Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Royal Bank of Scotland in trouble

(51 Posts)
flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:43:56

here.
Iv read somewhere else that RBS are in serious trouble. Cant find it now though. If they go down, what would happen to peoples money? And peoples debts with them?

twinsetandpearls Mon 15-Sep-08 14:44:43

Do the RBS not have links with Natwest as well?

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:45:09

So this would include NatWest wouldnt it? As RBS own tem dont they?

Snaf Mon 15-Sep-08 14:45:58

Yep, RBS own NatWest. I am screwed if they go down.

It is difficult not to panic right now, isn't it?

ruddynorah Mon 15-Sep-08 14:47:04

rbs includes LOADS of things, natwest, direct line, lombard, churchill, green flag..

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:47:31

X posts!
Me and dp are with both of them! AND HSBC that are mentioned at the bottom of the article, along with a couple of others.

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:48:19

Direct Line?? OMG! Finger in every pie and all that!

twinsetandpearls Mon 15-Sep-08 14:48:24

My current account is with natwest and also have a loan with them.

We have had a few money problems lately which has meant my going overdrawn and I noticed that they were very tough with me whereas in the past they have just said you wanted to pay this and didn't have the funds but we have cleared it please replace the funds.

policywonk Mon 15-Sep-08 14:48:38

All the pointy-headed types on the radio are saying that there's no way the government would let a savings bank go down (Lehmans being an investment bank) - it would be electoral suicide.

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:49:38

Is that why they saved Northern rock?

twinsetandpearls Mon 15-Sep-08 14:49:41

we are also with green flag.

Do we just do nothing? Do I arrange for wages to go into dp bank, Halifax.

Snaf Mon 15-Sep-08 14:50:16

I think that's probably true, pw. Let's hope so, anyway.

policywonk Mon 15-Sep-08 14:50:25

flub - yes, I think so

policywonk Mon 15-Sep-08 14:51:01

yes, fingers crossed everyone!

ruddynorah Mon 15-Sep-08 14:51:04

all these one is coutts...the queen's bank.

twinsetandpearls Mon 15-Sep-08 14:51:42

We did have savings with Natwest but used them all paying off debt, moving house and my medical bills.

policywonk Mon 15-Sep-08 14:52:11

If Coutts goes down we all have to go the Mall and commit hari-kiri. It's in the constitution.

MadameCastafiore Mon 15-Sep-08 14:52:49

I think the government might step in it being a UK lender with a huge mortgage portfolio - they only aren't with Lehmans because it is a US bank.

I would get all your cash out and stuff it under the mattress or buy wine - seems the only thing still increasing in value at the moment - we are shit loads poorer

DanJARMouse Mon 15-Sep-08 14:53:21

I dont think RBS are in as much trouble as is made out.

Personally they have A LOT of fingers in A LOT of pies, and it will just mean selling off some of the businesses.

I was working for Churchill when RBS took over, imo they made a farce of what was already a successful business, and subsequently I left.

You need to have a credit check to work for Churchill now, and all employees are "encouraged" to have an RBS bank account.

My best friend is still a Team Leader there, but we both know what is Churchill now, is a long long way from what churchill used to be.

I wouldnt worry too much at this stage. After all, everyone is tightening belts at the moment.

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:53:31

But they cant bail everyone out can they? Barclays and Lloyds are in trouble too.
Wouldnt they also have to bail out the bigger mortgage companies to keep people liking them?

mrspink27 Mon 15-Sep-08 14:54:27

Oh my goodness.... DH works for rbs, we were only talking about Lehman issue this morning... I was panicking about the fact that there is huge uncertainty and he said everything will be fine as long as I have a job.... I actually feel quite sick now.. and I want to talk to him but he is in a meeting. Although date of that article is August 8 so maybe not quite so bad?

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:55:07

Did RBS stop those awful Michael Winner adverts? Because, if they did, I aint complaining! grin

ruddynorah Mon 15-Sep-08 14:55:12

i used to work for natwest. dreadful. did their grad scheme.

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Sep-08 14:55:50

RBS?! Blimey, they are throwing money at us (well, they try).

Gobbledigook Mon 15-Sep-08 14:56:27

It's deffo stuff your cash into a matress time isn't it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now