Talk

Advanced search

Mayor raises bus and Tube fares

(15 Posts)
FAQ Thu 04-Sep-08 13:47:25

here

So they try to encourage people to use public tranposrt to get to work, then put prices up for those travelling before 9.30am [confused]

Alambil Thu 04-Sep-08 13:51:49

cos they're greedy money grabbing doodars... I went on the tube the other day; prices should be coming DOWN for having to put up with squashed, smelly, dirty and really rather unpleasant looking trains to use IMO!

PerkinWarbeck Thu 04-Sep-08 13:57:46

so fares go up to pay for Boris Johnson's pointless new routemaster hmm

AtheneNoctua Thu 04-Sep-08 17:35:23

I think Ken Livingstone did some spending of his own.

Kimi Thu 04-Sep-08 17:43:47

They have to subserdise [sp] the fact that children travel free and people on some benefits get half price/ free travel...

Take the pee really

FAQ Thu 04-Sep-08 17:47:39

why not make it affordable for everyone (or maybe that's too simple a concept for them to cope with........)

AMAZINWOMAN Thu 04-Sep-08 17:48:01

Public transport in London is a lot cheaper than the North of England!

Callisto Thu 04-Sep-08 21:43:37

London transport rocks - be grateful you have such a fantastic, integrated and London-wide transport system. Where I live we get 1 bus a day if we're lucky.

christywhisty Fri 05-Sep-08 13:51:01

Had to put with the hyposcracy of Ken Livingstone on the radio yesterday. He put fares up for non ostercard users by far more than the 6% mentioned here.
My train fare went up by 33% one year because of his policies and I don't even live in London. Children's fares went up by 400% on the trains under his leadership.

CatIsSleepy Fri 05-Sep-08 13:53:54

christy does the Mayor have any control over train fares? thought it was just bus and tube

policywonk Fri 05-Sep-08 13:54:25

So much for BoJo's claims to be environmentally friendly. Actions speak louder than words: new carbon charge scrapped, public transport fares up.

MrsMattie Fri 05-Sep-08 13:54:31

FFS it is already so expensive.

TheCrackFox Fri 05-Sep-08 16:15:10

Buses in Edinburgh went up by 10% a few months ago. Not a massive surprise with the price of fuel being what it is.

christywhisty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:26:15

Transport for London has control over the fare zones and travel cards etc.
TFL have decided they need a "zone 7" which covers the stations just outside London and forced the train companies to alter their fares accordingly.This is for the Oyster cards but that doesn't come into effect for a long time
The first station in "zone 7" fares went up 45%! Mine went up 30%

When the £5 children's travel card came into effect I was told by the ticket man at Liverpool Street that it was TFL who brought in the charge. A few months later I heard Ken Livingstone on the radio apologising for it. They thought they had got away with it. That was about 2 years ago.
Now if I buy a travel card for a child from my station it is now £2 (it used to be a £1) but if I buy the same ticket in London it will cost £5!

bobthebuddha Fri 05-Sep-08 17:57:53

Boris says it's due to Ken's reckless promises to the electorate - Ken says Londoners are now how expensive Boris is going to be (forget the actual press-release quote. In fact, I can't find these press releases Ken is always supposed to be firing off. Anyone know where online they are?).

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it under our Ken that the cash price for a single bus fare went up to £2 and a single Tube journey to a whopping £4? And you can complain that new Routemasters will be costly (I wouldn't be surprised if the scheme was shelved anyway), but the Bendies cost a pretty penny, and the lack of conductors means that fare-dodging costs a fortune. Surely this is one area Ken has no real right to carp on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now