Talk

Advanced search

is it unsisterly to think that Sarah Palin is horrid and the worst possible example of a woman in power

(376 Posts)
beforesunrise Sat 06-Sep-08 14:48:40

ok, I used to think that as women we ought to support other women to almost unreasonable levels. i was totally for Hillary despite Obama's star appeal.... but then came Sarah Palin. i abhor her and everything she stands for. i am incredibly disgusted by the level of PC that prevents people from stating the obvious, ie that she is an incredibly BAD mother and she gives women a bad name.. i mean WTF, going back to work after 3 DAYS of giving birth, exposing your pregnant 17 yo to national attentionand not being there for her while she needs you most... she keeps banging on about being a hockey mom but having delivered 5 children is not the same thing about being a good mum. she is also incredibly, scarily unqualified for the job. i cannot find one ounce of feminist feeling for her... and it makes me question my beliefs!

Carmenere Sat 06-Sep-08 14:51:06

She is a creationist. Which in my book means she is dim. But I think that we generally get the governments we deserve and she is no doubt going to be lionised in the UShmm

smallwhitecat Sat 06-Sep-08 14:51:46

Message withdrawn

Anna8888 Sat 06-Sep-08 14:51:57

Totally agree that she is vile but not for the reasons you state, particularly.

She appeals to a certain sort of (lower) middle America and she certainly isn't qualified for the job.

watsthestory Sat 06-Sep-08 14:52:09

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Sat 06-Sep-08 14:53:22

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Sat 06-Sep-08 15:00:00

Message withdrawn

Podrick Sat 06-Sep-08 15:04:47

It would be terrific to have a women in one of the top roles in the USA...but not THAT woman. I find her abhorrent.

expatinscotland Sat 06-Sep-08 15:09:28

she's a nutcase.

dittany Sat 06-Sep-08 15:11:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madlentileater Sat 06-Sep-08 15:12:12

worse even than Thatcher? (discuss)

FabioBadAssCat Sat 06-Sep-08 15:13:07

I don't care how much time she spends with her children but she's creepy.
All teeth and Elnett.

And McCain will get in.

[doom]

dittany Sat 06-Sep-08 15:13:33

squeaver Sat 06-Sep-08 15:14:31

this is funny

chelsygirl Sat 06-Sep-08 15:17:34

op, couldn't agree more

Heated Sat 06-Sep-08 15:19:52

Anti same-sex marriage, anti-abortion, anti-green issues, hunts, pro-gun ownership & investigation underway re sacking her exBIL...hmm...immaterial imo that she's a woman, her views are repugnant. Rednecks' dream woman.

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 15:20:12

I'm with Dittany here - i don't like SP, she worries me, she has some frankly bizarre ideas, and is probably not good news for the world as a whole. However, we don't judge male politicians on their domestic arrangements - I guess whether we should or not is another issue - so we have to judge SP by those same standards. And god knows there's enough to go on there.

dittany Sat 06-Sep-08 15:20:27

NorthernLurker Sat 06-Sep-08 15:22:04

why do we have to talk in terms of 'a woman in power' Nobody talks about the suitablity of male candidates in those terms. Perhaps we would would have more women in positions of influence - and therefore less chance for the Sarah Palin's of this world to reach high office as a 'token' - I hope, if we stoppped looking at the woman and started looking at the candidate. How many children she has and what she does with them is not essential to know imo - how many years of actual governing experience and how many dodgy lawsuits she may or may not be involved in - well that is essential stuff.

Heated Sat 06-Sep-08 15:23:15

Hope we all get invited to the shot-gun wedding though grin

dittany Sat 06-Sep-08 15:26:59

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 15:31:11

I suppose Obama is less of a loon, dittany, rather than it all being sexism (though as I said before, I agree that there is a strong sexist element in the coverage). McCain's policies, while thoroughly Republican, don't have the extreme edge that Palin's ideas bring to attract the American bible belt. I do think it's fair to spend some time criticising her extreme and quite bonkers views, while agreeing that more balance is required.

PeaMcLean Sat 06-Sep-08 15:31:36

Is it because as VP, she's a heartbeat away from the Presidency? If McCain as president did drop down dead, she'd be in charge?

that's scary. I don't care abuot her kids, or her hairspray. I care about her anti gay, anti choice, gun toting, creationist, climate change isn't man made, attitudes.

But do you know, McCain could have all those too. I just don't know.

So yes, we are focussing on her cos she's a woman. and that's wrong. But doesn't make her less scary as the person next in line to the presidency.

smallwhitecat Sat 06-Sep-08 15:31:42

Message withdrawn

Habbibu Sat 06-Sep-08 15:32:02

I wonder if there would be less of a fuss over Palin if McCain were younger?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: