Talk

Advanced search

Look out, another "reality check time" article...

(25 Posts)
UnquietDad Mon 22-Sep-08 16:00:45

Rachel Johnson thinks that last week was "like 9/11".

hmm

here

She is the woman, you may recall, who loudly bemoaned, at the birth of the credit crunch last year, that "art" was becoming so expensive.

My "first against the wall" list just got longer.

And how does her gun have a mobile? I'm picturing some space-age variety with a phone keypad built into the barrel.

TheNaughtiestGirlKeepsaSecret Mon 22-Sep-08 16:03:06

Ha ha that's hilarious. She felt the pinch when she couldn't afford more art?!?!?!

mumblechum Mon 22-Sep-08 16:03:48

I don't think that's entirely fair, UQD. I skimmed her article yesterday and got the impression that she's a bit of a fish out of water among her neighbours, ie that she lives in a modest terraced house which she bought 30 years ago, and isn't in the same league as her well off friends.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 22-Sep-08 16:04:40

With a title like "Life gets tough-ish in Notting Hill" I'm not sure I can bring myself to read it.

TheNaughtiestGirlKeepsaSecret Mon 22-Sep-08 16:05:04

That article was too boring to read, a bit like her book really. She was not the first woman to have children. I was grin so it's been done to death.

UnquietDad Mon 22-Sep-08 16:05:31

Yeah, but there is modest and there's "modest".

UnquietDad Mon 22-Sep-08 16:06:04

And can someone please explain how her gun has a mobile?!

TheNaughtiestGirlKeepsaSecret Mon 22-Sep-08 16:06:06

But isn't she the woman that moved to a beautiful house in the country and went a bit mad and then wrote about it and drove anybody who got beyond page 15 quite mad as well??

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 22-Sep-08 16:07:45

Oh I gave up half way through. But I think her 'gun' is a person.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 22-Sep-08 16:09:31

I've just read a book that had a bit about shooting and it sounds as if she is accompanying her 'gun'. Ie the person doing the shooting. I think from reading on her gun is a hedge fund manager.

LittleBella Mon 22-Sep-08 16:11:40

She's a really terrible writer. I tried, really I did, but I just couldn't get beyond the fifth paragraph. It just went on and on and it's just boring...

UnquietDad Mon 22-Sep-08 16:12:35

Oh, I seeeeeeeeee. "Gun" as in person carrying the gun.

What a wankstress.

mumblechum Mon 22-Sep-08 17:34:37

<<adds "wankstress" to words I must slip into conversation this week>> grin

onceinalifetime Mon 22-Sep-08 17:38:23

Do you realise she's Boris's sister?

SaintRiven Mon 22-Sep-08 17:41:19

get me a bucket.

hippipotami Mon 22-Sep-08 17:42:17

Could not finish the article, got lost at tennis-playing-extension-building-lady. Sorry, but her writing style is just dull as ditch-water.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 22-Sep-08 18:00:08

Didn't believe a word of it - I could easily make up a load of tosh like that - who listens to antoher conversation on the TENNIS COURT - and how could you hear anyway???? rubbish - I'm surrpised the OP bothers to give it a wider airing ...?

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 22-Sep-08 18:02:39

she is a cunt of the highest order

ForeverOptimistic Mon 22-Sep-08 18:22:46

Yes I am sure her modest terrace is not like my modest terrace. I have seen modest terraces on sale for 20 million in Notting Hill hmm. I kept glazing over reading the article too.

TheCrackFox Mon 22-Sep-08 18:28:25

Sorry, couldn't finish reading the article. It was beyond dull.

spicemonster Mon 22-Sep-08 18:30:15

Well given she's about my age (40s) I very much doubt she bought her house 30 years ago. And if she bought it before the bankers rolled into NH, she's probably made about 1/2 a mill on it so I'm sure she's feeling jolly pleased with herself that she's got old money rather than all these common nouveau-riche americans.

Vile woman

SaintGeorge Mon 22-Sep-08 18:33:23

3.5 beds, semi detached.

Not like any 'terrace' I know.

Gave up reading at that point.

UnquietDad Mon 22-Sep-08 22:59:01

Or is it wankress?

Bramshott Tue 23-Sep-08 10:55:18

Oh Lord, if I read one more tongue-in-cheek article with rejoicing undertones about the "poor bankers wives" who won't be able to afford their beauty treatments etc (there was a very similar one in the Evening Standard on Friday) I will scream!! People are losing their jobs, and yes, some people losing their jobs have wives who don't work, and who probably have a very nice lifestyle, but that's not their fault FFS! It's the tone of the articles I can't stand, you can imagine the face of the writer, rubbing their hands together in glee at the bringing down, not of the bankers, who have after all got us into this mess in the first place, but of their wives who have had the temerity to have their hair cut and coloured on a weekly basis!

Rant over! <<disclaimer - I am not a banker, or a banker's wife, neither do I know any banker's socially except the ladies behind the counter in my local Lloyds, and somehow I don't think they're the ones the articles are about!>>

WideWebWitch Tue 23-Sep-08 11:11:09

Oh ffs, def against the wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now