Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone see an article about under 4's and nurseries today

(10 Posts)
sammysam Sun 07-Sep-08 21:21:36

I only caught a bit of the bbc talking about it this morning-not sure which newspaper it was-maybe the telegraph.
Would really like to read it-searched the website but couldn't see it-can anyone help?

Olihan Sun 07-Sep-08 21:29:15

was it this one?

If not, do you know any more about it?

sammysam Sun 07-Sep-08 21:41:18

Thanks olihan-no it wasn't-i think it was about nurseries not providing good enough care and young children being much better off at home with one to one care. Unless i was still asleep when i 'heard' it?! grin

Olihan Sun 07-Sep-08 21:49:05

LOl, subconscious working mother's guilt!

Didn't come up with anything along those lines in the search, sorry smile.

cthea Mon 08-Sep-08 13:23:04

Perhaps this

solidgoldbrass Mon 08-Sep-08 13:27:40

What a load of old cock: not one mention of the possibility of men staying at home with their children, never mind the fact that there's actually something unnatural about locking women up with young children and turning them into domestic applicances: people used to just take their children along with them as they went about their business, not spend years fingerpainting and singing songs.

Monkeytrousers Mon 08-Sep-08 13:31:39

I was reading an interesting essay yesterday, this stood out,

"“Without question, capitalism has
ignored base-level costs that have not been factored in to costs: first, natural resources and ecosystem services; and second, domestic labor."

So basically, if it was free, they exploited it - with the result in mass extinctions, etc and the birth of feminism grin

Pendulum Mon 08-Sep-08 13:38:04

Last time I heard this stuff, it was under 3-s (Biddulph chap.) Next thing we know we'll be damaging them unless we stay at home at their exclusive convenience until they're 30.

Monkeytrousers Mon 08-Sep-08 14:26:01

The media reports of the actual studies are sketchy and sensationalist.

Just do the best for your child that you can with the resources that you have and love them, listen to them and let them explore. That's the best anyone can do.

Tittybangbang Tue 09-Sep-08 17:44:52

"Next thing we know we'll be damaging them unless we stay at home at their exclusive convenience until they're 30"

Ummmm, not really.

And it's not just Steve Biddulph. There are a lot of child psychologists, neuroscientists and respected academics who have also raised concerns - NOT about working mothers specifically, but about the affect of group day care on the emotional development of children from 0 - 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now