Talk

Advanced search

I'm a bit puzzled by the arson mansion story

(8 Posts)
surprise Mon 01-Sep-08 17:08:42

I appreciate that the police can't say whether or not the bodies are those of Mr Foster and his daughter, but surely the way it's being reported makes it sound like it's some other man whose body they've found? Usually they'd say soemthing along the lines of "the body, thought to be that of...." but they haven't. Any journos out there have any idea why it's being reported in this way?

Terrible situation btw sad

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 17:10:17

because it's speculative.

NO ONE knows until he's formally identified.

and it's never a good idea to speculate in a case like this.

Macdog Mon 01-Sep-08 17:10:52

I've been wondering the same thing.
Horrible story sad

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 17:12:33

think about if it were you son, daughter or relative who was in that house.

imagine hearing news reports that it was thought to be him and then it turned out not to be?

VERY painful.

best to just keep mum till they know one way or another, for the rest of the family's sake, too.

surprise Mon 01-Sep-08 17:20:56

Yes I do understand that, but it's puzzling me why the media aren't speculating, as they usually would. Do they know something we don't and have been told to keep it under wraps?

Quattrocento Mon 01-Sep-08 17:26:08

There's bundles of newspaper coverage. Front page news on the Times yesterday and today

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4652343.ece

They've found a third body now so it sounds as though all three have been accounted for. It does sound as though it was the father, but I suspect the full story won't come out until (or unless) the forensics establish the facts of who died first etc.

Flier Mon 01-Sep-08 17:26:36

well, they are saying that they had to call in experts to help to remove the body from the house, and they didn't know how long it would take to be able to remove the body. So I think there is something else happening that they can't report on and that they can't speculate on.

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 17:27:59

"The body of a man, believed to be that of Mr Foster, 50, has also been found and tests are being carried out to confirm the identity." Telegraph

"The man found beside her is believed to be her husband Christopher, 50. A rifle owned legally by Mr Foster was nearby." Mail

"Another body, thought to be that of her father, Christopher, 50, was also found on Friday night but has yet to be identified formally." Times

BBC won't ever commit without confirmation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now