Talk

Advanced search

Financial titans and moral pygmies

(3 Posts)
Gustave Sat 11-Oct-08 09:37:22

Is anyone else struck by how useless, in the current crisis, the bankers seem to be at defending themselves/fighting their corner in the media?

A number of people have observed that NOT ONE senior figure from the financial world has breathed a single word of regret or remorse about recent events.

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that they simply don't see why they would need to - because they don't think they have any responsibility to anyone or any thing.

I also think they have cauterised the part of their brain which allows most of us to distinguish between right and wrong. I heard a senior fund manager recently being asked on the radio whether he thought the City had done anything immoral. The question simply did not compute. He just kept robotically repeating that most people in the City hadn't done anything illegal. He clearly couldn't engage with the question, which had obviously never occurred to him.

They want to be careful. The French Revolution was in part caused by a credit crisis. And I can hear the tumbrils approaching...

needmorecoffee Sat 11-Oct-08 09:43:12

long as they got their yatchs and mansions they don't give a crap. Its wasn't their money.

needmorecoffee Sat 11-Oct-08 10:18:59

long as they got their yatchs and mansions they don't give a crap. Its wasn't their money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: