Talk

Advanced search

Why you should never leave a small child home alone (even for a short period of time)

(23 Posts)
PumpkinPatty Sat 18-Oct-08 10:13:32

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7677383.stm

Thank goodness the little boy was ok.

scarletlilybug Sat 18-Oct-08 10:21:01

Why you should never go out in a car:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2217951/Parents-of-mother-killed-in-car-crash-pay-tribute.html

Why you shouldn't have a pond:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4365151.stm

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 18-Oct-08 10:21:25

Poor boy and poor mum too. Imagine how guilty she must be feeling.

I leave my five year old home alone for ten mins at most while ai pop to the shop at the top of our street if she doesnt want to come with me. She knows if there is a fire to leave the house and come to the shop (there would be no roads to cross) and she knows not to touch anything.

PumpkinPatty Sat 18-Oct-08 10:24:47

You aren't going to be arrested for neglect by going out in a car though are you?
Or for having a pond hmm

BandofMothers Sat 18-Oct-08 10:25:09

Eeeek, we have a pond that DH promised he would cover with that stuff kids can walk on and not fall thru before we moved in. We have been here now for nearly 3 nths and he still hasn't done it, it really freaks me out.

glitterball Sat 18-Oct-08 10:27:14

i read another report of this story which said he was found in a locked room shock

poor boy. hope he is ok.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 18-Oct-08 10:27:49

I think the point she was making is accidents can happen anywhere at anytime regardless of wether you are with your children. and you could get arrested for neglect if you knowingly allowed your non swimming toddler to play unsupervised near pond.

HRHSaintMamazon Sat 18-Oct-08 10:32:04

Scrletlilybug - whilsti see the point thatyou are trying to make, that accidents can happen at any time or place. But as a parent it is your job and sole responsibility to limit the risk of an accident occuring with your child.

By leaving a child unattended is grounds for neglect charges to be drawn.
Whilst there is no legal guidance (which ffs i wish there was) it would be deemed inapropriate for a 3 year old to be left in a house alone at night.

2shoesdrippingwithblood Sat 18-Oct-08 10:39:05

HRH does it depend on your social standing though?
or are docters immune from negleg charges?

HRHSaintMamazon Sat 18-Oct-08 10:40:57

I share your feelings on that.
It would seem that according to british law if yoru a single mum in Butlins, the child is at risk. if your a Gp in some swanky resort but choose not to use the childminding facility then thats ok. hmm but thats a whole other flaming debate

2shoesdrippingwithblood Sat 18-Oct-08 10:43:45

I knew you would get it

BandofMothers Sat 18-Oct-08 10:56:26

i'm pretty sure the death or disappearance of your child is going to teach a better lesson than being arrested for neglect, no matter who you are or what your status is.

interstella71 Sat 18-Oct-08 11:01:14

Ponds are one of my big worries. I treated a boy (18 month old) who was resuscitated after drowning in his grandmothers pond. He sustained severe brain damage from the lack of oxygen and from the fungal growths in his brain (as a result of the pond water). He had just slipped out of her sight for a second.
Ponds are never suitable around children.

blinks Sat 18-Oct-08 11:02:39

SheSells- why would you leave your DC? I can't think of one good reason why you would take that risk.

aGalChangedHerName Sat 18-Oct-08 11:03:48

You just wouldn't leave a 3 year old alone would you??

Can't imagine doing that ever sad

Poor little boy.

2shoesdrippingwithblood Sat 18-Oct-08 11:09:41

interstella71 spooky I was just about to post about a freind of dd's who this happened to.

solo Sat 18-Oct-08 11:10:14

BoM It's a lesson that shouldn't need teaching IMO. Common sense says that you don't leave a child/ren home alone or in a holiday apartment blah blah blah...

Heifer Sat 18-Oct-08 11:35:26

There have been numerious times that it would have been really handy to leave DD (4.5) alone for just 5 mins, ie when I have needed a lift home literally 3 mins away in the car late at night etc.

BUT I just wouldn't.. EVER.. for whatever reason....

Tis just common sense to me. Even though I know the changes are very very slim of anything going wrong. DD is asleep, she would be on her own for 5 mins, I am not willing to take that chance...

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Sat 18-Oct-08 11:49:23

agree with solo its common sense.there was a huge thread here a while ago asking if it was ok to leave child unattended .loads of people said was ok(loads disagreeed)-i just 'dont get it'.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 18-Oct-08 14:50:37

Ponds make me shudder. They can be so dangerous.

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 21-Oct-08 19:03:40

Poor little boy, imagine being left at home alone at that age - even at 7 or 8 I wouldnt leave a child alone in a house.

Glad he was ok and hopefully he will be kept safe in the future by social services.

uptomyeyes Tue 21-Oct-08 19:09:29

I think I'm a fairly emotionally robust person in general, but I lose sleep over drowning accidents - ponds and swimming pools.

Peachy Tue 21-Oct-08 19:15:22

Poor little boy sad

I'd never leave a child alone, or by a pond, or in a bath for that matter (friends Uncle died as a baby left in batha s she answered door)

You just don't do it.

YOu can't anticipate everything but you can do your best and some accidents are far easier to rpedict than others.

We had the older 2 as toddlers near a canal and they were taught to swim; we cannot even get ds3 into water and I don't like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now