Talk

Advanced search

3 year old girl sucked into drain

(47 Posts)
shinyshoes Mon 08-Sep-08 13:41:41

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7604252.stm

Jesus It dosen't bear thinking about does it, I've just watched the story on the 1,00pm news.

Awful, thankfully the girl is stable in hospital.

Dog is still missing though sad

Imnotok Mon 08-Sep-08 13:44:29

I have just seen this made me feel sick thank goodness she is ok ,and that the dog was such a quick thinker .

Megglevache Mon 08-Sep-08 13:46:23

the dog?

Imnotok Mon 08-Sep-08 13:47:19

The dog got sucked under too .

RubyRioja Mon 08-Sep-08 13:51:43

I think the Dad was the rescuer actually. Very shocking, but sounds as if she will be OK

Megglevache Mon 08-Sep-08 13:52:18

but why was the dog such a quick thinker <scratches head>

Amazing that she survived.

Imnotok Mon 08-Sep-08 13:53:39

Lol just seem my typo blush

DrNortherner Mon 08-Sep-08 13:54:00

OMG waht a freak accident that was. Thank God the Dad was able to save her.

tortoiseshell Mon 08-Sep-08 13:55:33

OMG - what a nightmare. I know that area really well - awful thing to happen. Thank God she is ok.

Makes me feel sick even thinking about it tbh.

kama Mon 08-Sep-08 14:05:05

Message withdrawn

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 08-Sep-08 14:08:07

how awfull! she is a very lucky girl. i have to say that i think i would have just stood screaming. it wouldnt even have occured to me where the drain would come out.

well done to the dad.

shinyshoes Mon 08-Sep-08 14:18:18

I was just thinking that Shesells, I would have screamed and panicked and not actually thought logically there was a way out.

Well done dad!!.

2shoes Mon 08-Sep-08 14:25:55

wow
thank god the dad acted quickly and poor dog

Mercy Mon 08-Sep-08 14:28:20

Bloody hell, what a close shave.

I would never thought how to rescue her either

Monkeytrousers Mon 08-Sep-08 14:29:59

oh my god.

I was just playing with ds in some really deep puddles yesterday. You never think the drains will become dislodged

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 08-Sep-08 20:39:50

shudder
I hate freak accidents like this.
Thank God her dad was such a quick thinker.

TwoIfBySea Mon 08-Sep-08 21:20:48

I saw this on the news and thought the same thing Seashells! He was so shaken by it but the fact he knew where to go. Pity the dog didn't get found but what a hero dad.

oeufflorentine Tue 09-Sep-08 10:18:09

Heard this on the news; must have been terrifying for the family. However it did cross my mind that taking two little girls and a dog out to play on a badly flooded open plain or field was reckless in the extreme. It was the same piece of open land where a giant inflatable left the ground and killed two people a year or two ago.

FioFio Tue 09-Sep-08 10:24:48

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Tue 09-Sep-08 10:27:29

So glad that this had a happy ending. And well done to dad on being such a qquick thinker.

OldBint Tue 09-Sep-08 10:30:09

Hmm, I think I would have judged a flooded open field as being fairly ok for my DCs with wellies and me there. I read in the paper they were travelling to/from relatives and stopped to have a break/stretch their legs/give the dog a run - the impression was it was a spur of the moment thing.

The father was fantastic. The key thing was to run to the drain outlet, not spend time fishing at the top end. When they showed it on the tc last night it looked a long way. I read in the paper this morning that he is in the RAF, and I wondered whether he was better equipped to make very quick decisions or something.

It was lovely to have a story with such a happy ending. The 2 girls looked delighted and the poor parents looked shattered.

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 10:32:19

this is near us and as oeuff said, where the inflatable flipped and killed 2 people last year.
A 3 year old survived that accident also- maybe someone is watching out for them.

We were at this park with dd last week and the puddles in the field where huge,and I commented to dp how bad the drainage is.

I think it was just a totally freak accident.
we have often let our dd paddle in big puddles with our dogs and would never think for a moment that they would get sucked under a drain.

Thank god she is ok.

FioFio Tue 09-Sep-08 10:32:20

Message withdrawn

Marina Tue 09-Sep-08 10:33:58

Do tell Fio
Am so impressed with the father's quick thinking on this, what a close shave for them all

morningpaper Tue 09-Sep-08 10:36:15

wow he is a massive hero isn't he?

if he was your husband you would be so PROUD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now