Talk

Advanced search

OMG...the Mountian Marathonn in the Lake disrict....my friends DH is up there!!!.

(35 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Sat 25-Oct-08 23:11:24

bloody hell

Their ds is the same age as ds4 so I can't phone her now.

It said 100's are still stranded out in the elements...

FAQ Sat 25-Oct-08 23:13:38

I read that earlier awful - hope your DH's friend is ok.

ladytophamhatt Sat 25-Oct-08 23:17:45

I only just saw it on teh news otherwise I would have called her.

I bet she's terrified.

I hope he's been in touch....

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 25-Oct-08 23:18:21

My dh did the OMM some years ago. The weather was awful and despite being very fit he really struggled particularly on the first day.

This looks dreadful. Hope everyone is OK.

branflake81 Sun 26-Oct-08 07:45:00

I haven't really read this story but the OMM is for v serious fell runners who will have all the equipment and who are not novices on the fells. I hope that this will prove their saving grace. It was a horrible night out there.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 10:09:33

We know the area well and my heart goes out to people who are out there wet and exhausted. But the OMM is well-organised and is only done by very experienced, extremely well-equipped runners.

The 'crisis' reported by the media is just that all the roads are blocked and communications in those valleys is very hard anyway (limited phone signals).

Setting up a tent and bedding down to wait for the hideous winds, rain and floods to subside before walking out of the area takes a while. The vast majority will be able to walk to safety themselves but until they do so they cannot all be accounted for.

The manager at the Slate Mine, Mark Weir, did a fantastic job yesterday helping to get people transported to safety. SCROLL DOWN and listen to the radio report at the bottom. He has been mis-reported by the media.

In that area everyone is aware how quickly conditions can deteriorate and at difficult times everyone pulls together and helps each other.

Fortunately the weather is much better today which will enable the floods to drain and action initiated to get everyone safely out.

ladytophamhatt Sun 26-Oct-08 10:11:53

Friends DH as been in touch, and is on his way home.

<phew>

saltire Sun 26-Oct-08 10:16:41

This is why I think mountains should be "looked at" and not climbed!grin
I'm glad your friend is ok though. At least a lot of them managed to get to safety in that mine, and at least everyone there will be well equipped(hopefully) although the police are saying a lot are stil unaccounted for

scaryfucker Sun 26-Oct-08 10:42:59

yes, the media reporting of this was a tad over-the-top. Another example of sensationalised headlines (like we don't have enough bad news in the world!)

although, of course very worrying for the families involved

nolongeraworriedmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 21:03:21

I was just going to post about this, at 5pm today aol was reporting 1700 unacounted for
is that true?

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:38:33

No, that's rubbish.
At 2am this morning 44 were unaccounted for.
At 12noon (I think) 14 were unaccounted for.
By teatime today there was no-one still missing.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:40:09

It was all a big media storm over nothing.
See here and here

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have wanted to be in Borrowdale let alone on Great Gable or Red Pike yesterday, but there was no emergency.

Waswondering Sun 26-Oct-08 21:43:09

Glad that everyone has been accounted for- seriously admire the crazy folk athletes who choose to run up and down the mountains for a spot of weekend fun, as I imagine it takes serious preparation and endurance to do so (my brother is friendly with a fell runner - he is very fit!)

See that 400 spent the night at a farm in Borrowdale? That's a lot of cups of tea to pour out!!

(I would have struggled on to the Borrowdale Hotel myself, for a real fire and lashings of hot water wink!)

FAQ Sun 26-Oct-08 21:47:21

lol had to laugh at the last paragraph of your 2nd link there

"When the BBC interviewed OMM Director Mike Parsons it was as though they were speaking two different languages. The presenter became more and more confused as each question was met by an unexpected answer, until she eventually asked; “You mean there was no emergency here?” Mike’s answer was, “No, not really.”"

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 22:03:20

I recently read Ranulph Fiennes' autobiography (he has raced in the OMM and similar things in the past).

These races are about endurance and pitting yourself against nature, and ensuring you are sufficiently well-equipped to cope with any eventuality.

I think the whole thing has been completely misunderstood by the media and the public at large.

There's no way I, or most people, would dream of taking part in something like this. And that's what you have to bear in mind the OMM competitors are not 'your average man in the street'.

We automatically relate things to our own experience, and most people find it extremely unpleasant/unbearable to be out in any sort of rain for longer than 30 mins and be in wet clothing.

Marina Sun 26-Oct-08 22:06:36

All the photos I saw looked pretty par for the course for Honister in October. Hell, I've seen it like that in July. I have a cousin who runs up big mountains for fun - as others say, these people are a breed apart and know what they are doing.
Glad a good use has been found for the wide open empty expanses of the Cockermouth Sheep and Wool Centre though wink

Waswondering Sun 26-Oct-08 22:07:04

Indeed Roisin, hear hear!!

I'm the kind of person who looks up from my fireside seat, Sunday supplements in front of me, leisurely sipping coffee in delectable surroundings while applauding those that race past the rain streaked window in skin type lycra.

I don't think I've ever even tried on the kind of garb these folks have.

Good on them for taking part - I'm sorry the weather defeated them all on this occasion.

expatinscotland Sun 26-Oct-08 22:20:49

I spent many years in the mountains.

Not as a runner, but as a climber and hillwalker.

I was very, very fortunate in that the people I fell in with had tremendous respect for the wilderness and for all forms of spending time in the wilderness.

My friends and I enjoyed a long apprenticeship, if you will, learning about the mountains and nature and how, most of all, to respect the environment we were priviledged enough to enjoy because, as the signs at the trailhead say, 'The Mountains Don't Care'.

Many times, we had goals to pursue in the wilderness. Some of those close to me even had summits or routes they wanted to pursue that they had invested thousands of pounds and months of time for the chance to persue.

But always, first and foremost, came learning that mountains and nature are never to be 'conquered' or 'challenged'. Because YOU will always lose. They were here long before you and will be here long after you.

This means weighing up risk and making as good a judgement as you can.

It means sometimes changing course and even, turning around, your goal in site, because to press further will mean your life, your health, or that of your friends and partners, may be in jeopardy.

So here's a race organised.

And there is a massive front pushing its way south.

A big, huge, enormous one.

It's already hit Scotland. It's easy to see the damage it's caused there.

There's no doubting its force. It's not one of those situations where it might pass over, blow out or not be very severe.

And yet the organisers still allowed this event to go on.

And people still went!

FFS.

This is how folks get killed. ZERO respect for where you are, for the wilderness you're in, for Mother Nature.

Not to mention the wilderness rescuers who had to put their lives at risk in adverse conditions to rescue people.

Pure idiocy.

expatinscotland Sun 26-Oct-08 22:23:57

FWIW, I'm glad everyone's okay and probably crashed out afer their open bivvy.

Open bivvies just suck if they're unplanned.

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Mon 27-Oct-08 15:09:56

DH was at the OMM this weekend, and the media attention was ridiculous! The only real problem was the flooding of the campsites and car park; the runners were well-equipped for the poor weather on the fells, and were supposed to be camping out overnight, which is something the media didn't seem to have a grasp of. People are going on about tax-payers money, but the mountain-rescue teams aren't funded by our taxes, and the RAF regularly use mountain marathons as practice for rescues! The police would hvae been involved anyway as they only went to close the flooded road to the public, then got themsleves involved with the 'rescue'. Far more people get hospitalised during fun-runs or the London Marathon!

I do think they should have cancelled it before it started as they must have known the campsites and road were going to flood, but to say hundreds were stranded on the mountain was pushing it - that was the whole idea (sort of! grin)

I was shit-scared watching the news though!!!

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 15:13:15

'I do think they should have cancelled it before it started as they must have known the campsites and road were going to flood,'

see, i agree there, especially because you'd expect at least a few injuries in such events. you know, a couple of broken ankles or hypothermics. and as the front was just so huge and obviously not going to blow out or not be such a big deal, it would go to follow the roads are going to flood and make rescue more problematic.

my ex h was SAR (search and rescue) for a season in national parks and yes, he was a volunteer.

it does appear they had bivvy sacks. those things are lame to spend the night in, but better than in the open.

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Mon 27-Oct-08 15:23:20

You're not allowed bivvy sacks, you have to take a tent! They carry out random kit checks and there's a very strict kit list for competitors. You have to take enough food for 36 hours, plus additional emergency rations, also thermals, waterproofs, space blanket, stove etc etc - they are very well-equipped and the whole point is they run for however many miles on the first day, camp in the mountains, then run back to base on the next day.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 15:25:01

Ah, I see. So why'd the media make out like they were bunch of yahoos in shorts and polypro thermals with bum bags instead of packs?

SongbirdScreamsInTheDeadOfNite Mon 27-Oct-08 15:38:20

Why indeed? As my father says, 'Good News is No News!'. Bloody annoying and irresponsible - fell running never gets any media attention, and now ......

roisin Mon 27-Oct-08 15:39:40

That's the media for you expat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now