Talk

Advanced search

This can't be real, can it?

(58 Posts)
mypandasgotcrabs Sat 20-Sep-08 09:28:58

Japanese train

How do people not die on these things? Surely people must be hospitalised daily for suffocation or crushing? I really am stunned by this.

2cats2many Sat 20-Sep-08 09:31:23

Mad!

undercovercat Sat 20-Sep-08 09:33:07

shock

sarah293 Sat 20-Sep-08 09:33:37

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sat 20-Sep-08 09:34:09

Message withdrawn

Bumperlicious Sat 20-Sep-08 09:34:21

OMFG!

OooWowOooArr Sat 20-Sep-08 09:38:00

I lived there. You get to work very fast, very uncomfortable and I got groped in most areas on many occassions.

But the bullet train to Kyoto is the best!

Suicides are dealt with in the most efficient freaky (they pull a huge curtain up) way. Loved it there though.

psychomum5 Sat 20-Sep-08 09:38:49

I am completely stunned!!!

shock

NotDoingTheHousework Sat 20-Sep-08 09:40:19

Message withdrawn

LaDiDaDi Sat 20-Sep-08 09:41:19

shock.

drbread Sat 20-Sep-08 09:42:14

surely they could of squeezed that girl on?

sadandscared Sat 20-Sep-08 09:54:53

Oh my god. I freak out on the tube in London - I think I would be in a mental hospital if I was made to do that. <shudder>
How do you get off again though?

warthog Sat 20-Sep-08 09:58:30

sadly true

WinkyWinkola Sat 20-Sep-08 10:03:01

I lived in Tokyo for three years. It can get pretty bad on the trains in rush hour but you just tend to accept it and get on with it.

It's a real battle to get off. People have to get off even when it's not their stop to let you off and there's a real anxiety they won't get back on again in time for work.

In summer, it's hell and people do pass out regularly because of the sheer heat never mind the close quarters.

FlightAttendent Sat 20-Sep-08 10:05:28

I guess they just open the doors and everyone falls out on top of each other!!

Very Edward Lear isn't it...

The time it takes getting everyone on you would think they would just add a few more carriages and save on the delays iyswim. Or are they all clinically insane?

lanismum Sat 20-Sep-08 10:08:46

Sweet Jesus, can you imagine being pregnant and having to commute? There is no way on earth I would ever get on a train in Japan, even watching the video has made me feel odd shock

DisenchantedPlusBump Sat 20-Sep-08 10:09:47

Imagine if you were pregnant! or disabled you would have no chance.

Im claustraphobic so wouldn't go near it!

FlightAttendent Sat 20-Sep-08 10:15:13

It makes me wonder what other cultural aspects I would find intolerable about the place iyswim...I mean if they think that is Ok, what else do they think is Ok? hmm

Are animals treated very badly for instance - I know we have factory farms here but is it worse there? I just can't get my head round that video. It makes no sense.

DisenchantedPlusBump Sat 20-Sep-08 10:20:24

I'd have to tell them to F-off if they were pushing melike that!

katiepotatie Sat 20-Sep-08 10:26:51

shock you're buggered if you want off the next stop though

Jajas Sat 20-Sep-08 10:42:57

Oh my god that's absolutely horrible, tell me it's not real shock! I would panic so much I think I would expire, what an awful way to live.

sakurarose39 Sat 20-Sep-08 10:48:41

Like WinkyWinkola said, you kind of get used to it....it is just there are soooo many people living in such small area. Japan is a bit bigger, area-wise than the UK, but it has a huge range of mountains down the centre of the country, so land to acutally build housing on is severely limited. Tokyo is located on a flat plain, so that is why it is so crowded. I commuted into Tokyo until I was 7 months pregnant, but live quite a way out of the city, so could usually get a seat. They are crap at giving up their seats - even if you stand right in front of the priority seats.
they also have women-only carriages now.
You can also avoid the very crowded rapid service trains, and get a slower one. Also, the trains come so regularly and so frequently, even if you don't manage to get on one, there is always another one a couple of minutes later.
Flightattendent - they are getting better with regards to animal welfare, but factory farms are the same the world over, probably. there is very little free range here....can't get free range eggs, for example.

WinkyWinkola Sat 20-Sep-08 11:10:12

Hi Sakura, I was wondering where you were. How are you doing? Things better on the home front?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Sep-08 11:32:01

shock
not a place to wear a rucksack then! could you imagine your poor sandwiches after going through that!

PeaMcLean Sat 20-Sep-08 11:38:25

I'm stunned too.

I don't understand how pushing helps. Surely you can squeeze up to the next person as much as you like but you can't actually be pushed to be made any smaller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now