Talk

Advanced search

apparently CRUZ is a girls name!!!

(50 Posts)
JoolsToo Mon 21-Feb-05 14:19:27

only the Beckhams!

jangly Mon 21-Feb-05 14:22:07

Oh, doesn't he look nice in that picture though!
Oh - sorry!

Fimbo Mon 21-Feb-05 14:22:56

IMO-Brooklyn sounds "girly" too, think its the "lyn" part!!

blueteddy Mon 21-Feb-05 14:25:01

I agree fimbo!
I think Brooklyn sounds even more girly than Cruz!

LIZS Mon 21-Feb-05 14:27:37

I haven't seen any "live" reports but how does DB pronounce it ? Strikes me he might have a bit of a problem getting his tongue around it ?

marialuisa Mon 21-Feb-05 14:41:50

DB pronounces it "cruise" as in Tom Cruise.

Chandra Mon 21-Feb-05 14:47:22

Yes, a girl name indeed... Though I could think of very religious families using it for boys as well. It's means cross as in Jesus at the cross.
Very out of use these days, unless you come from a rather "provincial" town.

katzguk Mon 21-Feb-05 14:49:17

crooth i think is how its pronounced

morningpaper Mon 21-Feb-05 14:49:59

Arnold Swartzenegger's political opponent was Cruz Bustamante - I don't think anyone accused him of being a GIRL.

Chandra Mon 21-Feb-05 14:56:11

I would say it's pronounced croosss in English, though probably cruis is nearer. Anyways my English pronunciation is rubish so don't trust me on that

Chandra Mon 21-Feb-05 14:57:24

MP. I believe he would have been vindicate from school times bulying (cruz's a girl, cruz's a girl) once it was proven he could fight Arny

Furball Mon 21-Feb-05 15:33:39

IMHO I often wonder how they think them up in the first place. Cruz is not that bad, when you think about Romeo, which really is laughable. But it seems if you are famous you have to come up with really outragious names, why? I don't know. Fifi Tribelle, Peaches, Apple the list goes on and on. What is wrong with John and Susan? If they did have more usual names, on their journey through life, they might be able to be abit more anonymous rather then everybody knowing the name but not necessarily the face. Quite bizarre.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Feb-05 15:36:37

What does it matter? They can call him what they like and he'll be fine because of who his parents are. It's any ordinary children who are named that I feel sory for.

JoolsToo Mon 21-Feb-05 15:42:34

way BACK in the 70's I knew someone who called their children Scarlett (which is quite popular now) and Rembrandt! each to their own of course but I just think - poor kids!

jangly Mon 21-Feb-05 16:21:21

I wonder if any kids in school would know that it can be a girl's name. Don't think it sounds particularly girly tbh.

morningpaper Mon 21-Feb-05 16:24:54

Hillary Benn seems to have survived.

Dyzzidi Mon 21-Feb-05 16:29:31

At least they havent just made it up I know a little girl called ElliKaa. Bizarre names are becoming more and more normal for everyone not just the beckhams.

I personally like traditional names but life would be boring if we were all the same.

Chandra Mon 21-Feb-05 16:33:18

Or Usnavy. after all if some boats are called Rosita why can't anybody use Usnavy.

There was an article in the news some years ago about a Brazillian village deep in the Amazons whose parents hd started to name their childre after car parts, there was one Bujia (spark plug?) anyways...

Gwenick Mon 21-Feb-05 16:34:59

It's all very well being the son/daughter of someone famous like a film star. But how many footballers from the 90's, 80's 70's etc are well remembered now? TBH once Cruz is at senior school (where IME 'most' of the bullying really takes shape) David will be in his 40's and will probably be resigned to the ranks of 'who?' - oh him!' and probably won't do any good for their 'credit' worthyness by then. If they were at school NOW it would be different as it would be 'wow you're DB's son' from the other kids......

Beetroot Mon 21-Feb-05 16:37:22

Message withdrawn

alux Mon 21-Feb-05 16:37:23

In Latin America I have heard Cruz used as a masculine name, mostly around the older generation though. Our granpa's. In Latin America it is pronounced CRUS - with a short 'U' sound as in 'UP' and an 'S' sound like the English 'S'. Latinos don't lisp their sibilants.

mummytummy Mon 21-Feb-05 16:37:27

I didn't even know she was pregnant, and then I heard the name on the news last night. The first thing that I thought was that it was Cruise because that's where he was conceived!! I'm so behind on my celeb gossip!

doggiewalker Mon 21-Feb-05 16:38:06

Crooth as if you're talking with lisp.

JoolsToo Mon 21-Feb-05 16:41:42

so .... if we can't even decide on how to pronouce the poor childs name - he's in trouble already!

WestCountryLass Mon 21-Feb-05 19:46:44

I agree with the 'lyn' part of Brooklyn making the name feminine. I don't think it matters that Cruz was once a girls name, plenty of people are calling their girls traditionally boys names so why not vice versa?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: