Talk

Advanced search

colin powell gives support to barack obama

(6 Posts)
ilovemydog Sun 19-Oct-08 22:17:21

Am sooo excited about this! Colin Powell has respect from both parties, and generally viewed as an honorable guy...

here

cestlavie Mon 20-Oct-08 09:28:28

Colin Powell is a great guy - I remember reading his autobiography ("A Soldier's Way") and being very impressed by him as an individual and in his beliefs, for example, not sending troops to die overseas on political whims. He strikes me that had an incredibly tough time in the Bush administration trying to reconcile his dove-ish republican tendencies with the hawks which predominated, especially in the run up to the invasion of Iraq (that speech before the UN must have made him weep). He was once mooted as the first black US president himself til his wife asked him not to run for fear of assassination - great to see him slating McCain and Palin and backing Obama.

bagsforlife Mon 20-Oct-08 09:32:05

Yes, I posted this under the Sarah Palin thread! Glad to see he thinks Sarah Palin is
not suitable for VP as doesn't have enough 'experience'.....that's a nice way of putting it, ever the diplomat.

ByTheSea Mon 20-Oct-08 09:32:55

I thought it was a thoughtful, well-reasoned and excellent endorsement.

dweezle Mon 20-Oct-08 14:03:02

I could never really understand why Powell was in the Republican camp anyway - he always came across as a sane, reasoned calm and diplomatic democrat! I was not surprised when he resigned but was worried that the Bush juggernaut had lost it's brakes. He must have had such internal turmoil to deal with during the run up to the Iraq war.

Kevlarhead Mon 20-Oct-08 20:28:57

Reading the article:

Colin Powell: endorses Obama

Henry Kissinger: endorses McCain

That's not exactly unexpected, but I'm still feeling a slight chill...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now