Talk

Advanced search

the killer of philip lawrence....staged release...daily mail is going to hound him...does he deserve the chance of rehabilitation here or should he

(50 Posts)
zippitippitoes Sat 04-Oct-08 07:39:31

.......have been deported

a terrible crime

his probation team believe he is a reformed character

he has served his sentence

daily mail picture story

Piffle Sat 04-Oct-08 07:42:47

deeply complex issue
My gut instinct is towards mr lawrences family
He is being released too soon and should be deported after serving a lengthier sentence.
I'm a softy liberal generally though

fedupandisolated Sat 04-Oct-08 07:44:07

I hate dilemmas like this.
Yes everyone deserves a second chance BUT if I were a member of Philip Lawrences family I'd be saying "...but Philip Lawrence didn't get a second chance"

At the end of the day - this person has served his sentence and his probation team have faith in him.

Lets hope he goes on to live a worthwhile life doing good for others. That would be a credit to our justice system.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 04-Oct-08 07:44:10

I think he has had too much freedom already and should stay in prison.

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 04-Oct-08 07:45:50

Regardless of the situation, the thought that it should ever be the position of The Daily Mail to decide what happens to anyone is quite frightening.

I think that it is likely he has not served a long enough sentence, but my opinion is irrelevant, he has served his sentence according to the rules and laws of this country and so he is freed. We can't just go around deciding that some people don't deserve to be out based on a paper can we?

After all, this is simply a publicised case. There are plenty of others that did not make the news.

Nemoandthefishes Sat 04-Oct-08 07:46:23

ITs hard isnt it but he was only a kid and 13yrs on surely he should be given a chance.If I was held accountable for the stupid stuff I did at 15 compared to now when I am 30 I would be very sad as I was a very different person

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 04-Oct-08 07:47:09

Murder can hardly be described as stupid.

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 07:47:54

I agree with Piffle. I'm really torn on this. I believe in rehabilitation and that the point of prison is that you serve your time and then you are done. But I can completely see how the fact that his deportation was overturned on the grounds of a breach of his family rights must really antagonise Lawrence's family.

I think murderers should be deported. I think if you do that, you lose your right to staying in the UK really.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 04-Oct-08 07:52:18

Why should we pay for him to be protected and get a new identity?

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 04-Oct-08 08:01:56

Now, I don't think we should pay for him to have a new identity, or to be protected. I think that he should have to live with what he has done. I think that if you want to experience the benefits of society (including police protection) then you need to live within the rules of that society.

But, this hounding by the press really doesn't help. It doesn't help anyone, certainly not the family of the victim.

differentWitch Sat 04-Oct-08 08:07:40

I think he should have been deported. If a brit commits a serious crime, they get sent back here.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 04-Oct-08 08:15:51

That;s because other countries have back bones.

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 04-Oct-08 08:22:02

Is he a British citizen?

LittleBella Sat 04-Oct-08 08:38:27

FGS he wasn't deported because he was brought to Britain when he was a baby and was brought up here. He is a product of our country, not of the one for which he holds a passport. He's about as Italian as I am.

saint2shoes Sat 04-Oct-08 08:54:27

well I can't help but think of the children who lost their daddy

FAQ Sat 04-Oct-08 09:04:41

Very complex issue.

I generally agree with criminals being deported - but as LB said he's as Italian as I am. Or as British as several Zimbabwean I knew - who had a British passport due to the fact that their parents (or even grandparents) were British, most of them have never been to the UK at all!

He's served his term,, and, if as claimed, he is now a reformed character (he wouldn't be the first ex-gang member to "make good" his life" then he should be given a chance to do it.

but then I think of Lawrence's family and what they've been through and how Lawrence wasn't given another chance.

Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 09:15:46

2nd chance....NO
Deported....NO
Hung.....bloody hell YES.

I hope every moment of his life is made a living hell by the press or who ever and he lives it in fear.... He is vermin

unknownrebelbang Sat 04-Oct-08 09:56:24

I believe life should mean life when it's murder, 15 or not.

Having said that, the law as it stands means he is to be released and he should be allowed to live his life within the restrictions of his (hopefully stringent licence) and be recalled for any infringement.

Deportation - I'm torn on this issue. No he's no more Italian than I am, but other countries would have no qualms in sending him back to England if the situation was reversed.

And surely he's a product of his parents as much as our country?

edam Sat 04-Oct-08 10:02:00

Australia sent us back a murderer who had emigrated as a baby. Who has just been sentenced for another murder (noticed because it was in Camden, where I've been working).

Don't see why we can't do the same. I support the Human Rights Act in general but not when it's used for daft decisions like this.

Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 10:05:28

Britain did not make him a killer, nor Italy, nor his parents for that matter. He is evil and he chose to kill a decent hard working man who was trying to protect someone else.
I would put the rope round his neck, open the trap door and sleep well in by bed without a bit of remorse for doing so.

He gave up any rights to a life when he took someone else's, and yes if he was my son I would still feel he should be hung

hippipotami Sat 04-Oct-08 10:09:26

He should go back to Italy. He has no right to a 'family life' because he destroyed Philip Lawrence's family life.
An eye for an eye if you will.

I detest the way criminals in this country have so many rights. It is so wrong!

By the way, did anyone else shudder at that picture of him with the naked torso, one hand at his breast the other with a finger by the corner of his mouth? It truly made my stomach turn [shudder]

cupsoftea Sat 04-Oct-08 10:11:00

people in danger sent back but criminals helped out - sums it up really.

Kimi Sat 04-Oct-08 10:15:38

A friend of a friends wife has just been sent back to India as her visa ran out, they have only been married 8 months and have a baby who is under a year and has had mummy vanish, it is taking an age to sort out and seems so unfair, she did not kill anyone just did not do the right paper work.

WendyWeber Sat 04-Oct-08 10:27:49

"In February, Chindamo's father Giuseppe was sentenced in Spain to a 25-year jail term for murdering a former girlfriend" "Due to his father's previous violence towards Mr Chindamo's mother he has now chosen not to respond to his father's contact."

With a background like that he didn't have much chance of turning out a nice gentle boy, did he?

Does he have family in Italy?

Lauriefairycake Sat 04-Oct-08 10:32:25

He should not be deported, he is a product of our society.

He has served his sentence and should be allowed to be protected if he is hounded as should any member of the public.

I also hope he goes on to live a worthwhile life.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: