Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hands up who's cynical about Gordy's new aid package for the banks?

(103 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:45:07

here

Not so much that it won't do the trick, but that he's so far been woefully incompetent when it comes to helping Joe & Josephina Bloggs, but now that the banks are in trouble it's a different story?

Ohhhh, I think I'm probably rehashing an old thread from a couple of weeks ago. Age is clearly wearing my brain down to nowt.

Piffle Tue 07-Oct-08 22:49:02

it's only nationalising a portion to protect investors and industry.
Too early to be cynical as exact details are still unknown

NoBiggy Tue 07-Oct-08 22:49:31

The thing that gets me, it's like offering more and more delectable titbits before a very demanding and capricious child. If the markets decide they like it, there will be much rejoicing (for half a day or so), if not, they'll all get into a flap and everyone's money disappears into space or something.

TheCrackFox Tue 07-Oct-08 22:50:28

They just seem to be throwing cash around. Might have been nice to ask us first before spending our great-grand-childrens' future earnings.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:50:37

Oh, Piffle! Don't be so intelligent. I want to be cynical, and I will stamp my feet until I have my way! (sound like a 'market' somewhere near you?)

LadyMuck Tue 07-Oct-08 22:50:41

Well looking at the US markets today I'm not sure that £50bn is going to do it.

Quattrocento Tue 07-Oct-08 22:54:13

Agree with LM. £50bn of preferred convertible loan stock ain't gonna do it.

And besides funding, what the whole effing industry needs is some better bleeding REGULATION. <quat mounts her weary hobby horse>

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 22:55:11

Aren't city boys just chavs in more expensive suits?

LadyMuck Tue 07-Oct-08 22:56:16

They were in the 80s, but nowadays quite a few are geeky mathematicians.

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 22:58:16

I see, so, we pay the banks via interest, charges etc, the banks blow all of the money and we are expected to pay them more money though our taxes! Right! hmm I wonder how much the chairmen's bonuses will be this year.

Tinker Tue 07-Oct-08 22:59:04

The Nordic model blah blah blah banks turned around in 2 years <she says, repeating knowledgeably what she's just heard on Newsnight>

AuraofDora Tue 07-Oct-08 22:59:07

lolorama its only nationalising a portion..piffle!

these are the guys who sang the praises of the free market (and of course reaped the receipts of it too)!
and never felt the need to regulate, who allowed short selling and had in place a toothless fsa

it feels like good money after bad,
teh confidence in the system has gone and no matter how much money is fed into it now, its no guarantee that banks will lend to us, or each other

its ultimately scary times, hang on to your hat folks......

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 23:00:54

Is there an off-shore account somewhere that's safe to deposit my £12.92 in savings? I don't want to be caught short when the shit hits the fan!

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 23:02:10

I'd put it under your matress if I were you. This is the safest place at the moment. grin

LadyMuck Tue 07-Oct-08 23:02:39

I hear that some Icelandic banks are offering amazing interest rates...

AuraofDora Tue 07-Oct-08 23:06:06

leave the chavs alone! they are harmless in comparison!!

they dont get to gamble with your everyones future like these city types have done...

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 23:09:32

Actually Aura, some of my best friends are chavs.

daffodill6 Tue 07-Oct-08 23:09:49

End result.... The Darling's got to pay for it somehow... either higher taxes or less public spending. So guess whos going to get higher inocome tax, vat etc AND higher council tax!!!!

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 23:11:24

Not the chairmen then?

noddyholder Tue 07-Oct-08 23:16:05

It will do nothing for Mr Average who wants a mortgage etc.And while they are talking about reducing interest rates to pacify everyone surely they will have to raise them and taxes to pay for this fiasco.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 23:19:58

I think all the chairmen should be sacked and replaced with the longest standing members of MN. They may not know anything about how to run a bank successfully...but then look how good a job their predecessors have done!

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 23:22:34

I would shut them all down, the government should take the money and set up their own, national bank. The houses that are currently being repossessed can be rented out as social housing. The chairmen and senior staff who thought they were going to make a packet out of vulnerable people shouldn't get a penny.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 23:24:35

Can we have a guillotine or something for the heads of the banks?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Not usually witty this late at night!

avenanap Tue 07-Oct-08 23:27:36

PMSL! grin They chop the hands of thief's in Saudi Arabia.

MrsThierryHenry Tue 07-Oct-08 23:30:21

That's it! Gordy's 'care package' for banks:

- £50bn smackerooneys of hard-earned taxpayers dosh
- public lashing of heads of banks and senior staff (1 lash for every billion as above) (okay, we didn't strictly agree this but I think you'll find it's the right thing to do)
- chopping off their thieving little hands, followed by
- beheading, French-style

I like it. A lot. Reckon the voting public will be placated?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now