Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'****ing hell, why can't women give birth naturally?

(39 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 25-Sep-08 09:19:08

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1061109/-ing-hell-women-birth-naturally--caesarean-doctors-outburst -mother-labour.html

What a twat.

LaVie Thu 25-Sep-08 09:28:16

What a dick. When he's had to endure labour then he can have an opinion. angry

southeastastra Thu 25-Sep-08 09:28:53

sounds like he was having a bad day, he's only human i guess

Szyslak Thu 25-Sep-08 09:29:10

He didn't seem to actually apologise did he?

I can see how under presure in a moment of temper and frustatrion someting unprofessional can be said.

But it should immediately be acknowledged as unprfessional, an apology made,and monotiroing of that Doc folows to ensure it is not general bad practise and just a one off out of charcter mistake.

RubySlippers Thu 25-Sep-08 09:29:13

knob

and no action taken against him hmm

AnarchyAunt Thu 25-Sep-08 09:31:04

Maybe its partly due to the attitude of some medical staff not being exactly conducive?

WilfSell Thu 25-Sep-08 09:31:26

One answer to his idiotic fucking question might be: 'because we spend most of our labours surrounded by dickheads like you shouting crap and stopping us in our tracks when all we want is enough properly funded, one-to-one care from midwives who know what they're doing, a private room in the dark and not to be meddled with by pompous medics with itchy surgery fingers'.

wasabipeanut Thu 25-Sep-08 09:32:09

I think more of an apology and acknowledgement of how hurtful his comments were might have been appropiate.

stitch Thu 25-Sep-08 09:33:54

fgs
he has apologised for making a comment to the doctor whilst stressd out. the fact that the patient was there is unfortunate. he has apologiesed.
perhaps we should tar and feather him anyways? how dare he be a man? working in a 'womans department?'
but it is the daily mail. enough said

AnarchyAunt Thu 25-Sep-08 09:34:29

WilfSell - he should read that answer grin

AnarchyAunt Thu 25-Sep-08 09:36:25

Stitch - its symptomatic of an attitude towards the women in his care.

A crappy attitude that is hardly going to help them and make them feel safe, relaxed, and able to birth.

TheCrackFox Thu 25-Sep-08 09:52:12

Stitch - I would like to see him tarred and feathered. Everybody has shit days at work but most people are professional enough to keep it to themselves.

watsthestory Thu 25-Sep-08 09:54:10

Message withdrawn

policywonk Thu 25-Sep-08 09:57:45

Agree with Anarchy - anyone can have an outburst, but the particular nature of this outburst (and the fact that it was directed at the labouring woman, not at the other medics) suggests that this is a man who ought to think twice about working in obs/gynae.

hughjarssss Thu 25-Sep-08 10:01:30

What a complete and utter bastard.

That poor lady, I would have been devasted if that had been said to me when I was told I had to have a c-section.

He shuld have been done for misconduct

FAQ Thu 25-Sep-08 10:02:50

hmm I don't know - I do wonder who the "woman" who saw the outbursts was.....

He has admitted it was a mistake (regardless of who the comment was actually directed at) - and having felt forced into a CS with DS1 (which in hindsight was TOTALLY unnecessary) I do sort of agree that the number of women who are offered a CS that isn't needed is too high in some places.

I begged and screamed for a CS while in labour with DS2 - I didn't get - and I'm mightily glad I did't, however had that been the hospital where I had DS1 I suspect I would have been given the consent for immediately....

policywonk Thu 25-Sep-08 10:03:05

Yes, he's got off really bloody lightly.

hughjarssss Thu 25-Sep-08 10:04:35

Stitch - I am insulted by his comments because I am a woman who was told she needed a c -section after many hours of lsbour. I cannot iagine being spoken to like that when I was exhausted and in complete agony.

Its nothing to do with being a daily mail reader .. which I am SO not

FAQ Thu 25-Sep-08 10:04:52

Well she proved him wrong anyhow didn't she - as she gave birth naturally 2hrs later.

hughjarssss Thu 25-Sep-08 10:06:45

Thats ok then FAQ hmm

hughjarssss Thu 25-Sep-08 10:06:46

Thats ok then FAQ hmm

watsthestory Thu 25-Sep-08 10:08:16

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Thu 25-Sep-08 10:10:23

Message withdrawn

mayorquimby Thu 25-Sep-08 10:15:45

in fairness he swore about a facet of his job when he was having a bad day. unfortunately his job is in the hospital dealing with vulnerable patients so as usual if anything gets over-heard people go in over-sensitive mode added to here by the fact that he is a man commenting on child birth.
when the reality is that people who work in hospitals pretty much distance themselves from their work in an emotional sense as a coping mechanism so that they can function like the rest of us in our working lives.
the difference being that if a doctor is accidentally over-heard joking about death/patients they are painted as monsters where as for the rest of us joking/complaining about our jobs is a victimless crime.

PuzzleRocks Thu 25-Sep-08 10:15:56

It's a sentiment I have felt myself at times especially when hearing about a woman who elected for a caesarean rather as she was told her baby would be approximately 7 pounds. Wow, huge!
But in this context it was totally unacceptable. How dare he speak to a labouring woman like that. She had been in labour for 3 days fgs. He comes across as a misogynistic wanker. But, Stitch, I don't think his sex really matters, it would be just as offensive coming from a woman, if not more so. I hope he has learned something from the experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now