for eg, turkey do not make it easy to work out whether it is legal or not to do gender selection; and said that women could "land themselves in a legal minefield" (or words to that effect!)... what actual come back is there if a couple choose to do this? Would the UK press charges? I'm intrigued.

littlelamb Wed 29-Oct-08 22:50:52

No I wouldn't. When I was pg with ds I was so worried he would be a boy as I already had dd and had no idea what I would do with a boy. In those circumstances, had someone asked me to pick I think I honestly would have wanted a girl. I am now amazed that I even gave it a second thought, and am so happy with my little man I do find it odd though the number of people (complete strangers) who say how lucky I am to have one of each, as if that is the ideal.

nancy75 Wed 29-Oct-08 22:53:26

my aunt has 4 dcs, oldest 3 are boys, youngest is a girl, she would never have not had a baby due to the sex but she would have gone on and on until she had a girl (lucky for my uncle it only took 4 attemtps not 10!)

Talia22 Thu 30-Oct-08 11:11:19

Leo, where was the thread about dealing with stupid comments as I have 3 of the same and really despair of people's tactlessness.

jellybeans Thu 30-Oct-08 11:16:08

No I never would. I had 3 DDs first, sadly lost DD3 late in pregnancy (after MIL said 'poor daddy' at it being another girl, and she wasn't joking!). Then had twin DSs (was bit nervous what to do with two boys but they are fab), lost another DD late in pregnancy and now am heavily pg with we think a DS. I didn't care with any of them the gender so long as they survived! I have friends who are 'desperate' -usually for a girl- and I try to understand them but I just feel they should be grateful they can get pregnant and have a baby when many people cannot! (I don't tell them that though!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now