Talk

Advanced search

Catholic school refusing cancer vaccine

(28 Posts)
tonton Wed 24-Sep-08 15:48:53

school refusing cancer vaccine

even though Catholic church ahs said that it's OK. DD1 is at a catholic primary and we may send her to an RC secondary. Stories like this make me hesitate though. What if her schol turned out to be (in my opinion) a bit batty like this?

mayorquimby Wed 24-Sep-08 16:01:05

that's fair enough. there doesn't seem to be anything religious based in their decisions to not allow it.just that those who have had it have suffered from side effects so they won't be administering it on school premisises but there's nothing to stop any student receiving the injections outside of school.
i don't see what this thread has to do with religion, or have i missed something?

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 16:03:02

agree with MQ

edam Wed 24-Sep-08 16:12:46

They say it's to do with side-effects but I wonder whether that's actually an excuse.

tonton Wed 24-Sep-08 16:26:18

Because it's a catholic school so I assume it's more to do with their views on morality than safety which also sounds like an excuse to me edam.

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 16:30:32

It is a state school so under the auspices of the LEA presumably. They should make the decision not the nutters religious leaders

clarinsgirl Wed 24-Sep-08 16:40:10

Side effects argument is nonsense. This vaccine has undergone full medical trials and for the school to suggest that its anecdotal evidence should over-ride this is ridiculous.

The article refers to 'school not appropriate place' - sounds like this has more to do with someone's misplaced religious objection than any legitimate safety concerns.

Kevlarhead Thu 25-Sep-08 20:50:32

Daily Mash - CATHOLIC SCHOOL TO FIGHT ALL CANCERS ABOVE THE WAIST

A spokesman said: "Jesus told us that some killer diseases are better than others.

He added: "If one of our girls does contract the forbidden cancer she will be remembered in our prayers as a pox-ridden little tart with no-one to blame but herself."

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 25-Sep-08 20:53:08

They said that the injectino promotes sexual promiscurity.

CJMommy Thu 25-Sep-08 21:00:39

There can be side effects with any vaccine.

Just another case of religious views coming before health concerns - but this is purely my personal opinion.
The HCP's giving the vaccine are fully equpped with the knowledge to deal with any side-effects. If it saves a life or prevents Cancer........However, I acknowledge that it is easy for me to say that as I don't personally give religion the time of day with regard to potential or actual life-affecting decisions.

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 09:43:00

"They said that the injectino promotes sexual promiscurity. "

where did they say that?

all it says in the article in the op is that the catholic church have no objections to the vaccine but that this particular school have decided not to have it done on school grounds. there is nothing to stop people getting the vaccine off of school grounds.

Bridie3 Fri 26-Sep-08 09:51:08

This is NOT official Catholic policy, just ONE school taking a bizarre and silly view.

Simplysally Fri 26-Sep-08 09:53:47

It won't stop pupils from being vaccinated outside of school though will it? Perhaps they don't want the hassle of organising it all as much as anything.

FWIW, when I had my Rubella injection (I am that old!!) we were taken to the nearest health clinic to have it done so it wasn't on school premises anyway. Albeit the clinic was just over the road!

Fennel Fri 26-Sep-08 10:59:40

I never thought I'd be sticking up for a Catholic school but I'm not keen on the vaccine for 12 year old girls either. And I have no problem with sex outside marriage (am not at all keen on marriage). But I'm really uncomfortable with the assumption that all 12yo girls should be given a vaccine (which I'm not convinced is totally safe and as effective) that assumes when these children (still children at 12 imo) might become sexually active.

I think it's up to the teenage girls themselves - I have 3 dds, all younger than this, but I'm likely to opt them out of that and leave it to them to decide if/when they want it. same with contraception. To me it's not a choice the parents should be making for the girls.

littlelapin Fri 26-Sep-08 11:01:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrNortherner Fri 26-Sep-08 11:01:59

I think they are barking mad to refuse the vaccine.

I understand it that teh vaccine does not work once a girl becomes sexualy active so to give it at 12 they hopefully catch most of them as virgins. Doesn't mean they will then go off and start having sex does it?

RubyRioja Fri 26-Sep-08 11:02:35

School completely nutzoid.
Surely precedent set with rubella vaccine at 11 or whenever. i think it conflicts which church viewpoint too.

Assuming a girl is a 'good' catholic and married her virgin boyfriend and has children, she will need protection too.

Charlee Fri 26-Sep-08 11:05:29

How rediculous! Just because a girl gets a vaccine to prevent her from getting a potentialy killer disease doesn't mean she will automaticaly go out and start having sex!

School teach sex ed to children to 'protect' them from STD's and unwanted pregnancys but children do do a lesson than go 'oh its now ok for me to have sex' do they?

If its going to prevent these girls getting crvical cancer and possibly not surviving surley it can only be a good thing!

I wish they had invented it when i was 12!

bossykate Fri 26-Sep-08 11:09:24

<<big gusty sigh>>

"Advice from the Roman Catholic Church says there is nothing wrong with allowing the cervical cancer vaccinations to be given."

"A spokesman for the Diocese of Salford said: "The diocese and Catholic schools board do not have a moral objection, but it is up to individual schools to decide whether to allow the vaccinations to be carried out in school.""

Did you not read these bits of the story?

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 11:13:24

"Did you not read these bits of the story? "

nah why bother. it would get in the way of people putting across their strongly formed opinions on why the church is evil and mysoginistic.
i mean why bother with logic when you've got vitriol on your side.

bossykate Fri 26-Sep-08 11:15:13

there's a lot of nasty anti-catholic bigotry around.

PortAndLemon Fri 26-Sep-08 11:15:23

Sigh.

Their students participated in the trial of the vaccine (so pretty obvious they don't have moral objections, then). Their stance is based on the high rate of (painful but not serious) side-effects encountered by the girls who participated in the trial.

But by all means write the decision off as nutty, ridiculous and barking mad.

littlelapin Fri 26-Sep-08 11:19:11

littlelapin Fri 26-Sep-08 11:20:17

mayorquimby Fri 26-Sep-08 11:34:15

some quotes from the governer and parish priest/religious nutter who wants all teenage girls to die from cerivical cancer rather than have sex - mosignor John Allen

"This is not a moral judgment on the vaccination", he said.
"It's a question of where this vaccination should be given and how it should be given."

a number of our girls were either absent from school the day following their vaccination or had to be sent home from school suffering from dizziness, nausea, joint pain, headaches or high temperature."

The governors state they believe that parents "will want to conduct their own research into this vaccination" and accompany their daughter to each of the three appointments to "offer support and assistance should she suffer any side effects".

This matter is primarily a public health issue, not a school issue. That's the reason we came to the decision as governors.
"We're saying it's such an important issue that parents should make that decision in consultation with their family doctor. The school is not to be used for this."

i mean ffs, did you see all the logic and common sense he used. What a fucking nutjob. i mean obviously the church is bad and stuff yeah?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now