Talk

Advanced search

Do you think this poem should be banned?

(95 Posts)
toolly Sat 06-Sep-08 21:32:10

Here it is www.sumption.org/2006/05/23/education-for-leisure
An invigilator things it glorifies knife crime. I think rather than watching people taking exams she should take some because this poem in no way glamorises street violence.

Sidge Sat 06-Sep-08 21:35:26

I think that's a horrible piece of writing.

marmadukescarlet Sat 06-Sep-08 21:41:46

How unpleasant.

mabanana Sat 06-Sep-08 21:43:04

Lot of great literature is about 'unpleasant' stuff! That's not how you judge it.

cutekids Sat 06-Sep-08 21:43:44

horrible...sickening actually

ParCark Sat 06-Sep-08 21:44:23

Message withdrawn

S1ur Sat 06-Sep-08 21:44:32

Course it shouldn't be banned, invigilator is a muppet.

nell12 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:45:26

It has an unpleasant subject, but that is not how it should be judged... it makes you think and puts you into the mindset of someone completely different to the norm

Good grief, no it should not be banned

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:46:19

Not a great poem ( can't stand her work) but I see what she's trying to do.

Ban a poem? FFS, get a grip.

TwoIfBySea Sat 06-Sep-08 21:46:51

It is a very disturbing piece...but it shouldn't be banned. Who is talking about banning it?

christiana Sat 06-Sep-08 21:47:05

Message withdrawn

toolly Sat 06-Sep-08 21:47:08

OK I understand some of you might find it unpleasant but do you think it should be banned from the GCSE curriculum. Does it glorify knife crime?

janeite Sat 06-Sep-08 21:47:45

I've taught this for quite a few years and think it is a superb poem and even fairly low-ability pupils can write very complex essays on it because they engage with it so well. It is certainly no more scary than

this

which is in the same anthology.

I think this ban is utterly ridiculous.

donnie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:48:37

it's a very good poem which I have taught many times at GCSE level. The speaker exists on the periphery of society. His boredom and lack of intellect are key. Read the papers.

Is Macbeth 'sickening'? after all, Duncan is stabbed to death is he not?

Witchcraft in The Crucible?

child rape in The Bluest Eye?

Violent Japanese POW camps in Empire of the Sun?

Incest in Hamlet?

beacause I have taught all the above texts and they are superb, important and profound works of literature.

Prove me wrong.

LilRedWG Sat 06-Sep-08 21:48:42

Very disturbing, but should not be banned.

Yurtgirl Sat 06-Sep-08 21:49:00

I think its a vile poem full of hate - Not what I want my child to be taught, regardless of whether it glorifies knife crime

janeite Sat 06-Sep-08 21:49:29

Go Donnie! Agree with every word you said.

LilRedWG Sat 06-Sep-08 21:50:12

Sorry - meant to say, it does not glorify knife crime in my eyes.

toolly Sat 06-Sep-08 21:51:11

BBC story here. http:/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7594566.stm

berolina Sat 06-Sep-08 21:52:03

Disturbing, yes, but very well and cleverly written. I have taught it too. Why ban it? It is anything but glorification of what it describes.

theSuburbanDryad Sat 06-Sep-08 21:52:50

Of course it doesn't glorify knife crime - quite the opposite IMO.

Invigilator obviously has never done an English GCSE - loads of horrible knife crime in Shakespeare and the Tennessee Williams stuff we did at A-Level was pretty horrific in places too!

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 21:53:54

Don't think it's great poetry, but banning it is daft - these things should be discussed and aired, ffs.

SammyK Sat 06-Sep-08 21:54:28

No poem should ever be banned IMO.

Yes even terrible poems about terrible things before anyone asks.

They are about self expression, or explring another world, or POV, or seeing things in a different light, or simply identifying with a feeling or situation.

You can't ban something because you find it unsettling. hmm

donnie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:54:31

basically I could list hundreds of poems/plays/novels/biogs which refer to violent matters or themes which people find uncomfortable. FFS Frankenstein digs up corpses and reanimates them with lightning....Blake's poems are full of references to squalid poverty and emaciated child labourers.

Shall I continue?

if people really want to know there were a paltry three - YES THREE- parental complaints which made AQA withdraw this poem. And I am willing to bet those parents don't actually understand the poem.

donnie Sat 06-Sep-08 21:55:28

Solzenitzyn was banned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now